Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lessons in Losing  (Read 4702 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lessons in Losing
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 11:29:07 am »

I let the first few dozen wander through cage traps, then the next through spinning death blades, then they go under my marksdwarf fortified overhang, then through another series of cage traps, then more death blades, and behind that my axelords patiently await the remaining bloodbath.

This seems like massive overkill. I have like 10 cages and a drawbridge protecting my fortress, it's normally all I ever have, I just catch the first few goblins [like an ambush suprise] and before the confusion wears off, I drop the drawbridge and send my dwarves to the party. Since last night I've killed a siege and an ambush with no casualties, and my dwarves only get more skilled. No legendaries yet, but one guy is a great fighter or some such.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 11:45:23 am »

Thing is, dorfs can be EXTREMELY deadly in a scrap, due to their powerful alcoholism. Oh, and martial trances. If any military dorf gets this glorious blessing of Armok and wades into a group of enemies, then by Armok, HE/SHE IS GOING TO KILL THEM SO BADLY THAT THEIR ANCESTORS GET UP FROM THEIR GRAVES AND EXPLODE. Even dorfs with only moderate weapon skills outside of a trance can be quite formidable in combat, especially against less experienced foes. That being said though, the random number god just hates you sometimes, which will inevitably get your dorfs done in. It's only a matter of time! If you don't want to wait that long, put your dorfs in a room and crush them into the magma sea with a cave-in. If the miner doesn't die, he'll go insane.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 12:00:32 pm »

its all dependable on the dwarf,
ive got one that has 2 to 3 times the stats of an average dwarf as my millatery commander. -evil biomes will do that to you-

when your agility is 3 times an average dwarf, and your decked out in steel/adamantine because youve stayed alive for so long, trust me, even if the random number god is angry, hell flail inneficiently at you.

realy, it seems you may just have to breach the clownatorium and try win. ^^
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 12:33:20 pm »

I let the first few dozen wander through cage traps, then the next through spinning death blades, then they go under my marksdwarf fortified overhang, then through another series of cage traps, then more death blades, and behind that my axelords patiently await the remaining bloodbath.

This seems like massive overkill. I have like 10 cages and a drawbridge protecting my fortress, it's normally all I ever have, I just catch the first few goblins [like an ambush suprise] and before the confusion wears off, I drop the drawbridge and send my dwarves to the party. Since last night I've killed a siege and an ambush with no casualties, and my dwarves only get more skilled. No legendaries yet, but one guy is a great fighter or some such.
Massive overkill is the dwarfish way!  And anyway, 10 cages won't stop a siege of 100+ units.  Besides, I like having entire sieges giftwrapped for me.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 12:44:27 pm »

My 19 military dwarves seem perfectly capable of fending off 100+ seiges, cage traps or not. =P
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 12:54:26 pm »

But when you kill them you don't get to enjoy drowning them or dropping them down long chutes or tossing them in arenas with Dwarven children.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

ponom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 02:10:33 pm »

Thing is, dorfs can be EXTREMELY deadly in a scrap, due to their powerful alcoholism. Oh, and martial trances. If any military dorf gets this glorious blessing of Armok and wades into a group of enemies, then by Armok, HE/SHE IS GOING TO KILL THEM SO BADLY THAT THEIR ANCESTORS GET UP FROM THEIR GRAVES AND EXPLODE. Even dorfs with only moderate weapon skills outside of a trance can be quite formidable in combat, especially against less experienced foes.

True that is.

I've seen dwarf chasing poor single survivor of an horde, trying to ecsape on plains to the map edge, next tic dwarf was near him and in another tic it was like ultimate particles collision in LHC - gobbo head, upper leg and some other pieces scattered.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 02:12:40 pm by ponom »
Pages: 1 [2]