Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farm Plot Profile  (Read 1186 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Farm Plot Profile
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:29:51 pm »

A workshop profile for farm plots, working the same way other workshop profiles work. This way you could assign dwarves specific fields. Possibly it could have two sections, plant and harvest.

This way you could allow high skill farmers to plant but every farmer to harvest, and set up things like personal fields for dwarves so that you can keep your farmers on equal skill footing instead of the one who happened to not take a break planting all the fields and leaving the others unskilled.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

WillNZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farm Plot Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:59:38 pm »

I'd like the ability to automatically rotate crops every now and then.

Luriant

• Bay Watcher
  • Mediocre english, sorry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 10:27:16 am »

I want to revive this suggestion, Profiles in Farm Plot. A Necropost is better than a duplicate post.

The other labors with quality have workshop profiles (all skill with a workshop), or don't use resourcers (engrave, smooth low quality, and engrave again)
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Labor
Profiles is a better method than Burrow, more solid and reliable, and with less bugs. And Grower is a very important skill in food/textile/dye/booze production, using less resources.

When the Farm need a seed, only Dwarves in the profile (or with enough skill) can plant.
When the crop is ready to harvest, if "All Dwarves harvest", the plot can ignore the Profile. The same with potash, with no quality.

With Farm Plot Profile, the player can assign a complete category of skills (or All skills except hunting/fishing) to a Dwarf, but only add the Profile in the workshop if the quality is important.
╔══╦══╗██▓▓
☺♠┼╥╤┼▲▼▓
Θ÷║πΩ║      ▓
+═╬══╣ò    ▓
≈≈▒‼^☻²
╚══╩══╝
  Σ Spkd Grn Glss Blls 252☼ 2.6Γ

☼Another☼

• Bay Watcher
  • I am inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »

+1 to this idea.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:18 pm »

This'd be awesome.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 11:04:52 am »

It would be awesome for the current system. However I would like farms to become like areas just like its planned for workshops. Or as the gathering fruit areas work right now. Of course with all the mechanics needed and the profiles options too.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!