Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 68

Author Topic: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG  (Read 167539 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: Kenshi - An open ended, squad-based Strategy RPG
« Reply #735 on: February 19, 2019, 06:34:32 am »

Yeah, it sounds like your Honchos are still too weak to mount a full on assault of whatever mine he gets sent to. Your best option for a break out is pretty much right away. If you wait too long they'll keep your character half starved, reducing your stats to the point where escape is impossible. Of course, to escape you'll actually need your guy to have some lockpicking skill. If he doesn't have it, your next best option would be to quickly train someone else in lockpicking+sneak and hope they can get close to him later.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: February 19, 2019, 10:46:19 am »

If you're really desperate to get your guy out quickly there's a kind of exploity method you can employ.  Once you get dropped off at your work site hop in a cage that is on a regular patrol route and put the character in sneak mode.  Your sneak skill will skyrocket as long as there is at least one guard nearby, once you hit an acceptable sneak level (50 is good, but you can max out your sneak doing this if you want, in just a few days at that) then start picking the lock of your manacles, that should train you up to an acceptable picklock to make good your escape.

You can also skip the exploity sneak training and just do the lockpicking and then try to sneak out normally, that is totally doable too.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: February 19, 2019, 11:30:09 am »

Except you still have to have enough skill with lockpicking in the first place (5% chance per attempt) to unlock your shackles. And there's no guarantee you'll get your lockpicking high enough with just the manacles to escape your cage.
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: February 19, 2019, 11:32:45 am »

Whenever I have been taken prisoner, if the character didn't have lockpicling skill already, they'd have so within minutes. How fast it rises is almost an exploit by itself.
Love, scriver~

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: February 19, 2019, 12:49:29 pm »

Except you still have to have enough skill with lockpicking in the first place (5% chance per attempt) to unlock your shackles. And there's no guarantee you'll get your lockpicking high enough with just the manacles to escape your cage.

I once got stuck right in the beginning of a run because my character's cage was too far away from any other slaves and I was (un)lucky enough to unlock my shackles on the first try.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: February 19, 2019, 11:27:11 pm »

I have a mod to fix that, no more minimum required skill. You need to get that lockpick skill somehow, and there isn't always locks of the right level scattered around.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: February 20, 2019, 05:38:09 am »

I'm genuinely not sure what people are talking about, here. I've never had trouble lockpicking my way out of cages or prisoner poles, even with a brand new character. I did the Enslaved start, and my biggest challenge was figuring out how to get past the gate guards rather than escaping my bonds each night.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: February 20, 2019, 06:08:58 am »

You need to have a certain level (depending on which lock) of lockpicking before the game lets you to pick it. If the slavers put you in a somewhat isolated cage then you can't train your lockpicking by unlocking the shackles from other prisoners because you can't reach them while you are in said cage. That leaves you with only your own shackles to train on and if you happen to unlock them on your first tries then your lockpicking will not be raised enough to then unlock the cage.

Granted this is somewhat rare but it can happen. Maybe I was just unlucky but for whatever reason the slavers wouldn't take my character out to work/move in another cage, so I was stuck for 3-4 days inside a cage, before I got bored and started over.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: February 20, 2019, 06:12:09 am »

The solution to that is to throw out your shackles, then the slavers will put a new set on.  At least they always have for me.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: February 20, 2019, 06:17:35 am »

I did. They weren't even coming in the same building I was.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: February 20, 2019, 08:05:59 am »

You need to have a certain level (depending on which lock) of lockpicking before the game lets you to pick it. If the slavers put you in a somewhat isolated cage then you can't train your lockpicking by unlocking the shackles from other prisoners because you can't reach them while you are in said cage. That leaves you with only your own shackles to train on and if you happen to unlock them on your first tries then your lockpicking will not be raised enough to then unlock the cage.

Granted this is somewhat rare but it can happen. Maybe I was just unlucky but for whatever reason the slavers wouldn't take my character out to work/move in another cage, so I was stuck for 3-4 days inside a cage, before I got bored and started over.
That's what I'm confused about. Fresh character, locked in a cage, still able to get out of the cage before the first night is out. I didn't even bother with the shackles for some time, I merely got in and out of the cage multiple times.

Something isn't matching up, here. I have found chests that were too complicated for a newbie to successfully pick, but I've never had issues with cages or prisoner poles.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: February 20, 2019, 08:19:17 am »

Since locks are randomized it is possible to get one that is too high to pick, I've had it happen with a prisoner pole specifically.  Very rare but it does sometimes happen.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: February 20, 2019, 01:50:22 pm »

Yeah, some slave camps have noticeably higher lock levels than other ones. It's also just randomized within the camp, so it's totally possible to get stuck in a high level cage and have to get creative to get out.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: February 20, 2019, 08:45:15 pm »

Speaking of lockpicking: I just started over fresh with the "Slaves" scenario. So far it is lots of deliberately failed escape attempts to get more-or-less safe stealth, thievery, assassination, toughness, lockpick, and dodge training. I'm sure the guards hate me.

I could probably have escaped long ago, but all the training opportunities makes it hard to want to leave...

EDIT: Keep removing your shackles and putting them in your inventory for some easy strength training weights.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 09:21:28 pm by milo christiansen »
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: February 22, 2019, 03:45:39 pm »

That's what I'm confused about. Fresh character, locked in a cage, still able to get out of the cage before the first night is out. I didn't even bother with the shackles for some time, I merely got in and out of the cage multiple times.

Something isn't matching up, here. I have found chests that were too complicated for a newbie to successfully pick, but I've never had issues with cages or prisoner poles.

I agree.  I've noticed its incredibly easy to escape slavery, because the stupid slavers always send my characters outside of the base to mine/farm something.  Just wait for that, then for the guard to get called away, and hoof it.  It does take patience, but it happens.  Plus, my characters get free training in athletics, laboring/farming, lockpicking, and maybe even stealth (although usually just running when the guards aren't looking is the best option).
...and since we can make money by selling our own people into slavery, its even more fun!

EDIT: Just read the bit about some cages/poles being too high, that kind of sucks.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 68