Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Common Dwarf(y) knowledge  (Read 17001 times)

Elu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Common Dwarf(y) knowledge
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:29 pm »

@IT 900 and Necro: Thanks! I quite enjoyed drawing scribbling it as well. I was snickering like hell while drawing the third dorf panel in particular. Call me mad if you want, but remember that you people can talk about weaponizing babies and laugh at the same time. :P

Also, new theory on how dorfs build walls (and possibly other things).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They simply gaze at it with that thoughtless smile until it autonomously assembles itself. Even females wear that face all the time, so surely they can do it as well. Different kinds of thoughtless smiles would be required for different jobs, hence the still-remaining professions. Carpenterface, masonface, metalsmithface... You name it, the dorfs have someone who can do it! If the gaze itself fails, they just revert to smashing their chiseled visage into the resistant object, until satisfactory results are achieved.

i LOVE the facial expressions of your drawings!
perhaps you may even make a "how it works, dorf style" illustrated series with the various strange things a dorf do in a work day...

however, cooking:
being made of solid stone, the kitchen consist of three blocks, one with a smooth top, used to mince ingredients and cook biscuits, one with a pot-like hole carved in for making delicious stew and the last with a stone skewer.
the problems of cleaning the stew from a hole in a stone, or extracting it from the pot without a dipper are easily solved, dwarf put beard into pot, absorb stew, reach over plate, wring stew from beard, about cleaning... bah, the remains will only make next stew more delicious.
finally the heat necessary for cooking is provided by dwarf rubbing his beard on the block at high velocity thus generating heat by attrition.
Dwarf Fortress, a game which learning curve is a Himalayan trail covered in blood. and alcohol. on fire.

English is not my mother tongue, please point out my mistakes and help me improve it : )

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 03:12:47 pm »

Magma Men are the results of dwarves who perished during certain mining accidents and were given a second blessed life by Armok as creatures of the holy magma.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 05:09:48 pm »

Magma Men are the results of dwarves who perished during certain mining accidents and were given a second blessed life by Armok as creatures of the holy magma.
No, it's just dwarves. Why do you think they go through all of your doors and into your fort in the most inconvenient manner?

They can't see, so they have to reach their arms out the only way they know. By beating the crap out of everything in their way!

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 05:55:35 pm »

Dwarves drink by immersing themselves in barrels, and the length of drinks is determined by how fast they can extract themselves from the barrels. Brewing involves urinating in the barrel to provide the water.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 08:29:44 pm »

Beards are dwarf DNA and are the actual intelligence of the dwarf.
The beards should be smaller, then.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Syrup Roast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2011, 12:16:21 am »

@IT 900 and Necro: Thanks! I quite enjoyed drawing scribbling it as well. I was snickering like hell while drawing the third dorf panel in particular. Call me mad if you want, but remember that you people can talk about weaponizing babies and laugh at the same time. :P

Also, new theory on how dorfs build walls (and possibly other things).

They simply gaze at it with that thoughtless smile until it autonomously assembles itself. Even females wear that face all the time, so surely they can do it as well. Different kinds of thoughtless smiles would be required for different jobs, hence the still-remaining professions. Carpenterface, masonface, metalsmithface... You name it, the dorfs have someone who can do it! If the gaze itself fails, they just revert to smashing their chiseled visage into the resistant object, until satisfactory results are achieved.
I would've liked it if the third panel was spread over something like three frames, with the view zooming in on the dorf's face until the second-to-last frame where the eyes turn red.

And then suddenly the wall was built.

But that's just me, I wouldn't redo it myself for fear of being ridiculed for stealing your art/idea.
My answer to just about everything is magma. In fact, most threads end up with me running in screaming it 

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2011, 06:51:26 am »

Ah, but that'd be when they disassemble the wall. Building a wall takes a short enough time that only a single panel is needed. Tearing it down, however, requires several hours worth of mad glaring! (that, and i generally only operate with four panels at a time)
Regardless, extended and much creepier version.

You know we can't have a long, mindless stare without some kind of horrifying realization. It also serves to illustrate my point that, deep down inside, all dorfs are batshit insane alcoholic maniacs.

@Elu: That right there is a fantastic idea. We all know how weird dorfs are, but it's been illustrated too few times. AIN'T SO SUCH FING AS ENUFF ILLUSTRASHUNS.

Edit: Also, nightmare/mindfuck edition. Caution; long.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 07:24:30 am by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2011, 10:38:38 am »

You know we can't have a long, mindless stare without some kind of horrifying realization. It also serves to illustrate my point that, deep down inside, all batshit insane alcoholic maniacs are dorfs.
Fixed. But it still needs more ma-...
mag...

MAGMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2011, 10:55:01 am »

A Dwarf doesn't need chisels or sandpaper, they just use their rock-hard fingers and calloused palms.

I was thinking this is the case.  It would also explain how in one of my 40d forts my dorfs wrestled a Hydra and three Dragons and a Titan to death.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 11:00:17 am »

Laughing so hard...abs hurt...goddammit shook...you hilarious bastard...
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2011, 01:12:38 pm »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 01:59:06 pm »

It's also common knowledge that goblins capture dwarven children specifically for their ability to deconstruct otherwise invincible constructed walls and floors.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »

It's also common knowledge that goblins capture dwarven children specifically for their ability to deconstruct otherwise invincible constructed walls and floors.
Actually, that's just a bonus of capturing freeing them.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Urist McTaverish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »

Dwarf hair has much less genetic and information density than DNA or brain nerves, so they actually have to be that long for them to have the intelligence the do have.  For them to have human intelligence would require hair that could stretch to the moon and back.
Here at Bay12, we're constantly looking for ways to set the world on fire.
But at least after all the chaos, the weather cleared.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 09:26:41 pm »

Dwarf hair has much less genetic and information density than DNA or brain nerves, so they actually have to be that long for them to have the intelligence the do have.  For them to have human intelligence would require hair that could stretch to the moon and back.
Very dorfy.

Someone should mod in a metal called "Beard" and make a giant tower of Beard to the top of the map.
Pages: 1 [2] 3