Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Option to disable the bogeymen?  (Read 8541 times)

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Option to disable the bogeymen?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 01:43:07 pm »

But... all you have to do is have one companion with you and they won't appear. Also, just do some powerleveling and get your dodge/block skill up there and they can't really do anything to you unless you let them surround you on all sides or something.

I hate bogeymen because when I become über legendary and I'm killing all the megabeasts and titans and it takes weeks for a single round trip there and back to a/the fortress, they are unbelievably annoying when I get stopped ~3 times a night every single night on those treks. I won't sleep for most of the time (only when I'm very drowsy) so constantly getting interrupted by things that take me 8 seconds to kill can get pretty irritating.

Imagine you are driving to work, but every 12 feet a dog runs in front of your path and you have to wait for it to pass before you can go on.

Now imagine you don't bother waiting for this dog and you kill it anyway, but there are multiple dogs, and you have to stop for them regardless, get out of your car, take out your tyre iron and beat each one of them before you can get back in your car and move another 12 feet before another 7 dogs come out and block your path. That's what bogeymen are to me.

P.S. I am not an animal abuser :P

P.P.S. I don't take companions because I view it as more of an accomplishment to do everything alone.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 01:53:05 pm by RayesKotrora »

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2011, 02:58:30 pm »

I think they're made to be a nuisance. Nasty creatures of the night, tick, this way the player learns that night is dangerous in adventure mode.
And it's only going to get worse with the next update.
Brains >:D
I hope wandering zombies, rogue necromancers and whining emo's will replace the current bogeymen...
And that's just the tip of the iceberg  :o
AAARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

President Richard Nixon is coming in the new update?
The irony of that statement is funny.

Zombies are coming, but what I was referencing was werewolves.  :P

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2011, 04:01:57 pm »

But... all you have to do is have one companion with you and they won't appear. Also, just do some powerleveling and get your dodge/block skill up there and they can't really do anything to you unless you let them surround you on all sides or something.

I hate bogeymen because when I become über legendary and I'm killing all the megabeasts and titans and it takes weeks for a single round trip there and back to a/the fortress, they are unbelievably annoying when I get stopped ~3 times a night every single night on those treks. I won't sleep for most of the time (only when I'm very drowsy) so constantly getting interrupted by things that take me 8 seconds to kill can get pretty irritating.

Imagine you are driving to work, but every 12 feet a dog runs in front of your path and you have to wait for it to pass before you can go on.

Now imagine you don't bother waiting for this dog and you kill it anyway, but there are multiple dogs, and you have to stop for them regardless, get out of your car, take out your tyre iron and beat each one of them before you can get back in your car and move another 12 feet before another 7 dogs come out and block your path. That's what bogeymen are to me.

P.P.S. I don't take companions because I view it as more of an accomplishment to do everything alone.
This is the best way to describe why I dislike them.

They are okay as monsters, but they become too annoying with constant interruptions no matter where you are. I want more diversity :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2011, 04:18:38 pm »

I'm actually able to avoid most of that when traveling long distances alone by sleeping in lairs, shrines, or labyrinths before night falls. Basically I just hop between sites. I hate getting ambushed while sleeping by anything, so I do this bogeymen or not.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2011, 05:50:36 pm »

This is the best way to describe why I dislike them.

They are okay as monsters, but they become too annoying with constant interruptions no matter where you are. I want more diversity :).
suck up and grab your bogeyaway like the rest of us who has to deal with them up until some one in dwarf hack community finds a solution to remove crackling from the game.
going off your Dog reference I usually stop pick up the dog and continue along with the ride with no problems. Leashed bogeymen are one of the better companions to pick up given that you swap the civ and change the race to a creature that doesn't poof in the day. even for those who don't like companions getting a bogey comp just to make a long trip easier is a life saver from annoyance.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Interloper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 12:27:31 pm »

I think they're made to be a nuisance. Nasty creatures of the night, tick, this way the player learns that night is dangerous in adventure mode.

AAARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I got the futurama reference, Sir Moops. ^_^

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2011, 06:37:30 pm »

AAARROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

How is that irony?
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 06:09:53 pm »

I think they're made to be a nuisance.
Your idea of a nuisance has killed every one of my adventurers that has had to face them.
And I make demigods.
Multiple SMB and titan kills under my belt, but my followers got slaughtered? Too bad, better make a new adventurer.
I'd hate to see what your idea of an actual problem is.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2011, 06:23:26 pm »

A demigod is still pretty crappy starting out. You might want to use some of the powerleveling techniques on the wiki. Once you get your speed up above maybe 1300 or so (which isn't that hard... I've gotten it up to 2,000 or so without cheating, just powerleveling) you can easily dance around the bogeymen and just run away from them rather easily if you want.

(My idea of a problem would be a titan made of steel or adamantine. One made of iron would just be very challenging.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:25:02 pm by ral »
Pages: 1 [2]