Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167871 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #585 on: October 16, 2018, 09:53:21 am »

You might consider getting the Defensive Gates 10x HP & 50% Quicker repair mod, 10x hp sounds unbalanced but it still takes almost no time for a group of hostiles to breach it (except the final tier gate, but that shouldn't reasonably be falling to anything short of a serious attack), mostly it lets you actually respond to the attack.  I don't know if it's available through the Nexus, but it can be subscribed to on the Steam workshop.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:55:36 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: October 19, 2018, 01:04:58 pm »

I made my first mod for kenshi! It's just a simple gamestart mod that makes a duplicate of the cannibals start for the new experimental, but with five characters instead of the new two.
Love, scriver~

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: October 19, 2018, 07:57:23 pm »

Are the bandit raids any less buggy in the experimental branch? Getting a little tired of bandits going into ransack mode and packing themselves in to a building so tightly they will never leave, and automatically go back to ransacking after they've dealt with interruptions. Going to have to re-import my game again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: October 19, 2018, 08:02:19 pm »

Unfortunately no, the devs are pretty focused on finishing the map and getting everything ready for the final bug-fixing and balance passes.  We can probably expect progress on that front in a month or so, depending on how things go.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #589 on: October 19, 2018, 08:31:01 pm »

In the last base I made I put a long path into the gate area that includes turrets overlooking the gate and put skeletons on them (no food, so never leave their posts). The skeletons' portraits turning red alerted me to enemies trying to break in, and they tend to shoot a few dead as they approach and while they bash the gate.

I also recommend the 10x hp mod for gates. Gates are paper without that mod.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: October 20, 2018, 04:57:26 am »

Sometimes I am reminded that there are things about Kenshi's combat that are just plain asinine, such as weapon AoE.

Case in point, I just had a shek proving hit my advance outpost, it is staffed by a team with seventies in their combat stats and they have pretty solid armor and weapons, no problem right?  Wrong.  Every single shek, while possessing only around fifties in combat stats,  had a plank.  You know, that stupid six foot length of steel that's about six inches broad from the base all the way to the tip?

So while my fighters have no problem blocking the incoming attacks from the guy in front of them, the AoE from the other guys proceeds to tear through them like they're not even there.  This is so goddamned stupid it actually caused me to ragequit.

To put that in context, at the exact same time I was fighting my way into the crater, and my main team (ten strong, best gear and weapons, very battle hardened) were getting their asses handed to them by a literal army of beak things.  Did I quit over that?  No.  I just calmly organized my team and focused on clearing out  the beak things in small groups while keeping the bulk busy with my heavies.

I'm probably gonna have to import to resolve that fucking stupidity.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 05:10:46 am by NullForceOmega »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #591 on: October 20, 2018, 05:01:42 pm »

You just have to space out your guys in fights like that. It's a bit micro-managey but if you keep your guys far enough apart not to get hit by the other combatants' AoEs you'll do better.

Planks are great for guarding gates for that reason. You can set one highly skilled guy to just stand on the gate and target the lower skilled enemies and watch their entire group get demolished as they cram in trying to get through. Even if the Holy Nation sends an invasion you can target the lower skilled troops and watch the highly skilled ones get hit by the AoE.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #592 on: October 20, 2018, 06:02:01 pm »

Which is pretty dumb.
I agree that it's good there are AoE weapons, especially since the game loves throwing hordes at you.
It boggles the mind that adjacent targets get no attempt to avoid an attack.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #593 on: October 20, 2018, 07:05:18 pm »

In the earlier versions (like...years ago, kenshi is a very old game) indirect targets would have a parry roll. Why they changed that, I have no idea.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: October 20, 2018, 08:51:19 pm »

Situation awareness i guess, if your awareness is high enough you see the cleave coming, else tou get hit because tou didnt see it coming
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: October 20, 2018, 11:59:49 pm »

You just have to space out your guys in fights like that. It's a bit micro-managey but if you keep your guys far enough apart not to get hit by the other combatants' AoEs you'll do better.

Planks are great for guarding gates for that reason. You can set one highly skilled guy to just stand on the gate and target the lower skilled enemies and watch their entire group get demolished as they cram in trying to get through. Even if the Holy Nation sends an invasion you can target the lower skilled troops and watch the highly skilled ones get hit by the AoE.

I know how to fight massed groups, didn't you read the part of my post that described my approach to fighting the beak things?

The problem is that they hit me with a much larger group than my defenders which lead to my people getting bum-rushed into a corner and cut down.

I've already dropped the better part of five hundred hours on this game and have done almost every bit of content it has (with the exception of the SE quadrant, I've only barely scratched the surface of that.)  I don't need advice, I'm venting about what I would consider a very questionable design decision.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: October 21, 2018, 12:35:44 am »

Got the Gate mod. Got to enjoy gunning down a couple hordes at my gates with turret and crossbow fire. But it does feel a little OP now. I'm sure tougher groups will balance it out.

Also turrets, wow. Shooting people down in one shot is kinda glorious.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: October 21, 2018, 07:26:26 am »

Yeah, really, a well constructed gate area is by far the best defense you can have.  I've got two gates with eight of the highest-tier harpoon guns on each, nothing survives for any length of time, not even leviathans.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 20, 2018, 06:30:15 pm »

Version 1.0 Release Date has been set for December 6th.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 20, 2018, 07:43:31 pm »

Reads like it's only bug fixes from now on? That they may not continue any other development beyond 1.0. If true I guess I don't really blame them, 12 years is a slog and they're probably happy to be at 1.0 and able to say done. Was kinda hoping they'd continue to dev for it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 08:24:05 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 68