Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1152784 times)

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1905 on: August 20, 2011, 01:04:32 pm »

Since zombies need a head or grasping body parts to be reanimated, what happens to a resurrected zombie that gets its head and hands chopped of in battle? Does it fall "dead" (and if so, could that be why the zombies are being defeated so easily?), or does it continue "living" without the head and grasp parts?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: August 20, 2011, 01:20:34 pm »

Since zombies need a head or grasping body parts to be reanimated, what happens to a resurrected zombie that gets its head and hands chopped of in battle?
It collapses, according to DF Talk 14. But since chopping off body parts isn't that easily controllable in Dwarf mode, the ease of killing the zombies probably can be attributed to the hit point system.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: August 20, 2011, 02:17:57 pm »

Speaking of the hit point system - when it was put in place it was to deal with the fact that zombies had no death conditions, and as such were nearly impossible to kill.  Now that there are death conditions for zombies (losing all graspers/mouths) the hit point system is probably on its way out.  It was always a temporary measure, but we'll see if it is still necessary. 
where is up?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1908 on: August 20, 2011, 02:34:07 pm »

Speaking of the hit point system - when it was put in place it was to deal with the fact that zombies had no death conditions, and as such were nearly impossible to kill.  Now that there are death conditions for zombies (losing all graspers/mouths) the hit point system is probably on its way out.  It was always a temporary measure, but we'll see if it is still necessary.

You have to shoot em in the head.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: August 20, 2011, 02:56:53 pm »

But severing body parts isn't always possible, remember. I'm sure you've fought forgotten beasts that just won't be bisected, right? Or the nigh-impossible to decapitate bronze colossus? I think the hitpoint system will still be needed unless/until the sever mechanics are changed.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: August 20, 2011, 03:26:35 pm »

Just poked my head into Mantis to report a bug, and I noticed that this upcoming release has a couple Truetype bugs fixed by Baughn, so that's exciting.

Those have been up there for a long time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: August 20, 2011, 03:37:58 pm »

But severing body parts isn't always possible, remember. I'm sure you've fought forgotten beasts that just won't be bisected, right? Or the nigh-impossible to decapitate bronze colossus? I think the hitpoint system will still be needed unless/until the sever mechanics are changed.
Those creatures don't use the hitpoint system to my knowledge, even though they probably should. 
where is up?

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: August 20, 2011, 04:23:15 pm »

Those creatures don't use the hitpoint system to my knowledge, even though they probably should. 
No, but you suggested that the hitpoint system might no longer be used for zombies, a suggestion with which I have no issues, given that the sever mechanics are changed to permit multiple strikes to increase the probability of a severing on any given hit via damage to the connecting region, as otherwise very large undead creatures could become impossible to kill.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: August 20, 2011, 04:45:55 pm »

I think hit points is going to stay in until "pulping" is implemented, really.
Love, scriver~

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: August 20, 2011, 04:59:35 pm »

I think that the pulping system is un-needed. I would be fine with it if Zombies only went down when their hands and head were hacked off, as this would make them quite dangerous opponents. In the case of a undead head, then any decent swipe with a weapon would "Tear the brain", finishing it off. (I am assuming that hits to the brain will kill them  :o)

However I do think that a HP system would have to be put in place for undead hands/arms. That way after a few hits the arm would just collapse, as there is no way at the moment to kill something that does not have a brain/blood supply/upper or lower body.

TL;DR: I would prefer it if the HP system only applied to severed arms/hands.
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: August 20, 2011, 05:03:46 pm »

The pulping system would be there to stop heads and hands from coming back to life after you've killed them a dozen times, broken every bone in their "bodies" and torn the brain out all over the floor.
Love, scriver~

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #1916 on: August 20, 2011, 05:34:33 pm »

I think that the pulping system is un-needed.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: August 20, 2011, 06:05:02 pm »

I think that the pulping system is un-needed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But the Zombies won't be made from steel. At least I hope they wont. Ah...I have horrible images of that Forgotten Beast corpse that was left outside being reanimated...That would be interesting  8)
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: August 20, 2011, 06:27:38 pm »

I don't think zombies were ever really overpowered, the problem was forgotten beasts/late-game enemies and the fix for them just sort of happened to also apply to zombies.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: August 20, 2011, 06:33:39 pm »

I don't think zombies were ever really overpowered, the problem was forgotten beasts/late-game enemies and the fix for them just sort of happened to also apply to zombies.
I can assure you that they were.  I had my military fight a zombified eagle for several months before my soldiers started dying of thirst.  With no death conditions, combat with the puddle of zombie eagle just went on and on and on despite it being unable to move or respond in any way.  Perhaps they were not "overpowered" in the sense that they did not do substantial damage, but something just refusing to die if pretty game-breaking. 

I am nevertheless having trouble imagining how a pulping system would work that wouldn't just be a fancy hitpoints thing.  Maybe after red damage to an area you just keep hitting it until it turns to goo?  But this still doesn't fix dumb stuff like thousands of undead fingers crawling around. 

It is almost as though zombies make no scientific sense...
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 [128] 129 130 ... 298