Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160518 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 07:26:22 am »

I just wanna say I'm really looking forward to all of this.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 08:41:27 am »

Can we make subtle region curses? I'd like to see little hamlets full of backwards, mutated townsfolk.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 09:48:38 am »

Thanks again for all the answers Toady, and also thanks for all the close updates lately!
Love, scriver~

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 09:56:55 am »

You know I don't think we're really on the topic of "Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities" any more.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:14:13 am »

Man, this stuff sounds really cool :P

A question, though;
Have you settled on what these 'secrets' will allow? Would you pretty please be able to post a list (so, immortality, raising and binding undead, rapid healing, etc)?

Cheers oh mighty Toad!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 11:48:05 am »

The necromancer stuff sounds interesting.
Toady, will necromancy be possible in the Arena?
That seems like it could lead to some interesting battles.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »

Will curses/syndromes be curable in a way that does not kill the person who is cursed? For instance, if a gang of werewolves attacks my fort, can I trap them and then apply some cure, turning them into normal dwarves/humans/etc which could then be friendly and join my fort?

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 12:52:48 pm »

You know I don't think we're really on the topic of "Better town maps involving workshops/markets/shops based on world gen economic activities" any more.
Well, once we had the cities we needed stuff to fight in the cities, and that means new night creatures to Toady. And new night creatures needed a new curse framework which led to interactions and yeah, it's a bit of a feature creep. I highly doubt that you or anyone else is sincerely complaining though, since it's also awesome.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 12:55:03 pm »

How often do you currently check out suggestions forum?
I don't need a signature.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2011, 12:57:27 pm »

With the advent of necromancy, will it be possible to use necromancer's powers to recruit ghosts on quests of revenge?

Oh, and another question: Will it be possible to get quests of revenge from your old dead adventurers for in exchange for the dead adventurer's equipment?
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2011, 02:38:49 pm »

Oh wow, the opportunities. Tags like water-breathing... wide-area curses... The first thing to do, obviously, is mod the various weather and water spheres to bestow a curse that gives everyone gills.

Can we make subtle region curses? I'd like to see little hamlets full of backwards, mutated townsfolk.

Getting a little Innsmouth in here.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 03:31:20 pm »

Oh wow, the opportunities. Tags like water-breathing... wide-area curses... The first thing to do, obviously, is mod the various weather and water spheres to bestow a curse that gives everyone gills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2011, 04:57:11 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tTHn2tHhcI
My first thought was "Little Brittain".

Anyhow, knowing a Secret could turn having a Curse into a Power.
n.b. Like being infected with undead curse X makes you a mindless zombie on death, however knowing the secret of  how to preserve one's soul in a container allows one to preserve the mind. (like Ad&d Ghouls) Collecting knowledge of preserving meat, binding woulds or tachidermy could allow becoming a mummy.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2011, 06:38:58 pm »

So many threads get derailed as soon as someone brings up multithreading.

When will the forums support multithreading?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2011, 06:44:29 pm »

Well, once we had the cities we needed stuff to fight in the cities, and that means new night creatures to Toady. And new night creatures needed a new curse framework which led to interactions and yeah, it's a bit of a feature creep. I highly doubt that you or anyone else is sincerely complaining though, since it's also awesome.
It is awesome, but I'd still rather we didn't get into long releases, and Toady has that he doesn't want to either. And this release is heading towards being long.

Anyhow, knowing a Secret could turn having a Curse into a Power.
n.b. Like being infected with undead curse X makes you a mindless zombie on death, however knowing the secret of  how to preserve one's soul in a container allows one to preserve the mind. (like Ad&d Ghouls) Collecting knowledge of preserving meat, binding woulds or tachidermy could allow becoming a mummy.
I don't think it's going to have any level dynamic stuff like that in the near future. Maybe when we get to Magic arc.
So many threads get derailed as soon as someone brings up multithreading.

When will the forums support multithreading?
This caused me to laugh until I coughed. Congratulations, good sir.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 298