Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160486 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1860 on: August 15, 2011, 12:55:33 am »

Will the player be able to take advantage of that mechanic to complement whatever necromancy they pick up?
Now that specific abilities are attached to specific body parts, will we be able to perform the aforementioned Dragon Head/Hydra Body and expect firebreath as a result?

From what I understand it is a mechanic that occurs outside the scope of actual gameplay, as well Toady has yet to input the codes requires for any creature to have the bodyparts of another (which would take him a month).

So actually... No you wouldn't be able to do that.

Also though I can't speak for Toady on your first question about whether the Frankenstiens would be in this release... It is looking distinctly no.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: August 15, 2011, 02:18:13 am »

From devlog:
My seven dwarves were able to dispatch some dozens of zombies without difficulty, which might be a problem.

It is certainly a problem. All your work on undeads would be pointless if they aren't a challenge. I hope you have time to fix it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: August 15, 2011, 02:30:22 am »

From devlog:
My seven dwarves were able to dispatch some dozens of zombies without difficulty, which might be a problem.

It is certainly a problem. All your work on undeads would be pointless if they aren't a challenge. I hope you have time to fix it.

I personally am not all that surprised. By what means should the zombies be getting any sort of advantage other then "No pain" and "No exhaust" and "No bleed"?

I don't see how exactly there is a problem unless these were skilled ninja undead fully clad in armor.

The only other fix I can think of would be to give zombies a "Move through" so to speak where they can ignore attacks projected at them (especially ones that don't do a lot of blunt damage) to get opportunity attacks. Which is one of the dangers of zombies is that for the most part they can just ignore anything you do, but at the same time it is also a weakness.

Actually to admit... How exactly did the Dwarves win? Was it the lumber jack who eventually got to the rest of the zombies while the rest managed to avoid the zombie attacks?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 02:34:22 am by Neonivek »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: August 15, 2011, 02:38:20 am »

Clearly necromancers need more zombies. And raise their hit point number, that'll have to hold until the proper pulping goes in. Proper pulping shouldn't go in now, this release is taking long enough already.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:03 am »

Clearly necromancers need more zombies. And raise their hit point number, that'll have to hold until the proper pulping goes in. Proper pulping shouldn't go in now, this release is taking long enough already.

Yeah, I think it is a matter of too few hit points right now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: August 15, 2011, 03:03:13 am »

Yeah, I think it is a matter of too few hit points right now.

Or the fact that zombies don't have their monsterous strength as if they were on a pernament adrenalin rush.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:27 am »

If they had and could use weapons they would be a lot more dangerous.

assasinwar9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: August 15, 2011, 05:06:42 am »

i need this update so bad i think im gana cry man  :'(
immortal is never dieing so that sucks lol

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1868 on: August 15, 2011, 05:39:37 am »

I really hope reanimated bodies will keep their clothing/armor.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: August 15, 2011, 05:51:38 am »

I really hope reanimated bodies will keep their clothing/armor.

If nothing changed I doubt they will, as when something dies it drops all their clothes and equipment.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: August 15, 2011, 06:46:27 am »

I asked about this a while back.
I haven't done anything with equipment.

So not yet, but maybe in the future.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: August 15, 2011, 07:40:22 am »

Well, it is a pity. They are worthless gameplay-wise as long as they don't offer some challenge to players.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1872 on: August 15, 2011, 08:22:38 am »

Shame about corpses not keeping equipment (which would also ease up post-siege cleanup btw.)

Well, it is a pity. They are worthless gameplay-wise as long as they don't offer some challenge to players.

Still, it still brings iteresting elements to play:

Right now, graveyard design does not matter. You can have coffins in your hallways and dining room, untreatenin.

But when you face possibility of your dead raising as undead, you have to make it with threat in mind. Seal your crypts away, install traps amongst coffins, that kind of stuff...

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: August 15, 2011, 08:24:27 am »

I also think that facing Zombies should also cause some bad thoughts. Simply having Zombies on the map could cause some small bad thought, while facing them in battle might cause another one. If one of your friends or beloved ones becomes a Zombie this should cause a really bad thought.

The need to monitor your graveyards combined with the possibility of Undead Raids and the permanent psychological stress on your dwarves should offer a nice additional challenge.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: August 15, 2011, 08:33:09 am »

Depends on the undead... A naked undead human might not be much of a threat, but I'd imagine that an undead cyclops, giant or dragon would be much more of a problem.

And of course your dwarves might end up fighting undead relatives and loved ones... I'd imagine that'd cause some problems for them too.
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 298