Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32

Author Topic: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [1/7, 3/3]: Evening 3 - GAME OVER & TOWN WIN!  (Read 91212 times)

Okami No Rei

• Bay Watcher
  • It is by will alone that I set my mind in motion.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: D1 - Courtroom Brawl
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2011, 12:28:57 am »

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to sleep.
It is by the spice caffeine that thoughts acquire speed.
...start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2011, 01:08:44 am »

"Us vs Him" would be more appropriate, in this case.  I'm quite frustrated with his behaviour.  I second the call to Replace Taricus.

No, absolutely not. Not a fucking chance.

This is a Beginner's Game. If he's got issues with his play, then he's in the right place.

Who the fucking hell do you think you are to demand replacements of other players in a Beginner's Game?

I'll keep pretending like I don't recognize who you are, and give you a warning: Cut that shit out right now.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2011, 01:33:53 am »

I did expect things to happen in the 18 hours I was gone.  On my return, I analyzed what had happened.  The bandwagon did materialize, and one of the members looked like scum.  I am now interrogating him.  Had the bandwagon never materialized, which is what I assume you meant, I'd have come up with a new plan, or revised my old one to work in the new environment.

You got Supercharazad, the (now second) jumpiest player I've ever seen on this forums, and Powder Miner, who as we now see is extremely excitable, to actually vote. I'd count that as a failed bandwagon.

Quote from: Okami no Rei
Because Taricus (FAKEDIT: And now Powder Miner, I suppose) is the easy lynch right now.  The ones that hopped on the bandwagon aren't so easy as you seem to think, since everyone's looking at them as victims right now.  I'm pushing for one of them because I think one of them is scum, not because he's easy.
They're looking at them as victims because you called them out as the culmination to a half-assed plot you grabbed to try and save yourself. The easy lynches are the guy you were pushing for and the guy who flipped out in the middle of your posting, so you can hardly say that you were good and noble and virtuous not pushing for Powder Miner. You're voting for a guy who agreed with you when you were supposedly acting as town. This is all just you sowing suspicion now that your attempts to take someone down are failing.

Quote from: Okami no Rei
Taricus is OMGUSing, which is a nulltell like everything else about him. Heliman and Think are following Jim as the Voice of Authority and Reason.  Not a scumtell, since he's an IC.  Jim's is the only vote that really means anything.  At least one is scum?  Very likely if I'm wrong about Super and Anzki.  Which one is the question.  I'm still working out Jim's game.  I'd lay even odds that Think or Heliman is scum.  Are both?  Taricus and Think are the only possibility that springs to mind.  Heliman and Jim are a longshot.  None of the other combinations work.

Lumping me in with the guy who refuses to say anything, thanks. So I'm possibly scum because I agree with two other people (and one who's OMGUSing you, but he's not relevant to this conversation)? This is all just sowing doubt to distract us from the issues at hand.

You tried to lead an attack on someone, it failed, and now you're trying to use that attack to implicate other people. You aren't scumhunting. You're scum.

PPE: I wish I were in cahoots with Taricus. Then at least I could try to coach him privately. Not that'd he'd listen to me anyways.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2011, 02:38:43 am »

Okami No Rei, why Supercharazad over anzki4? You've accused both of them of similar things, and in my mind, what anzki4 did was worse, what with parroting Supercharazad over broken quote tags. I think your points about Supercharazad parroting you are, quite frankly, crap, and calling him a liar when it could just as easily be that he saw the same things about Taricus that you did is stretching it pretty far. anzki4, though, you've got something there, something I can totally see, so why's your vote on Supercharazad?

That seems inconsistent. And lies? Yeah, right. That's hyberpole to make what Supercharazad did seem scummier than what it actually was. In other words, that was disingenuous and you should be lynched for it.

They're looking at them as victims because you called them out as the culmination to a half-assed plot you grabbed to try and save yourself. The easy lynches are the guy you were pushing for and the guy who flipped out in the middle of your posting, so you can hardly say that you were good and noble and virtuous not pushing for Powder Miner. You're voting for a guy who agreed with you when you were supposedly acting as town. This is all just you sowing suspicion now that your attempts to take someone down are failing.

I like what you're doing, by being bold and aggressive and demanding, but I've got to step in.

Can you back up everything you're saying here? You're making lots of heavy accusations, but you're light on evidence and I can see Okami No Rei doing some of the stuff you accuse him of as town.

You generally want to stay very grounded in your accusations. If you start thinking too far ahead of the facts you start losing sight of what actually made somebody scummy. You can still make suppositions about the motives behind someone's actions, but if you start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town, you're taking it too far.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2011, 04:08:34 am »

You're being extremely panicky and reactionary. Toaster's pressure wasn't really all that fierce, so I've got to wonder, what is it about you that makes you panic from so little pressure? Could it be, that you're scum? And now that somebody's voting you you don't know what to do? I dunno. Seems like that could be the case to me.

Explain.

It might be the fact that I get sharp pain when I move my neck causing me to lose concentration.
It also might be stress from Beginners Vengeful.

I realise I can be pretty excitable, and I do try to hold that down, but sometimes stress just gets too high.

Now, I'll try to do some actual scumhunting and get a decent post in today.

To everyone, I might not be playing well today due to a series of events, including kneeing my own neck, resulting in a bad cold and a neck that is very painful when I turn it. Thus, my concentration is probably going to be a bit off.
No kidding.  You're using Toaster's points now as well.

Are you trying to defend Tacricus?
Heavens, no.  If he won't take the time and effort to play, I'm certainly not going to take the time and effort to defend him.

In RVS, I think any amount of bandwagoning is fine, so long as you can give a reason and a question.
You hopped on a bandwagon.  You gave several questions.  Let's see your explanation:

Actually, I didn't notice you using those arguments. But, why are you saying that I shouldn't be bandwagoning, when I have my own arguments?
You've got arguments, sure, but none of them are, as you say, your own.

Allow me to demonstrate:

Supercharizard - Hiding something?

Taricus - Nothing to add?  At least he included a decent RVS question when he stacked votes.   Jumping on an easy target like that, without even contributing to the investigation, is downright lazy, and terribly scummy.  Try again.
vs
Supercharizard - Hiding something?

unvote

So, as a matter of fact, I'm not.

Tell me, why the vauge RV? What possible outcome would that answer have generated other than a "no"?

Tacricus, Why the vauge RV? Also, who would prefer as your scumpartner?
I've already called him out on his poor excuse for a RV.

Okami No Rei - No substance to the attack, and not very convincing argument means it'll fall through.
Are you talking about my attack on you, or are you answering my question?  Either way, it's RVS.  I'm pushing you for a lead because you might be scum, and you might slip and give me something solid to work with.  You need to do the same.  Take your minor suspicions and substance-less attacks and use them as tools to harvest material for convincing arguments and uncover solid evidence.

You still haven't addressed the primary concern.  Are you bandwagoning scum or aren't you?  If not, why?

Answering the following might help your case:
Why'd you vote him in the first place if you weren't interested in questioning him?  Why aren't you questioning anyone right now?

You're activelurking right now, which only benefits the scum.  Defend yourself!  Attack somebody!  Do something!
vs
If you know what I meant now, then why not answer?

Not answering questions, that'd be a scumtell you know.
and
No information, no motive yet. I say we attempt a stalemate for the lynch this round, call suspicions rather than voting.

Passiveness: Scumtell.
I've already hammered him for not answering questions and playing passively.

So, basically, you're saying I shouldn't play because other people get to see their posts before me?
You think I should stay perfectly silent because my arguments have been used once before?

Yes, it really does look like you are subtly trying to defend Taricus.
You're still my second pick for scum.

PPE: I wish I were in cahoots with Taricus. Then at least I could try to coach him privately. Not that'd he'd listen to me anyways.

True that.

It won't. However my post always seem to start more crap than they finish.

That's a good thing. Just start that crap on the scum instead, and use it. Use that shitty, brown stuff for good! Start asking questions, pick out tiny flaws and FOR LOGIC'S SAKE, START PLAYING YOU PASSIVE LURKER!

Oh, yes, add passive lurking to my reasons to vote him.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2011, 04:15:32 am »

Explain.

Well, you see, Powder Miner asked me a question, but since you asked me an identical question earlier in the game, I just quoted myself on the answer.

All that stuff about being panicky and reactionary wasn't about you, it was actually directed at Powder Miner, but I could see how you got confused about that. I got confused about it looking back just now too.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2011, 04:54:15 am »

Explain.

Well, you see, Powder Miner asked me a question, but since you asked me an identical question earlier in the game, I just quoted myself on the answer.

All that stuff about being panicky and reactionary wasn't about you, it was actually directed at Powder Miner, but I could see how you got confused about that. I got confused about it looking back just now too.

Ah, right. No problem then.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2011, 05:18:13 am »

Taricus:
I'm not quitting, I'm just trying to think up something that won't get me dogpiled.
You shouldn't be afraid to speak your mind.  If you say what's on your mind and are honest and forthright, people will listen to you.   You may get attention if your reasons or logic sucks, but that gives you a chance to clarify it.
That last bit there is the reason WHY I'm not saying much. I can't do that.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:20 am »

Taricus:
I'm not quitting, I'm just trying to think up something that won't get me dogpiled.
You shouldn't be afraid to speak your mind.  If you say what's on your mind and are honest and forthright, people will listen to you.   You may get attention if your reasons or logic sucks, but that gives you a chance to clarify it.

You can't clarify? -.-

It's very simple:

Say why you thought of something.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2011, 08:22:49 am »

Powder:
Well, Toaster, for one, he's Only aq little bit susipicious at this point due to him acting less scummy. And my passive play? You must be blind. If you open your eyes, you'll see that I actually got annoyed and pulled Taricus over here, and... guess what: I asked a question! Oh, what a shocker (sarcasm if you fail to understand it as such)! Now, YOU on the other hand, I haven't seen many posts from you and certainly not a lot of scumhunting. So are YOU being passive? (Heck, you're the only one who wasn't voting up until now. Hmm....)
Anyway, It won't hurt to scumhunt someone else.
How about you, Unvote, Jim Groovester? Who do you find most and second most scummy right now?

I vote you, and you post five of the next six posts.  Some people (like you, I believe) start talking a lot when they get nervous.  You went from quiet to extremely vocal over one vote.  I got a very strong reaction out of you when you voted, which is a huge red flag.

In one of my first non-town games, I got caught out because I changed my play after getting called on being too passive.  This is pretty much what happened here. 

Your first response was to deflect attention away from yourself, calling me passive and RVing Jim with a question that I had asked others earlier.  Scum like to deflect, because attention on them is bad.  When they're put on the spot, any mistake is going to be noticed.  (This is why you keep the pressure up when you think you've nailed scum.)

This isn't RL Mafia.  Take a second to calm down and post something rational.  The preview button is your best friend- get to know him.  Type it out, preview it, read it again and see if it makes sense.  (As a free bonus, you can check your formatting and quote tags.)

Sum up your cases with evidence and try again.

Okami:  No, I don't particularly think Super is scum right now.

And be nice.  This is a beginner's game.

Taricus:
Taricus:

It's not something I'd normally recommend, but you could try stream of consciousness writing.  You could read over the thread and type out what you think of everything as you think it (preferably in notepad.)  Look over that and summarize your thoughts and opinions into a single cohesive post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2011, 12:37:02 pm »

anzki4 has requested a replacement.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2011, 03:04:34 pm »

You generally want to stay very grounded in your accusations. If you start thinking too far ahead of the facts you start losing sight of what actually made somebody scummy. You can still make suppositions about the motives behind someone's actions, but if you start thinking that everything somebody does is scummy or that everything is part of some scummy plan to be incredibly devious and mislead the town, you're taking it too far.

Good point, and thank you. Let me talk about some solid evidence then. If Okami's latest post is true, and he saw Jim's post before quitting, he knew even back then that it was instantly called out as not helpful for town and didn't explain himself then. Okami, why do you still think your plan has merit? Why did you go through with it after Jim called you out? Why are you so certain that of the two people who voted with you, a scum was one of them? If we believe you that you were pressing Taricus to get him to play better, why don't we believe Supercharazad, who repeatedly pressed Taricus on being a better player?
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2011, 03:50:51 pm »

Have you actually given a decent effort to trying to do that?

I mean, when every post is a lament about your inability to play mafia or communicate... I start to wonder.

How about this: Say who you suspect. Then talk about why you suspect them. Don't worry about whether what you're saying is right or wrong, just take the first step and put your thoughts down about it.

Can you do that?

Will you do that?

Are you going to do that?

I don't really want to see another excuse about it. Put a little effort into it and you'll see it's not that hard.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: 1 replace, please!~
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2011, 04:24:20 pm »

Jim, I've already told you my reasons, but: I've been going onto Taricus because of that OMGUS and his lurking. But now it's seeming more like it's not because he's scummy, but just noobtells, although I'm not really good enoughn to tell the difference. Yet I'm still going to press him because I'm not convinced he's town, he hasn't been lynched, and I'm not dead. So I'll continue to press him. I hope that clears it up.

So, Taricus, Did you near-OMGUS Okami no Rei because he caught you without an answer? And do you expect that it'll make town win by lurking? If you sit on your hands, not only are you not helping town, but you're helping mafia. So are you REALLY lurking because you are afraid of getting dogpiled- Which now that I think about it, doesn't matter because someone doesn't necessarily need to be alive to win, so townies should focus on not hiding but getting information- or are you really scum trying to escape attention?

Anyway, yes, I have been forgetting my Tourette's medications, but that's not behavior-affecting. And thankfully I've calmed down.

Quote from: Jim Groovester
You're funny.

I aim to please :P
But seriously though, I'm a pretty jumpy person right now. I dunno why.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' Mafia XXIII [7/7, 2/2]: 1 replace, please!~
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2011, 04:25:10 pm »

I request a spoilspec and get an invitation to replace someone. Der fuck.

Sure, I guess. Just don't put me officially in till the end of day1. I need to read the thread.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 32