Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1159492 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1290 on: July 01, 2011, 03:22:40 pm »

Houses are now furnished but he didn't say whether he'd gone on to make the Haunted Furniture Night Creatures yet.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: July 01, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

Also, if he does stalker he might need some more types of stalkers, which means some more types of death. At the moment, people die of old age (not really stalker-worthy), killed in battle or of starvation. He specifically mentionned criminals sentenced to death, which means he'd have to implement some form of crime.

I would say to hold them until marketplaces are around and personal fortune is kept track of. This way we'd have poor people and rich people with actual stuff to steal. Let's just throw a quick check for "am I really poor ? did i use to be richer ? is there someone rich near ? Damn, i might very well try to steal that person." and then take a random decision for the outcome.

Wait, for criminals to be sentenced to death, they need to go to jail somewhere, which means they need to be taken alive. Dungeons could be used as jail, but making people capture other people without killing them, even only in worldgen, could require some significant work, depending on how it is for the moment.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: July 01, 2011, 03:33:18 pm »

Also, if he does stalker he might need some more types of stalkers, which means some more types of death. At the moment, people die of old age (not really stalker-worthy), killed in battle or of starvation. He specifically mentionned criminals sentenced to death, which means he'd have to implement some form of crime.

I'm almost certain he's going to fake all that stuff. I.e. their generation isn't going to tied that heavily to world gen. It would be a Toady One thing to do, to say one Night Creature requires an entire writing of the justice and punishment system.....but he hasn't indicated that's what he's thinking. He'll probably make gibbets in the towns and assume that over time people have been punished there and one of them became a vengeful ghost haunting that site, and go from there.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: July 01, 2011, 03:46:56 pm »

I'm almost certain he's going to fake all that stuff. I.e. their generation isn't going to tied that heavily to world gen. It would be a Toady One thing to do, to say one Night Creature requires an entire writing of the justice and punishment system.....but he hasn't indicated that's what he's thinking. He'll probably make gibbets in the towns and assume that over time people have been punished there and one of them became a vengeful ghost haunting that site, and go from there.
People are already executed in worldgen, for war-related reasons.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: July 01, 2011, 05:17:24 pm »

I don't think NPC theft and village life crime are part of world gen yet though, are they?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: July 01, 2011, 06:29:49 pm »

people die of old age (not really stalker-worthy)

I've seen murderous ghosts who died of old age done well. People who either lived their life in tragety or people who were so fearful of dying that they simply did not move on even after their natural deaths.

I wouldn't be entirely against a Stalker being created from someone who was imprisoned for life or part of some sort of ritualistic torture.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: July 02, 2011, 08:40:12 pm »

Random thought: if we can mod in touch related syndrome, it looks like our lead goblets can finally kill Elves! Hooray!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: July 02, 2011, 08:41:48 pm »

Random thought: if we can mod in touch related syndrome, it looks like our lead goblets can finally kill Elves! Hooray!

Unless properly lined.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: July 02, 2011, 09:59:12 pm »

Unless properly lined.

Granted, you might need to mod the dwarves to be resistant to lead poisoning... otherwise anyone that touches the lead goblets will get sick too...
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: July 02, 2011, 10:05:41 pm »

Oooh, Markets! With a side helping of Sewer Grates! (I assume)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: July 02, 2011, 10:15:32 pm »

Unless properly lined.

Granted, you might need to mod the dwarves to be resistant to lead poisoning... otherwise anyone that touches the lead goblets will get sick too...

From what I understand it takes a bit more then simply touching a lead goblet to get sick... or even just drinking out of it once or twice.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:36 am »

The markets look nice, chasing someone through them will be fun. I also apreciate the change from money chest and tables, it was rather clunky.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: July 03, 2011, 12:51:32 am »

Market seem to be kind of weird. Why everyone have same goods for trade? Yes, I've read note about them having stuff under prickle berries, but its still about ~100 traders selling same stuff at same place.
Also, as typically they would have to pack up and move goods back to storage each day, it would make sense to use wheelcarts of something like that instead of tables.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: July 03, 2011, 01:31:34 am »

Market seem to be kind of weird. Why everyone have same goods for trade? Yes, I've read note about them having stuff under prickle berries, but its still about ~100 traders selling same stuff at same place.
Also, as typically they would have to pack up and move goods back to storage each day, it would make sense to use wheelcarts of something like that instead of tables.

Do you notice most of them are farmers? I think of the markets as fairs where the farmers of the hamlets around the town would take their products to sell - most of it being food.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: July 03, 2011, 01:46:19 am »

Yes - I think markets are mostly for food (and possibly livestock), while shops sell other things.  Some crafts and tools might also make it to the market, but I mean, if you have ever been to an open air market somewhere, it is almost always a food thing.  It might not be immediately useful to an adventurer, but I'm sure it will be a fun place to hang out :)
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 298