Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162507 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1335 on: July 04, 2011, 10:02:27 pm »

>Falling on the ground from a distance even grants the right bonus for the ground's material

And lo, the players did begin working out a system for tossing goblins off of towers, trying to get them to land on the spots they're fatally allergic to.

Drop Goblins onto constructed steel floors. That should work. :D

Already done- I think it turned out that they were fatally allergic to all the floors more than 5 z-lvls down.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 04, 2011, 10:53:24 pm »

Quote from: Areyar
No goblins either...town at war or are goblins just to antisocial to be allowed into town?

I haven't seen goblins in towns for a bit, but they had been moving into them in small numbers before.  I'm not sure if it has been chance or if something is afoot.  The intended result is that there be a few goblins here and there in town.

:o The goblins are planning an attack! Close the gates! Raise the bridges! Marksmen, to arms! Axedwarves, patrol the farm land! Elves, stand on the border and attract the enemies' attention! Nobles hide like cowards in the keep! SOUND THE TRUMPETS, so that no man, dwarf, or elf's heart be in fear! SOUND THE TRUMPETS, so that the enemy knows we are waiting and are ready to FIGHT!. SOUND THE TRUMPETS, so that every creature in the valleys, in the hills, in the mountains, and in the seas know that today, we stand and fight! SOUND THE TRump... what do you mean we can't sound the trumpets? Will someone tell me, why we traded for all those trumpets from the dwarves, when nobody knows how they work!?

Seriously though, good job and thanks for answering my question.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1337 on: July 04, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »

Just saying, I vote for delaying the release long enough to get in player Necromancers. Being able to get the secret tablets buried in the depths of a necromancer's tomb/tower would be severely less cool if you can't do anything with them.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 04, 2011, 11:19:55 pm »

Just saying, I vote for delaying the release long enough to get in player Necromancers. Being able to get the secret tablets buried in the depths of a necromancer's tomb/tower would be severely less cool if you can't do anything with them.

Yes please. If we had a player reaction interface, everything would suddenly be awesome.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 05, 2011, 12:03:15 am »

Same here.

On an unrelated note, one problem I can see with automated edibles could arise when the game has you eat some dragon steaks you were saving to sell at the market when you got back to town instead of your rations of badger haggis.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 05, 2011, 12:12:56 am »

I'd by worried that the game would make auto-eat either dangerous foods or things that you want to keep, such as seeds.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that the game will never be smart enough to avoid auto-eating the foods the players want to keep, especially if you consider all the weird stuff people could mod (would the player prefer to eat the root that makes them go berserk, or the berries that make them turn into a ghost for an hour?).  I'm hoping there's some sort of interface so that we can forbid things... I'd hate to learn my character ran out of water and auto-drank some vampire blood...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 05, 2011, 12:20:17 am »

Searched around a bit and didn't manage to find anything so,

When shall we see hammerer, beast tamer, etc, being fixed with their migrant issue.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 05, 2011, 01:30:14 am »

When shall we see hammerer, beast tamer, etc, being fixed with their migrant issue.

I don't have an idea, but hopefully soon. To be honest, I'd sooner have a bug-free DF than any amount of cool, new, buggy features. Some bugs have been open for over a year now, and the game may become unmaintainable if more features are added before the old ones work.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 05, 2011, 01:52:55 am »

I don't have an idea, but hopefully soon. To be honest, I'd sooner have a bug-free DF than any amount of cool, new, buggy features. Some bugs have been open for over a year now, and the game may become unmaintainable if more features are added before the old ones work.

They will be fixed when Toady get around them. After this release we will have a series of bugfixes releases. Last time we got hundreds of bugs fixed.

Toady's schedule: new features release, "new bugs" bugfixing release, "old bugs" bugfixing release. It is perfecct - it advances this alpha stage game while letting it to be playable.

An alpha denotes that a game isn't feature complete.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:57:23 am by thvaz »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 05, 2011, 02:02:20 am »

Nevertheless, I'd still prefer a development cycle that fixes bugs before introducing new features. DF has boatloads of stuff already, feature-complete or not. Fixing bugs quicker would make this game a lot more playable than adding more and more stuff to maintain.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 05, 2011, 02:16:02 am »

Thanks for the answer Toady.

The roguelike Caves of Qud does automatic eating/drinking from your inventory if you have it for overland travel that works pretty well. I think that an automatic system for Adventure Mode would work pretty well, provided that the game was smart enough to tell you that you are out of food/water. An automatic setting to refill waterskins when near fresh water might be nice, too. As would a basic auto-gather option. Maybe a percentage of time spent gathering setting so that you can balance food gathering with speed. So if you've got plenty of food or are in a hurry you can do no/minimal gathering and if you aren't in a hurry but don't want to spend too much time hunting you could just set a high gather-time and meander your way through the wilds.
Some way of judging how much food and water you'll need might be nice, though, I guess we'd just get a feel for it.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 05, 2011, 04:49:14 am »

Nevertheless, I'd still prefer a development cycle that fixes bugs before introducing new features. DF has boatloads of stuff already, feature-complete or not. Fixing bugs quicker would make this game a lot more playable than adding more and more stuff to maintain.

I'm glad you aren't in charge then. This was discussed to exhaustion already. There is no point in fixing every bug when everything is subject to change. The game is completely playable now, and that is enough for me, and to a lot of people.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:22 am »

Yep, there is no point in spending time on bugs on placeholders if said bugs aren't game breaking. I haven't had a game breaking bug in a long while now.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 05, 2011, 05:42:45 am »

Will we ever get objects/items that can do certain attacks, like strangling. (E.g. Will we one day be able to garrote someone with his best friends guts, or whip him with them? And will we be able to build in Adventurer Mode anytime in the foreseeable future?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 05, 2011, 05:45:28 am »

I'm glad you aren't in charge then. This was discussed to exhaustion already. There is no point in fixing every bug when everything is subject to change. The game is completely playable now, and that is enough for me, and to a lot of people.

The features are enough as well, if you ask me. And of course I'm not in charge. I'm just expressing my opinions. I'd sooner have the current feature set with no bugs than a wider array of features with the old bugs and the bugs introduced by the new features.
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 298