Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which release are you waiting for the most out of the current arc ?

Release 1
- 1 (1.6%)
Release 2
- 1 (1.6%)
Release 3
- 2 (3.2%)
Release 4
- 9 (14.5%)
Release 5
- 17 (27.4%)
Release 6
- 10 (16.1%)
Release 7
- 4 (6.5%)
Release 8
- 4 (6.5%)
Release 9
- 14 (22.6%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Caravan arc releases  (Read 7587 times)

Lazy One

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Caravan arc releases
« on: May 08, 2011, 09:54:02 pm »

i would have to go for a rather boring answer and go for 6 since it would most likely make small outpost forts better for more relaxed play regardless of location

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan arc releases
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 11:07:24 pm »

Five for sure, because that probably the first and most crucial step to creating a "living" DF world.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 11:12:42 pm »

8, really want to be a property magnete in DF
Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:17:08 pm »

This is a damn good question. A lot of them have a lot of awesome stuff. 1 has cities, and also now undercities and the undead (but of course, subsequent releases may get similar unannounced stuff, so I should only judge it on the stuff announced earlier). Release 8 and 9 making the adventurer able to become a major part of the economy is cool. 7, with mounted combat, will also be an awesome step in the direction of adventures with power exceeding that of commoners in ways other than martial skill.

I finally picked Release 4, because of all the social ramifications that will bring, with the addition of just about all leisure-time stuff, as well as a new sort of economic thing in Dwarf mode and potentially procedurally generated minigames to play. It's possible that this stands out more because of the coverage it got in DF Talk, of course.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 12:19:37 pm »

8, the needs rewrite sounds like something awesome if done correctly and buying houses is also a nice additions!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 03:13:35 pm »

Really digging three for all the tavern flavor and manors, the general stuff that'll make being a thief or even just hanging out in a city more fun, but I definitely want eight as well. I want to not only own my own property, but be able to rent it out to other people, buying more and more property with the profits and messing around with my tenants however the game lets me.

Something about the city setting in fantasy is really, really endearing to me. Something about all the houses and history, and never knowing exactly what kind of stuff you'll find inside of any given building. I like the alleyways and seedy dark bars and evil plots formulated in back rooms and all that stuff. It's just going to be really interesting, I think.

Three also has the basic hirelings, which I'm hoping will mean letting me have a group of people that I can utilize to perform some pretty interesting stuff, even if it's just waylaying people bandit style for now.

I guess I'd pick three, especially since it's apparently closer than eight. Five should be really interesting too, seeing how the world will actually manage while becoming less and less abstracted. Then there's four with the inns...

Screw it, they're all fantastic. I can't wait for all of them. I will love everything. I'm so glad this game exists.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 05:42:34 pm »

4 and 7. Chose 4 because dwarf mode inns and fairs is just awesome.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 08:17:24 pm »

I want to say four, but I feel five is gonna be essential to get the whole thing working.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:02 am »

Release 7, because Adv Mode combat is prob. my favorite feature in the game, and yet the one that needs the most work.  Release 5 is a close second, because as Vercingetorix said, bringing stuff out of worldgen and into gameplay is a huge step toward a dynamic world.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 11:16:05 am »

Release 5 without a doubt. I look forwards to a option to Fast Forward the history of the world AFTER world gen.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 12:49:14 pm »

Release 8, because I think improved personalities will make both historical figures and dwarves seem much more alive.

Also, release 1 is stated to be improved cities, but so far we have awesome cities, sewers, dungeons, zombies, necromancers... I wonder what the other releases will bring?
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 01:14:27 pm »

release 1 because it is the beginning, i like beginnings, beginnings are cool.

lolz

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 01:24:28 pm »

release 6 for consistency.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 01:25:12 pm »

Obviously 9. Because it also includes all the previous ones. :>

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 01:33:18 pm »

I voted for 5, for the reason above, but 1 is looking really good at the moment, thanks to the secrets and interactions that have been thrown in. Counting only the stated features though, it's 5 for sure. 3 is an honorable mention, thanks to the promise of nonlethal combat.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: [1] 2