Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 166205 times)

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 10:48:01 am »

Incredible concept, I really hope this gets off the ground!
Poysky Productions

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 11:56:14 am »

Fifteen bucks for a tech demo. Ha!
Sounds like Miner Wars.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:35 am »

The idea is good, but I doubt it'll ever pan out, especially since the creator seems to be pretty laid back about it. And yes, his business plan of 'I'll sell the alpha and then take the profits and hire more staff' is.... not going to work out the way he thinks it will.
The only things he's planning to hire people for are some tedious programming and art. It's just fine as a strategy, and it will work, but it's certainly not the best course of action, especially for something that's partially a personal project. It's a bit like completely re-doing a room yourself, but hiring people to do the walls and floor as they think would be best.

Actually, you're pre-purchasing the game, at a discounted price, and getting a demo as a bonus.

EDIT: OK, I think my biggest problem with this is that he expects people to pay for a game as soon as it's playable - not even in its alpha stage. That's just not something people do; he's taking their money in exchange for a poorly-programmed, barren world and promises of awesomeness.

There's also this: Once he's taken peoples' money, the entire project has to change. He's not just working at his own rate on a game that will satisfy him as an end-product. He is working on a game that people have already paid for, but do not yet have. It's like he's taken a loan, from people nice enough to give one but not quite nice enough to go without interest. The longer he takes to get the final product out, the more it will take to satisfy his customers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 12:12:41 pm by Lectorog »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 12:42:58 pm »

There's obviously a lot of potential here, but I'm not ready to part with any money yet.  Definitely keeping an eye on this one though.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2011, 01:22:50 pm »

Sounds like Miner Wars.
And this is why I'm staying away. I'll be over here, watching for everyone else's reactions in six months.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2011, 02:48:47 pm »

Dunno, that IS one way to look at it. I think he just needs to be shown a bit of support, the concept is absolutely amazing in all honesty. Kind of like a jagged alliance meets mount and blade meets oblivion or something. Definitely something I'm interested in :P.
Poysky Productions

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2011, 07:05:10 pm »

Quote from: Maker Person
It will cost 10 Euros, and be in the form of a playable demo that you unlock by purchasing.  The price will gradually increase over time, and there will be regular updates and improvements to the game.

Doesn't that mean that you download the demo and pay for the full unlock?
Reminds me a little of Minecraft, really.
You can play creative... or you can buy the rest!
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2011, 08:36:18 pm »

Quote from: Maker Person
It will cost 10 Euros, and be in the form of a playable demo that you unlock by purchasing.  The price will gradually increase over time, and there will be regular updates and improvements to the game.

Doesn't that mean that you download the demo and pay for the full unlock?
Reminds me a little of Minecraft, really.
You can play creative... or you can buy the rest!
I don't see why there would be regular updates if nobody got them.
I think you buy the demo, which is upgraded - in installments - to the full game.
The lack of clarity kind of bugged me, too.

Bitoru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:17 pm »

This looks like a lame version of Mount & Blade.

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 04:16:48 pm »

Actually while I might be inclined to think that it DOES in fact look like mount and blade, I have to say that it doesn't look lame. It looks to be an Srpg in which you can directly impact the world in many ways. M&B is one of my all time favorites, but I think this, if done correctly, will trump it. Being able to build your own buildings, decide exactly where to go, and not be limited to an overhead map or something, is really neat. I could see myself pillaging rice trade lanes or exploiting a town for protection money or.. wow, I'm an asshole....
Poysky Productions

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 10:55:42 pm »

Anyone have a torrent to the demo or anything?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09:15 pm »

You might want to redact that, someone got a week mute for asking for that kind of thing recently.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 11:29:18 pm »

ummm...why? have you read the forum for the project...let me copy paste what the guy said about it...

http://www.lofigames.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=143&start=20
Re: 0.14 demo released

Postby Chris_The_Great » Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:39 pm

Suta wrote:So I assume theres a perfectly good reason why the demo is still unavailable?
    Less site work means more game work, right?

Exactly. Plus I no longer actually have a copy of the old demo or the zips. If anyone still has them and wants to make them public or torrented I wont complain, but I'm too busy to do it myself. Working on the big bad new demo.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2011, 11:32:14 pm »

Ah. Thats probably fine then.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2011, 11:45:57 pm »

yeah that was in reference to the 0.14 Demo...I searched and didn't find a 0.15 Demo and there were current posts asking for 0.14...but alas I am not finding it anywhere
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 68