Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Grand Rogue Auto! A Grand Theft Auto roguelike.  (Read 14535 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Rogue Auto! A Grand Theft Auto roguelike.
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 05:10:31 pm »

I'll have no respect for the Grand Theft Auto Roguelike unless it has tons and tons and tons of cars.

Ohh and the Superbike. The fact that no GTA game past the first (or second possibly) had the super bike is a crime against humanity!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 05:16:52 pm »

I had better be able to sell all those cars.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 05:20:02 pm »

I had better be able to rig all those cars with explosives and wait for some jackass to try and carjack me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 05:36:28 pm »

After a while the game bugs on me and It won't stop moving me. Makes it almost unplayable :(
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 06:37:08 pm »

YES.  This sounds awesome.

(EDIT:  DUDE is that a Kunio sprite for the player character?  If this game has Kunio/RCR sprites then ALL OF MY MONEY.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 06:40:44 pm by Farce »

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13:56 pm »

I get "I/O Error 32" whenever I try to save after loading a previous save.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:00 pm »

Interesting. Posting to follow.

Serial Kicked

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Grand Rogue Auto
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2011, 09:29:31 pm »

I'll have no respect for the Grand Theft Auto Roguelike unless it has tons and tons and tons of cars.

Ohh and the Superbike. The fact that no GTA game past the first (or second possibly) had the super bike is a crime against humanity!

This thing that was ridiculously fast and that was causing me to crash into pretty much everything? Oh my, I remember it now, good old times. This is duly noted :)

I had better be able to sell all those cars.

Selling stolen cars raise some gameplay issues. It's basically a infinite money cheat code. That's why it's not really included in GTA (except for specific collection side-quests). However, my NPC will have to buy their cars (like everything else), so i may be able to find a balance here. Lots of cars stolen -> lots of cars bought by NPC -> buying and selling price decreases. I'll think about it.

I had better be able to rig all those cars with explosives and wait for some jackass to try and carjack me.

Cars are the "cherry on top" of the game. They'll come relatively late in the development (but they *will* come as they are kinda essential to future projects). This said, I see no reason that would prevent me from allowing this kind of behavior. It also makes me remember the "put a grenade in someone's pocket" from Fallout. Hmm.

After a while the game bugs on me and It won't stop moving me. Makes it almost unplayable

As far as i know, the only way the player would auto-move is by clicking on the map everywhere while your player is already executing your orders. The game not being multithreaded yet, successive mouses orders are queued. So if you click everywhere while your character is already moving he will follow blindly your accidental orders, which can take quite a long while depending on how much you went click-happy. If this is your issue, the only solution right now is to be careful or to use keyboard for movement. If it's not, I will investigate.

(EDIT:  DUDE is that a Kunio sprite for the player character?

No idea, i think Deon knows where most of my sprites are coming from. Tiles are from me, but most items and characters are randomly taken from Google image (mainly from RPG Maker 2000 sprite databases afaik) as a temporary solution.

I get "I/O Error 32" whenever I try to save after loading a previous save.

It's a Window's error message meaning that the file is already open by another program (or in this case by itself). I just reproduced your error, my bad. It seems that i managed to mess up the closing of one of the 2 files used to save a game (world.sav). Thanks for the report, I will fix that this week ASAP.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2011, 09:32:54 pm »

This thing that was ridiculously fast and that was causing me to crash into pretty much everything? Oh my, I remember it now, good old times. This is duly noted

It could also pull off rediculous feats like dodge (or even outrun) bullets. As well it could jump the bridge in the first level.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2011, 10:00:18 pm »

Selling stolen cars raise some gameplay issues. It's basically a infinite money cheat code. That's why it's not really included in GTA (except for specific collection side-quests). However, my NPC will have to buy their cars (like everything else), so i may be able to find a balance here. Lots of cars stolen -> lots of cars bought by NPC -> buying and selling price decreases. I'll think about it.
Huh? You could sell any random car in nearly every single GTA installment. You just had to drive it to the port and instant cash.

You could, instead, add a long term heat for each selling location that decreases over timer. Once it reaches a certain level, the cops can take action and then the player temporarily loses a selling location until another shows up. So he can potentially run out of dismantle shops and black market resellers.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 10:27:13 pm »

Interesting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 10:38:26 pm »

Well usually Soulwind the "sell any car" places sold cars very... well... very very little.

To the point where it was almost a waste of time.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 11:21:39 pm »

Compared to what you'd expect out of a car, yeah. But it wasn't all that bad when you were broke, you just couldn't make a living out of it.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 11:30:14 pm »

I think the selling cars option should have a cap of how many cars you can sell in a certain amount of time and you should only get a third of what the car costs.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 02:35:19 am »

How about Grand Theft Ampersand?

ಠ_ಠ

Anyway, Deon, is there any indie game with sprite artwork that you haven't dipped your fingers into yet?
!!&!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6