Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Some suggestions  (Read 1122 times)

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
Some suggestions
« on: May 08, 2011, 02:45:44 pm »

I really love this game, so I would like to make some suggestions which I think that could make it even better.
-
1 - When the Military Spending gets C or C+, the conservatives send Elite Counter-Terrorist units instead of the National Guard to raid your hideouts. They could be equipped with P-90 Rifles and Spec Ops Gear.
-
2 - The Prision could have high security cells where the conservatives put the political prisoners when free speech and human rights gets C+,  all the prisoners there are liberals and have very high heart, charisma, intelligence, writing, persuasion, teaching, art, music and computers. When you have high security skills you would be able to break into that area and recruit those high stats liberals for the LCS.
-
3 - Addition of a bank that you can rob in the commercial area (just like the Symbionese Liberation Army did ;D). The more conservative the tax structure is, the more money the bank will have for you to steal.
-
4 - When privacy law gets C+ and the LCS gets strong the CIA starts to send assassins after your leader, just like it does in real life. (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=710&source=hp&q=operation+condor&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9ecd9e91e08e01f)
-
5 - I don't know which skill determines your capacity to run away from the police, but I think that it would be really cool to add the parkour skill. Sweetshop Workers would be good in that skill when immigration is C+, how else would they jump the border? And crackheads would also score high on that skill when drug law is C+.
-
6 - The CCS should have secret documents that you can steal from their hideouts that you can publish in the liberal guardian and show that they are corporate or government funded.

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
Re: Some suggestions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 02:48:01 pm »

PS: Can you actually call the P-90 a "rifle"?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 04:21:41 pm »

It's too big to qualify for an SMG, and it is in the assault rifle class of guns. So I'd say yes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 04:26:10 pm »

I think it's officially classed as a personal defence weapon. Not quite an assault rifle, but not an SMG either.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 08:27:17 pm »

I'm fairly sure the P90 is a bullpup, and thus the barrel is long enough to be considered an assault rifle. While it's marketing calls it a personal defense weapon, it can be considered either a submachine gun or a compact assault rifle. There is no real official line that it needs to cross before it stops being one thing and starts being the other. My personal feeling is that, as far as LCS goes, it ought use the Submachine gun skill, since there's only one other weapon that uses it.
!!&!!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »

I like the feel of most of these. :D

I think that you currently use Street Sense to run from the police, or possibly just Agility. An actual Parkour skill sounds kind of difficult to implement in a meaningful way, but there should totally be some more flavor text for running away on foot.

Robbing the bank would be explicitly for funds, not for activism, right? I can't really see how it would help the public opinion. The idea is cool, but the problem with that is that it's already really easy to have more money than you can conveniently spend, and robbing a bank would probably be pretty high-risk. Still interesting, though. It worked for the real Symbionese Liberation Army.

I'm not really sure if the high-security prison cell idea would work. I think it sort of goes against the theme. I feel that I should be recruiting from the streets rather than raiding a Conservative stronghold to get more people.

When you say "assassins", you mean something a bit more subtle than just storming the LCS hideout with like fifty agents? Yeah, the CIA should definitely do that. In addition to occasionally storming the hideout, of course.

worthstream

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 10:16:23 am »

I like the feel of most of these. :D

I think that you currently use Street Sense to run from the police, or possibly just Agility. An actual Parkour skill sounds kind of difficult to implement in a meaningful way, but there should totally be some more flavor text for running away on foot.

Actually it is based on the qorst AGI+HTH of the squad (+ a random number between 0 and 4) vs the best AGI+HTH of the chasers.
I was surprised to see no Street Sense there, too. Maybe it should be considered somehow?

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:30:18 pm »

Robbing the bank would be explicitly for funds, not for activism, right?

Well, it is related to the tax structure.

Perhaps you could get the option to burn the money instead of take it when leaving the building. Doing so will give a massive bonus for the tax evasion issue.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2011, 01:04:17 am »

Robbing the bank would be explicitly for funds, not for activism, right?

Well, it is related to the tax structure.

Perhaps you could get the option to burn the money instead of take it when leaving the building. Doing so will give a massive bonus for the tax evasion issue.

For some reason, burning money seems conservative to me now that you mentioned taxes...

LOOK AT THE DOLLARS BURN! Just like the Government burns your tax money!
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2011, 01:12:00 am »

Actually, burning money is classed as "defiling a symbol of our nation" AFAIK.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 02:06:58 am »

Wikipedia says that destruction of money is prohibited, but if I've understood correctly it's not for purely symbolic reasons (while that is a consideration too). From what I know, damaging money used to be criminal almost everywhere where the value of the metals used in coins could be higher than the face value of the coins. As for bills, they're basically just IOUs from a central bank/some similar agency.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 05:10:44 am »

Yeah, burning money is definitely a crime. It doesn't come up very often, since the kind of people who accumulate huge piles of money are also the kind people who aren't given to burning it out of spite.

...Now I kind of want to be able to organize a money burning in LCS. To highlight some social issue or something? I don't even care. Maybe just to annoy the government, which is pretty much the only thing that flag burning does.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 05:28:14 am »

Well, burning money is communism. When you burn some currency, you're basically donating the "burned" purchasing power to other owners of the same currency. If done in large scale, that is. Small scale money burnings are unlikely to seriously counteract "random" fluctuations.

Aerogen

• Bay Watcher
  • estou estupefato
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 11:11:38 am »

I'm not really sure if the high-security prison cell idea would work. I think it sort of goes against the theme. I feel that I should be recruiting from the streets rather than raiding a Conservative stronghold to get more people.

I just thought about how cool it would be to release brilliant people that were arrested just because they stood up against the "corrupt totalitarian corporate dictatorship" which becomes the all C+ government, when I free those ordinary prisoners from the jail I don't feel like I just freed someone that is special for the liberal cause, but when I imagine the LCS storming the death roll filled with heavily armed guards and cell doors that require 20 points in security for you to open then I can even imagine the dialogue with the freed prisoner.
LCS SQUAD LEADER: _Mr. Mumia, we are the Liberal Crime Squad, and you are a free man.
MUMIA ABU-JAMAL: _[screams the LCS slogan]

Mumia was just an example, but the high security prisoners don't really need any preset names. The idea is that by releasing liberals that have skills and stats much higher than ordinary people you are inflicting a very strong blow against the conservative agenda and by recruiting then you will be strengthening the LCS much more than you would by recruiting regular people off the streets.

When you say "assassins", you mean something a bit more subtle than just storming the LCS hideout with like fifty agents? Yeah, the CIA
should definitely do that. In addition to occasionally storming the hideout, of course.

Yes :). I was thinking of something more sophisticated than what the police, the army, the firemen and the CCS usually do. They could begin by rigging your cars with explosives and trying to take you out with snipers when you exit your hideout and when they start to get desperate they would begin to set up ambushes or even to infiltrate your hideout, then your leader would be separated from the rest of the squad and would have to take care of a small squad of agents all by himself.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 12:49:04 am »

4 - When privacy law gets C+ and the LCS gets strong the CIA starts to send assassins after your leader, just like it does in real life. (http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&biw=1440&bih=710&source=hp&q=operation+condor&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=9ecd9e91e08e01f)

The current combat/site system isn't too good for stuff like this. We could switch to a system similar to the one in the hacking Roguelikelike (2 likes intentional) game called Decker, where the enemies are placed around the map beforehand (instead of random encounters of LCS) and have different roles: the brute attackers are usually dormant and won't care about the player unless they are directly provoked or alarmed otherwise; scouts patrol around and give suspicious looks and alarms when they spot the player (without disguise), and then there's blocking monsters that can't attack and so on. It would be take a lot of effort to create this system, though, and what's the point? There already is a game that uses it.

Aaaand back to the original topic on assassins. What WOULD work in my opinion is that the Intelligence would try to assassinate your liberals when doing stuff on the streets (selling cookies, prostituting or just advocating). Or they could try to capture your liberals and you'd have only a few days to save them before they are broken and reveal everything they know about the organization (=all of their followers and their direct superior end up on the hitlist).