Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [34.11.0.07]  (Read 29211 times)

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [31.25.0.02]
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2011, 11:34:44 am »

The Great Race of Yith will probably be represented directly as an invading civilization (unless it's possible to use the secrets/interactions of the next DF release in some neat way). I'm planning on making an entity that is placed only once in every world, and is populated by a race that is randomly chosen from many possible. The aim of this is to make every world more unique (and also to avoid turning this into another Fortress Defense mod).
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 05:57:40 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_beast

I'd definitely like to see these guys, even in a more vanilla mod. The wiki doesn't go into as much detail as Call of Cthulhu, but imagine an obese albino gorilla with the skin of a toad, that has in the place of a head, a mass of constantly wriggling pink tentacles above a bear's snout.

They're nocturnal, and allied with the men of Leng, who are similar in form to satyrs. They trade beautiful but toxic "rubies" for slaves and gold.

The serpent men are another one: Their are two varieties, one caste with the bodies of snakes with human heads, and Medusa-like snakes for hair, and another serpent humanoidsm (snake men), both with poisonous bites.
For they would be your masters.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:16:27 am »

I can use the moon-beasts as another possible random civ. Their relationship with the men of Leng would be a little hard to portray; maybe they could be a special caste?

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [31.25.0.03]
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2011, 05:03:15 am »

31.25.0.03 has been released. This version adds a number of Colour out of Space-infected creatures for the good regions, making them much more fun. There is a new special caste for humans (hopefully the first of many), the artist genius. A new custom workshop, the rayon plant, produces artificial silk. Deep Ones can be found in the deep oceans and Dholes make burrows in the wilderness. Enjoy!

I'm going to be pretty busy from now until the end of the week, but then I'll start working on the random-race entity.

zephyr_hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2011, 11:25:50 am »

Lovecraft is awesome. Posting to state interest in this project. I have a little bit of modding experience mainly creating creatures, plants and custom buildings, let me know if I can be of any assistance :)
Soapmaker? Looking for a fort to migrate to? Come to Ubenudil! Lush tropical climate, friendly neighbors, rumors of terrifying curse on the land entirely unfounded. Probably.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85057.0
This message brought to you by the Soapmaker's Guild of Isakudil.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2011, 12:52:16 pm »

Thanks, any and all Lovecraft monsters that aren't already in are welcome :)

axu

• Bay Watcher
  • DM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2011, 06:05:37 am »

This is dead?  ???

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cthulhu Mythos Mod [31.25.0.04]
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2011, 04:04:03 pm »

That is not dead that which eternal lies, and through strange aeons even death may die...

After a hiatus, this mod is back with an update! There is a new civilization, the time-travelling Great Race of Yith, that dwells in the great deserts. They keep to themselves and will not bother you in Fortress mode. Adventurers seeking their near-infinite knowledge might want to take the risk of seeking them out, though.

There are two new workshops with a 1920s flavor: the Speakeasy, where those who are tired of the Prohibition can buy whiskey from the mob, and the Charleston Dance Floor, where your citizens can dance Charleston... the workout could be useful to your soldiers.

Finally, there is a new cat caste: the loyal cat, which will follow its master anywhere and protect them from the nameless horrors of the darkness.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2011, 12:00:21 am »

You might perhaps mod ghosts to become more dangerous, and then do something with carving Elder Signs into slabs, etc.
For they would be your masters.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2011, 03:02:01 pm »

Ghosts and slabs are hardcoded, sadly. But I'm hoping that the next DF release, with its "interactions", will give a lot more possibilities for eldritch stuff.

I'm looking for some Lovecrafty music for the mod. For the menu music I'll use the Bloop. Does someone know any suitable pieces for the game music? It should be instrumental and not too upbeat.

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2011, 03:43:56 pm »

Hope to see a lot of !!fun!! come from this mod...downloading it right now.
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2011, 07:24:03 pm »

Wait, you have the colour out of space in this mod? That was probably my favorite Lovecraft story.
How exactly does it work?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2011, 07:15:29 am »

The Moon-beasts were actually described as being more toadlike than mammal, at least in "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath", which I'm reading at the moment. If you mod them in, you should make a sub-caste of horned and hoofed Men of Lengs with a ratio of 3:1.
Have you thought of making human slaves an evil pet :D?
If it's possible to mod evil regions in the next release, modding in the degeneration caused by The Color should be possible.
EDIT: Oh, and could you mod in Ghouls as playable adventurers? Because my favourite Lovecraft-story is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 07:23:00 am by Liber celi »

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2011, 10:39:07 am »

Wait, you have the colour out of space in this mod? That was probably my favorite Lovecraft story.
Good regions represent areas affected by the colour out of space. They are populated by "brittle" animals with a dust attack that makes other creatures brittle.

The Moon-beasts were actually described as being more toadlike than mammal, at least in "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath", which I'm reading at the moment. If you mod them in, you should make a sub-caste of horned and hoofed Men of Lengs with a ratio of 3:1.
If it's possible to mod evil regions in the next release, modding in the degeneration caused by The Color should be possible.
EDIT: Oh, and could you mod in Ghouls as playable adventurers? Because my favourite Lovecraft-story is
The moon-beasts and the men of Leng are going in next, along with a few other Dreamland races. Every world you gen will only have one randomly selected Dreamland race (so you don't have to deal with moon-beasts, Zoogs and Gugs sieging you at the same time).

Ghoul adventurers, sure. But I'm having some trouble making normal humans hostile to them. I tried giving ghouls [LOCAL_BANDITRY] but it didn't work. Does someone know what tags control this?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2011, 02:08:30 pm »

Good regions represent areas affected by the colour out of space. They are populated by "brittle" animals with a dust attack that makes other creatures brittle.

The moon-beasts and the men of Leng are going in next, along with a few other Dreamland races. Every world you gen will only have one randomly selected Dreamland race (so you don't have to deal with moon-beasts, Zoogs and Gugs sieging you at the same time).

Ghoul adventurers, sure. But I'm having some trouble making normal humans hostile to them. I tried giving ghouls [LOCAL_BANDITRY] but it didn't work. Does someone know what tags control this?
Ah, I see.

And you can achieve hostility with either thief tag, though your own civ will also be hostile (outside of your starting town) from what I've seen. Removing the ghoul's ability to communicate with humans might also work, so UTTERANCES or just completely removing their ability to speak.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5