Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)  (Read 23360 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)
« on: May 09, 2011, 07:59:17 pm »

Here's how it works.

I'll find a fairly fun embark, and start a year. At the start of each year, you (not me) must assign each dwarf a number and randomly pick one. I don't care how you do it- use dice, use a random number generator, observe which atoms in a lump of uranium decay after an hour, I don't give a damn. You must then find a way to kill this dwarf by the end of spring. Because, really, isn't random, pointless death for its own sake the whole point of this damn game? We're not being cruel, but in Breakfastcudgels, we will come closer to the true nature of Dwarf Fortress than any succession game yet: random killing with no mind as to number of friends, utility to the fortress, or potential for !!FUN!!. The dice gods tell us to sacrifice your legendary swordsdwarf who's singlehandedly driven off two FBs and an entire goblin siege? Do what they tell you.

(Exception: if you try to kill him in some way that no dwarf could be expected to survive- as in, he survives a fall off a 20-z tower and survives-he is too badass to die. Sacrifice the most useless dwarf in the fortress instead; he's exempt from all succeeding rounds of Russian Roulette.)

Obviously there's going to be an honor system implicit in this... if you rolled the dice, and the gods want you to kill Urist McNoviceLyeMaker, who has no friends, nobody can prove that they didn't tell you to kill Urist McLegendaryMiner, who also has 30 friends, and you just rerolled. However, I flatter myself I know this community. We've been through rampaging elephants, Operation Fuck the World, mermaid genocide, carp attacks, giant badger intrusions, and magma floods, and I think I can safely say we wouldn't risk a humdrum fort by killing a lonely cheesemaker when there'd be a lot more !!FUN!! involved in killing the mayor.

Let me find a sufficiently fun spot to embark. I'm getting impatient, so we stop at year 235.

Here's the embark- and actually, it isn't incredibly fun, but it doesn't have an aquifer, so I'll be able to dig down at least.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Our embark points are divided as follows.

2 x +5 miners (get us started down below early)
1 +3 grower/+3 herbalist/+3 brewer
1 +5 cook/+2 woodcutter (in the first year, our emphasis is on getting good living quarters going, and running jewelry will take time. Much easier to cook food and sell the best of it. He'll also function as our woodcutter.)
1 +2 stonecrafter/+2 mason (can't live without doors and walls, and why waste our wood on barrels when we could make us some pots?)
1 +2 carpenter/+3 furnace operator
1 +2 weaponsmith/+2 mechanic/+2 appraiser/+2 butcher/+2 tanner (our broker, and will make us some traps for defense. In his spare time he can keep our animal population under control and process their more time-sensitive byproducts. He'll also be dorfed as me. Oh wait, he's a girl. Never mind, the difference between the genders is non-existant.)

16 each of plump helmet, cave wheat, pig tail and sweet pod seeds, and 11 rock nuts
25 each of dwarven beer and ale
3 copper picks 1 stone, 3 copper nuggets, and an iron anvil.
15 each of turtle, duck egg, plump helmets and prepared mountain goat lung.
10 sheep wool cloth
15 cave spider silk thread
1 maple training axe for the woodcutter
5 sheep wool ropes
5 female and 1 male dog. They may cost us some embark points now, but we'll never want for lack of food. I also brought along a male cat to get rid of the vermin, 2 guineahens and a guineacock (best egg producers in the game, I think), a breeding pair of chickens (as an alternative), and a breeding pair of sheep (wool and milk. Don't kill any ewes, because they're valuable. Rams can still be sheared, but they're not as valuable and in a pinch they're fair game for butchering.)

Turn list
Finished
In Progress
Next up

1. dhokarena56
2. Elderont
3.futility
4.savolainen5
5. Crazy Cow

The turn list is now on Futility's first post.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2011, 09:00:37 am by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breakfastcudgels (a game of random death)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 08:04:42 pm »

Sounds fun! Dorf me as Elderont, one of the Miners!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 08:23:57 pm »

The Diary of dhokarena56 Hoodletters, Farmer

1st Granite: We've arrived! Luckily there seems to be nobody around to bother us right now. Damn but we've got a lot of animals- everything from sheep to guineahens to a female horse and a male one-humped camel (this last will taste delicious, I'm sure!) Solon, our expedition leader/mason/stonecrafter is building a wood furnace while Ral the cook cuts down a tree or two. We didn't get picks right out of the box, but they're cheaper this way, and probably better quality.

5th Granite: While Solon makes charcoal, I go on a two-hour trip to scout out the land now that the snow's melted. And goodness me, is it lush. Trees and plants everwhere, and a colony of bees not far away, if we decide to go in that direction. The only thing that gives us cause for concern is that the top stone layer is obsidian. I personally can't tell diorite from shale, but Elderont says that means we won't have any coal, so we'll be burning lots of trees if we want a steel industry. He hopes there'll still be "flux", whatever that means. In any case, I'm the weaponsmith, so I'm busy making us picks.

15th Granite: I'm done making the picks, so Elderont and the team can get a move on digging the fort out. I made a regular copper pick, but also an exceptional quality one and a finely-crafted one, of which I'm proud. Elderont's excursion into the first five layers of the ground reports that we have clay, but no sand, and the first stone layer is indeed obsidian. I'm itching for them to get some farm space and food stockpiles done, so I can start farming and brewing. We also had an impromptu outpost meeting to design the fort for the time being. We'll have some farms up quickly on the second level down, and a food stockpile with workshop space right below that. Below that is our last soil layer, and we're preserving it for the purposes of pasture. Each farm will be 3 Urists by 3 Urists, as will the space for each workshop. For the food stockpile, we'll have 11 Urists by 27 Urists- sounds pretty random to me, but Ral swears it's the best layout.

15th Slate: We've hit a cavern, and more to the point, we've hit... a magma pipe... just 23 Urists below the surface. Goody, goody. We won't be using it now- right now the focus is on getting the basics up and running, but this is certainly welcome news.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 09:02:52 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 10:31:24 pm »

EDIT: dhokarena asked someone else to admin, so this is the player list:

EDIT II: If you want on the list, send me a PM - I'm not reading the thread for now.

Turn List:
Finished
In Progress
To Go
Skipped

• dhokarena52 1 2 Save
  • Elderont 1 2 3 Save
  • futility 1 2 3 4 Save
  • Savolainen51 2 3 4 Save
  • Crazy Cow
  • billybobfred 1 2 3 4 Save
  • Microcline 1 2 Save
  • ashton1993 1 2 3 4 5 Save
  • ignatzami
  • Farmerbob
  • filiusenox
  • Conan
  • billybobfred
  • Elderont
  • ashton1993
  • Microcline
  • dhokarena52
  • Dariush
  • Ifeno
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 04:30:18 pm by futility »

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 04:59:09 am »

sign me up, pls
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 06:34:28 am »

OK, Melkor didn't ask to be anybody in particular, so he's now the mason/stonecrafter. Futility will be the cook.

The Diary of dhokarena56 Hoodletters, Continued
23rd Felsite: It looks like we might actually survive- futility's cooking up some practice meals, and the miners are working hard to get stockpiles and stuff in. Melkor, the expedition leader, says that we're likely to get a few immigrants in a couple months. I can't wait.

1st Hematite: It's now summer, and we struck some bituminous coal. Unfortunately, Elderont doesn't think we have any flux, which is too bad- we could definitely use some.

12th Malachite:
Melkor made a head count: we have Sigun Berrithzâm, who can do shearing, fishing, butchery and clothing, a proficient weaver named Edën Gifttreaty who is also novice in all the metalworking skills, a competent blacksmith (yes!) named Goden Pillarsearches, and a woodcrafter named Obok Zealfortress who can be our armorsmith. In addition, we got some delicious animals. I'll butcher them in no time.

20th Galena: We've got the bedrooms set up. There's room for a bed and a future cabinet in each. We assigned Sigun to train up engraving by smoothing out the bedrooms.

20th Sandstone: It's been two months since my last diary entry, but then again, I've been busy. We've got the dining room set up. Right now it's just a room with 3 tables and as many chairs, but that's enough to eat our meals on. They're good meals, too- Futility's training fast. We got Tholtig Bridgeveils, a gem setter, Minkot Castleguild, a novice metalcrafter, Eshtân Tatoobust, an adequate lye maker (yeah, he's going to work on gem cutting), another lye maker named Etur Inchworks (our new thresher, and for the time being, bookkeeper), and... that's it.

13th Timber: Here comes the caravan, as the Mountainhomes promised. Well, I'm the broker, so it's my responsibility to trade with them. Melkor asks them for leather, cloth, gems, seeds, booze, and glass for moods; I buy their leather, cloth, and food.

27th Timber: Well, we didn't find any flux stone. But we did hit the magma sea, with some cotton candy.

3rd Moonstone: It's getting chilly out there. The miners have recruited a lye maker to join them, and we're going to make a tree farm, flooded from an aquifer that's just found at one corner of the fortress.

Right, the save is here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4354. Elderont, you're up. Try and get us some defenses, and don't forget to kill somebody- roll the dice as soon as it opens up.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:51:37 am by dhokarena56 »

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:27:16 pm »

Ok! Downloading the save right now!

I'll try to raise a wall for defense and stuff. Other than that, don't expect much!

P.S.: I'm from Brazil, so don't mind the writing mistakes. ;D

futility

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 11:20:54 pm »

what's a good server for hosting images?

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 05:44:47 am »

what's a good server for hosting images?

i use: http://imageshack.us/ find it very easy.

melkor's log 15th granite
finaly some stone that means my skills of crafting can begin

melkor's log 12th malachite
why dont we have a mason yet, i am the leader here not dhokarena56 wen i say we need a mason the peasent build 1.

melkor's log 20th sandstone
finnaly a mason now i can construct something. lets see.... tables and thrones, AND BLOCKS.
we need lots of stone blocks. after i am done with that a crafter's shop must be build so i can craft some mugs.
what dwarf can drink beer if we dont have some masterly crafted mugs.

melkor's log 3rd moonstone
it seems dhokarena has left elderont to do some work around here.
how oh how will a miner be albe to do anything else but mining really the poor chioce will surly be felt.
but i dont have any time for this i must built MORE BLOCKS   ^^
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 05:48:25 am by melkor »

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 09:50:59 am »

This is madness!
No...
This. Is.

Me joining. Sounds like fun; sign me up for turn five!

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:13:18 am »

The Notes of the Overseer Elderont, First Miner and First Warrior in Battle

Finally, the control of the Fortress is entirely mine. One of dwarfs gave me a big chain to put around my neck, he said it was a symbol of my new position in command. I said it was as heavy as fuck, but he didn’t care and just said something about a death and random numbers. I didn’t listen.

So let me see what I got here. I can’t… This chain is a freaking burden and gets me tired just of walking. I elected someone to be my eyes and ears everywhere, his name is Goden, he is some sort of metal smith. The first thing he tells me is “Sir, it appears that an aquifer was breached and it is flooding a section of the Fortress”.

Fuck.

Turns out the aquifer had a lever controlled floodgate. I just ordered it pulled and everything (including time) went back to normal.

Now let’s see how the Fortress is organized. Goden started to tell me where stuff was. It seems this place is a HUGE FREAKING MESS. The workshops are all scattered around, along with the stockpiles and living quarters. Everything was excavated just a few steps from the main stairs (which I shall say, will need some rebuilding in the future). I started to issue some orders. First, butcher the animals. I can’t walk before running into one.

Ok. Now let’s get some sleep…

Strange… In my dreams the gods appeared to me. They demanded a sacrifice. Igoth, The Coincidental Yearling, goddess of fertility, gambling, games and luck, spoke to me directly. She said the Fortress would need random death to prosper. It would be built upon the blood of the fallen. And so I listened to her message, paying attention to every single word. When I woke up, I had a plan.

I could count 15 dwarfs among us. I had two 4 faced dice in my hands. Turns out that if you roll both dice at once there are 16 possible different outcomes. And so I got a chisel and started engraving names next to numbers. Each one in the Fortress had a number, I was (1.1). Therefore, if I rolled two “ones” I would be sacrificed. I also decided that (4.4), the only number without a name, would make me reroll twice, and sacrifice two dwarfs to the gods.

And so I started playing.

The first number to come out was 4. I rolled again.

The dice started jumping. It went from stone to stone until it got out of my bedroom, and then to the stairs. I followed it 20 levels down, until it stopped in a dirty tile of the caves (yes, the caves are open).

The last number was 4.

I felt it as a blessing. Two sacrifices would make the Fortress grow in a magnificent rate. At my room, I rolled again. (2.1) and (2.2) were the outcomes. Goden, my assistant, and Minkot, a metal smit, were the chosen one.

I started planning the killing machine…

Note: I dind't fudge the roll. The first one was really (4.4).
Note˛: The second dice really went out of my bedroom, I had to chase it around the house a bit.
Noteł: This is funny already.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 11:21:46 am »

YES! Extra blood for the blood god!

Elderont

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 02:41:26 pm »

The Notes of the Overseer Elderont, First Miner and First Warrior in Battle (Part 2)

17th Granite

Let’s talk about design.

I felt like the Fortress was missing space. The workshops were poorly placed, so I decided to dig a new section. When done, it will be able to hold both the workshops and the stockpiles.

Also, soon after I started digging looking for more minerals, I found a cassiterite vein. I ordered it mined along with one of the bituminous coal veins. I plan on producing bronze very soon and then we may organize a military with proper weapons and armor. 

19th Granite

The construction of the killing device has begun. The dwarfs ask me what it is, but I can’t tell them the truth. I say it will help us with defense, and that’s all they need to know. It’s a pretty simple design, but it will be efficient.

8th Slate

I needed to reorganize the entrance. It was wide open and defenseless, but we couldn't afford it that way. Goblins will be showing up soon. The masons started building an emergency wall and the engineers put some simple cage traps in the entrance. That will do for the moment, but I plan on also building a bridge there soon.

13th Slate

That’s great! Our population is now of 38 dwarfs.

Most of the newbies are useless, so I put then on hauling duty.

10th Felsite

The new workshop area is ready! I ordered the stones cleared and designed the new stockpiles. Melkor, one of the stonecrafters, was ecstatic about his new working place. He then said something about blocks and the urge to produce then. Gods… We give them the hand they bite for the whole arm…

5th Hematite

SNATCHERS!

Good thing our awesome cage traps got then. That reminds me, we now have BRONZE! I immediately ordered some armor made. And the plans for the bridge are already in development.

And that’s what happened in the spring.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 03:12:53 pm »

Are they dead yet?

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2011, 10:27:09 am »

melkor's log 10th felsite

O.O

ss.ooo. mm.aa.nn.yy. sss.t.ooo.n.e.s.  must....work... HARDER

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13