Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Property definitions for several engineering materials  (Read 2143 times)

SpamAway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Property definitions for several engineering materials
« on: May 08, 2011, 11:08:58 pm »

In my spare time I defined some material properties for Titanium (commercially pure), Titanium Alloy (Ti 6Al-4V), Aluminum Alloy (7075), Uranium, Silicon Carbide, and Spring Steel (50CrV4).  The required ores are all available in game.  I have included the material definitions below for anyone who is interested.  These materials will completely change the way you play the game, making basic steel armor VERY vulnerable and sedimentary layers/flux completely optional.  Note that not all of the materials excel in all areas - silicon carbide blades will pierce anything except spring steel, but trying to make armor out of it would be extremely risky if you happen to face an opponent with a blunt impact weapon!

The definitions aren't perfect, especially in regards to the melting temperatures and impact strengths.  I didn't feel like deducing the conversion from real world temperatures to Urists, so I just made magma-safe things magma-safe.  Another source of difficulty was obtaining the impact strength numbers that Toady chose to use as his metric.  In my experience as a Mechanical Engineer, I've never seen impact strength classified that way and my literature searches didn't turn up anything along those lines either.  As such, I had to improvise.  For metals, I used the compressive strength as the impact strength and for silicon carbide I used its flexural strength.  As a result, the numbers are somewhat bogus, but no more bogus that the impact strengths of the game's standard materials.

Various Notes
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Titanium (commercially pure, Grade 3/Grade 4) - Obtain via smelting Rutile and Ilmenite

Titanium Alloy (Ti 6Al-4V/Grade 5, alloyed with Aluminum) - Obtained via smelting Titanium and Aluminum together

Aluminum Alloy (7075, alloyed with zinc) - Obtained via smelting Aluminum and Zinc

Uranium (material properties of depleted uranium alloys are secret, so I just used bronze for the strengths/strains) - Obtained via smelting Pitchblende

Silicon Carbide (material properties are very sample-specific, so  I just used a mishmash of what is readily available online) - Obtained by combining a silicon source such as Sand or Quartzite with a carbon source such as Charcoal or Coke

Spring Steel (50CrV4, alloyed with chromium and heat-treated) - Obtained via smelting Steel and Chromium

Chromium - Obtained via smelting Chromite

The game doesn't do a very good job of modeling certain aspects of materials (like hardness).  Therefore, Silicon Carbide (which is commonly used in military armor) represents its impact properties with its relatively low flexural strength rather than its extremely high hardness, making it an artificially inferior armor material. 

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: Property definitions for several engineering materials
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 12:20:59 am »

I was thinking of creating silicon carbide on my own, thanks!

Tungsten carbide might be cool too.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:37:31 am »

Now I just need to wait for an artifact uranium hammer...
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:47:25 am »

Uranium (material properties of depleted uranium alloys are secret, so I just used bronze for the strengths/strains)
They are not secret, I just think that nobody who knows bothered to upload them on the public sites...

Or is there some source which claims they are secret? I am interested, because I can go in one of our laboratories and learn them :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SpamAway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 08:25:56 am »

They are not secret, I just think that nobody who knows bothered to upload them on the public sites...

Or is there some source which claims they are secret? I am interested, because I can go in one of our laboratories and learn them :).

I guess I may have incorrectly assumed the material properties of uranium alloys such as Staballoy would be (at the very least) a trade secret...If you know the properties and would be willing to share them, it would be greatly appreciated! ;D

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 08:33:14 am »

Maybe you are right. I will ask anyway, just to make sure :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository