Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167800 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #930 on: April 30, 2020, 03:17:51 pm »

I prefer cannibal camps -- it adds a little extra spice to know that you can get eaten at any point
Love, scriver~

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: December 10, 2020, 08:40:32 am »

After many KOs and taking turns resting on our only bedroll, I have finally cleared out the TOWER OF GOATS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Prizes consist of dozens of chewed up books, numerous dead goats (most of them eaten by a friendly nomad bone dog after skinning), and one (1) ancient science book.

The real treasure was the friends we made along the way, I suppose.

I love the dumb shit like this.

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: December 10, 2020, 09:39:50 am »

What actually happens when you get your ass kicked by bandits attacking your outpost? Do they just, like, leave?
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: December 10, 2020, 01:44:36 pm »

What actually happens when you get your ass kicked by bandits attacking your outpost? Do they just, like, leave?
I'm not gonna say definitively, because I've never had it happen, but if they're just normal bandits, it makes perfect sense for them to beat you up (maybe loot your people for food and stuff) and then just scamper off. That's what they do anywhere else.

It's worth noting that you do not have to sit there and take the beating if you're not up for it. If you know bandits are coming you can just skedaddle out of your outpost and stealth on a nearby hillside until they get bored and leave. I've done this, and the bandits didn't seem interested in knocking down my stuff or taking any of my stockpiles of worthlessprecious rocks. Which is kind of hilarious.

"Hey, Rick, didn't you say there were some guys here?"
"Yeah, I did."
"... I don't see any guys, Rick."
"I'm telling you, give it a few more hours. They're probably just making a run for building supplies or something. See, look at all the crap they built around here."
"Rick, it's been like half a day. I'm getting hungry."
"Yeah, obviously that's why we're here. We're hungry bandits, remember?"
"So, should we like, take the food that they're growing in that farm over there? Or take the stuff in those chests and sell it for food somewhere?"
"Pfft, no. What a stupid idea. Let's just leave."
"Okay..."
"Aw, cheer up, Hotlongs. I'm sure they'll be here next week."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 01:49:17 pm by Nighthawk »

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: December 10, 2020, 02:35:29 pm »

Varies. Sometimes they "Take it over" (Sit around patrolling it indefinitely), other times they just steal all your food and leave. Sometimes they bug out and spend the rest of eternity "ransacking" your town, but instead just running between every building. From what I've been told, that happens when they're looking for food but you lack a food bin of some kind.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: December 10, 2020, 04:54:10 pm »

Varies. Sometimes they "Take it over" (Sit around patrolling it indefinitely), other times they just steal all your food and leave. Sometimes they bug out and spend the rest of eternity "ransacking" your town, but instead just running between every building. From what I've been told, that happens when they're looking for food but you lack a food bin of some kind.

You can usually fix that behavior by engaging them in battle.  Most bandits/factions/whatever leave after beating up someone.

If that doesn't work, I guess you'll just have to hire a ton of mercs and take 'em out.

After many KOs and taking turns resting on our only bedroll, I have finally cleared out the TOWER OF GOATS.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Prizes consist of dozens of chewed up books, numerous dead goats (most of them eaten by a friendly nomad bone dog after skinning), and one (1) ancient science book.

The real treasure was the friends we made along the way, I suppose.

I love the dumb shit like this.
..at least you got the one ancient science book.  Some adventures end with the only prize being amputated limbs that you can now replace with robot limbs.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: December 14, 2020, 10:57:18 am »

That's what I did at the temporary hub camp I built in my first game. I didn't realize how cheap and fast walls were so I never even built one.

When I moved out I built a town at some large metal wreckage near the edge of the fog zone at a sort of crossroads between the towns distantly south and the Western hives.

Cannibals liked to visit and they had the behavior you described running inside and outside of a single building before running off a day or two later. The only thing to remember is to make sure to bring some food when your populace is hiding, because they will run back to grab lunch otherwise.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: December 14, 2020, 11:38:40 am »

The behavior of camp take overs is why I quit playing Kenshi. Not knowing if they'd leave your base, if their AI was broken and what kind of shenanigans you'd have to get up to, to snap them out of it, sapped all the fun out of the game for me.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: December 14, 2020, 01:27:03 pm »

The behavior of camp take overs is why I quit playing Kenshi. Not knowing if they'd leave your base, if their AI was broken and what kind of shenanigans you'd have to get up to, to snap them out of it, sapped all the fun out of the game for me.
It is indeed frustrating, but I have to admit I did have some fun when it happened once and I suddenly had to leave behind 3 of my squadies to die, being forced to sneak outside my walls to pick out enemy patrols and then having to raise money and travel around the major cities looking for a mercenary band who could help me defeat the main force inside and retake the outpost.

Like most things Kenshi you kinda have to fill in the blanks with your imagination and try not to think too hard about how broken and unfinished everything is.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: December 14, 2020, 02:40:18 pm »

I had one game where I managed to take my base back from the BDN because a caravan came through and the animals went apeshit. Between the animals, the caravaneers, we were able to take out all the BDN. But that was a lucky occurrence. Every other time it's been a game of bait-and-seek that usually ends up with all my dudes in the dirt and whatever AI entity just standing around waiting for something to aggro again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: December 16, 2020, 03:41:21 am »

Like most things Kenshi you kinda have to fill in the blanks with your imagination and try not to think too hard about how broken and unfinished everything is.
It's why I'm looking forward to Kenshi 2 so much. I love this game, but the jankiness and glitches take a fair bit away from it. Having it done on the Unreal engine will hopefully fix a lot of those issues, along with updating the graphics and hopefully making it not spend 5 minutes loading when you jump to a character elsewhere in the world.

I had one game where I managed to take my base back from the BDN because a caravan came through and the animals went apeshit. Between the animals, the caravaneers, we were able to take out all the BDN. But that was a lucky occurrence. Every other time it's been a game of bait-and-seek that usually ends up with all my dudes in the dirt and whatever AI entity just standing around waiting for something to aggro again.
The rule of thumb from what I was told is to establish a camp *after* you've got a strong enough squad to take out basic threats like dust bandits.

I decided to do one game where I set up from the get-go, within a week everyone was pretty good at fighting because of all the starving and dust bandits they had to slaughter. By the second time the Black Dragon Ninjas came, they got flattened. Then I went to their tower and splattered them.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

IonMatrix

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUTAGEN_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: December 23, 2020, 08:33:32 am »

Does anyone know a mod that adds a healing rate multiplier to cages or a bed that restrains prisoners or something. Because the rate of my prisoners are healing at are GOD AWFUL, and I really need some stuff to punch at.

I mean yeah, I can just get more prisoners, but I'm kind of on space shortage right now.
"Mutagen"! Such a lovely word! I simply MUST have more mutagen!

*sigh* I can't believe I play this game...

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: December 23, 2020, 08:55:49 am »

I don't know of any such mod but I think you can put prisoners (humanoids at least) in one of your beds to get them to heal (though you'll need be watchful incase they wake up).

Alternatively you could try to add the "sleeping" functionality to the cages and adjust the rate accordingly through the FCS and see if it works.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: December 23, 2020, 09:12:04 am »

Furniture has to HAVE healing rate in order for it to work.  Furniture can only have one function, be that as a bed with increased healing rate OR a cage that keeps people from escaping.  Since furniture can't do both, I don't see a way to do it.  Maybe someone else has mastered it.

You can however put unconscious prisoners on beds.  You can also put beds in a building and lock the door, then they would have to defeat the door's lock to get out.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: December 23, 2020, 07:19:51 pm »

Animals who are knocked out benefit from bed/cushion healing rates, which suggests they're some sort of area of effect. You may be able to install cushions under your cages or something.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 68