Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Grand Rogue Auto! A Grand Theft Auto roguelike.  (Read 14518 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Grand Rogue Auto! A Grand Theft Auto roguelike.
« on: May 09, 2011, 10:07:18 am »

I just discovered a GTA style roguelike!

Here's the link
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Rogue Auto! A Grand Theft Auto roguelike.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 10:13:12 am »

Looks awesome, downloading now.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 10:15:18 am »

There's no real goal right now. Except to kill as many people as possible.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:49:25 am »

It's in development, and I'm yet to complete the tileset for it.

Some of my tiles are in already, I will tell you when I'm close to completion.

SerialKicked is Roguedjack's buddy (RJ has made Rogue Survivor, check my sig :P), and right now he develops a better faction and location damage system.
It started pretty bland because he started from basics, and I was not interested in it, but now it becomes better and better, so I am eager to participate :). Can you imagine that EVERY citizen outside of your district is still simulated in real time (they go to work, go buy food and place it in their fridge, they go on breaks and eat that food etc.), and every NPC has a home and a work place, which describes its looks (businessmen are in suits, factory workers in work wear etc.).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:24:14 am »

downloading solely based upon Deon's involvement.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 11:36:21 am »

Hehe, you are too kind. It's still a "framework" of the game for me, but we should show SK our interest, I am sure it motivates people a lot when others believe in them. And it gets features with awesome speed.

A month or two back we had a roguelike with random attacking, with no real purpose and weird map. Now it has different attack/defence types, quite nice AI, location-based damage, single/burst fire, running and many other features many roguelikes can only dream about. Also it comes with some modding tools which will be expanded upon.

Ability to change your game from within the game is a rare chance these days :).

So yeah, check it and wait for updates.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

GTA had other goals?!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 12:02:39 pm »

Let's see how this is...
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 01:48:53 pm »

I still think Grand Rogue Auto is a horrible name and it should've been Grand Theft Roguelike.
Shoes...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 01:53:24 pm »

How about Grand Theft Ampersand? (Since the ampersand is classically the character to denote oneself in a roguelike...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:55:50 pm »

How about Grand Theft Ampersand? (Since the ampersand is classically the character to denote oneself in a roguelike...)

*Ahem*@ Symbol *ahem*
*Hugs*

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 02:14:37 pm »

This looks pretty good, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 03:57:15 pm »

I remember seeing this a bit ago, looked like it would crash and burn back then, but this is much improved!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 03:59:09 pm »

This looks pretty good, and I can't wait to see where it goes.
It's going to hell, obviously.

But you need cars to go to hell. :(

Serial Kicked

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • Grand Rogue Auto
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:03:45 pm »

Hi,

If you have questions about the game, feel free to post on the official blog preferably (you don't need to register to post there), I may not monitor this topic as often as I do with my website for obvious reasons.

That's right. GRA is a tech demo at most. Things are implemented in the order that makes the most sense from my perspective. However, dynamic missions (based on how the different factions are progressing, amongst other variables) and randomized dungeons (skyscrapers) are the next big chapter of my roadmap.

But you need cars to go to hell

Cars are planned, but it's for the long run, implementing that right now isn't possible, I have to rewrite the map generator so roads connect, and i also have to make the NPC understand how to use those (which will probably give some "funny" results at first). Also, fast transportation will be supplied using subway stations (a not so cleverly disguised teleport system, i know).

It's still a "framework" of the game for me, but we should show SK our interest, I am sure it motivates people a lot when others believe in them. And it gets features with awesome speed.

Thanks. GRA is indeed still a framework, it's a v0.3 after all, and it isn't in alpha stage yet. Though, I hope to reach 1.0 (or at least beta status) before the end of the year, so I can start some larger projects, but it depends if my IRL schedule allows it or not.

I remember seeing this a bit ago, looked like it would crash and burn back then, but this is much improved!

I understand the concern perfectly, it has been the fate of countless one-man projects. I can't promise anything, but I have been a prolific modder (all of them reaching the 1.0 mark) for several games and I'm a programmer by trade. It doesn't prove anything by itself, but it increases the odds of success ;)

Cheers,
SK.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 05:14:47 pm by Serial Kicked »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6