Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 166200 times)

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:43:36 pm »

http://www.lofigames.com/index.php

Kenshi is a self proclaimed SRPG(RTS+RPG) that takes place in a huge, single, dynamic, and changing world much like Dwarf Fortress.

From the home page:
Kenshi is a single player free-roaming Role Playing Game, with a Real-Time Strategy influence. Its squad-based, meaning you have a whole team of characters who can split up and go to different ends of the world. The game world is 400 square km of seamless terrain with a world map screen for fast-travel, Fallout style. You can play with one character, or with 50, and there are advantages to both. Combat is real-time and is based on swords and bows, action beat-em up style but with RPG stats influencing the outcome. No Magic. No fantasy cliches. Think of a combination of X-Com Apocalypse and Oblivion.

Features: (Planned)
-Original take on the RTS-RPG hybrid genre. No "hero" characters with artificially stronger stats than everybody else-  Every character and NPC you meet is potentially an equal, and has a name, a life.
-You are not the chosen one.  You're not great and powerful. You don't have more 'hitpoints' than everyone else. You are not the center of the universe, and you are not special.
-Freeform gameplay in a seamless game world stretching over 400 square kilometers.  The game will never seek to limit you or restrict your personal play style.
-Unique real time combat system, based on motion capture and developed by an actual martial artist and sword practitioner. Despite being an RPG, combat is action-game-grade and fast paced. No longer do characters stand there like idiots taking turns to hit each other. There are no "dice rolls", game mechanics are not based on archaic board game rules.
-Intelligent AI that allows for characters to reason and work towards long-term goals and desires. Squads work together and carry their wounded to safety.
-Variation and possibilities of gameplay. Be good, be evil, be a business man, be a thief, live in a town, live in the desert, join the army, fight the army, travel alone, travel in hordes, build a fortress, raze a city.
-Dynamic, ever changing world. Support or hinder whoever you wish, or keep to yourself, the world won't stop moving. This is not just a "game", you are living and surviving in a simulated world.
-Absolutely no Level-scaling.  The world does not level up along with you, and the shops don't change their inventory to only items matching your level. At the start of the game almost everyone will be stronger than you, and survival will always be a struggle.
-Independently developed with no design influences, or alterations dictated by men in gray suits who have never played a game before in their lives.
-Original game world. There are no fantasy-knock-off cliches. No magic.

More info can be found in the FAQ section: http://www.lofigames.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=6&Itemid=53

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXcuZV77UJY&feature=player_embedded
  -Purchase-
 https://secure.bmtmicro.com/servlets/Orders.ShoppingCart?CID=7170&PRODUCTID=71700000
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:18:57 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 07:48:35 pm »

Looks interesting. Not checked out the site yet, so a few questions: First, if it isn't out yet, when will it be out? Secondly, what's the price tag looking like?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:53:34 pm »

Looks interesting. Not checked out the site yet, so a few questions: First, if it isn't out yet, when will it be out? Secondly, what's the price tag looking like?
The site says Mid 2011... Hmmm...
I can't find anything about price right now, -snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:06:41 pm by MasterFancyPants »
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 08:19:57 pm »

Too good to be true?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 08:24:08 pm »

Oh I had remembered this game but forgot what it was called. News section of the site seems to be updated recently, hope they are still on track.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 09:07:42 pm »

Oh yeah, I've seen this game before. I'd written it off as vaporware though. Glad to see it's still being worked on.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 09:14:34 pm »

Depending on just how well this is done, I can see it being absolutely amazing or mind-numbingly tedious.
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 09:15:20 pm »

Oh wow, this is still going? I remember finding this a year or two ago.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 10:03:32 pm »

Sounds cool.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 02:02:12 am »

Sounds really good. Keeping an eye on it, expecting to be sad.

NovaNero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel :P
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 06:43:28 am »

Wow sounds amazing. I really hope this doesn't get cancelled and actually comes out.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 07:21:21 am »

No "hero" characters with artificially stronger stats than everybody else-  Every character and NPC you meet is potentially an equal, and has a name, a life.
But.. But.. I can't even win a game if I am stronger than everybody else! How am I going to play this game >.>

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:54:19 am »

Will the game be moddable?

Yes, the game is totally data driven and will be released with the same editors that are used to make the game.

I'm in. Though I don't see why they skipped on the magic, they could easily make it a non-cliche and a non-chosen-one kind of magic system if they wanted to. And I love me some magic. Guess I'll see if that's moddable too.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 09:12:00 am »

Any ETA on when the downloads will be back up? All links on the site and forum 404'd.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 10:51:01 am »

Any ETA on when the downloads will be back up? All links on the site and forum 404'd.

I just made a post on their forums asking if anyone had a back up: http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=334
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 68