Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1152764 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1920 on: August 20, 2011, 07:33:39 pm »

The game needs to recognise a disabled opponent.

"I am nevertheless having trouble imagining how a pulping system would work that wouldn't just be a fancy hitpoints thing"

Likely it will work on like cumulative damage where each blow increases the chance that a zombie will be turned to pulp until it is practically guarenteed.

If Necromancy ever gets a skill to me it would be the amount the zombie is unhindered by injuries. So a legendary revived Zombie that had all its bones broken would still be able to fight effectively.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 07:51:34 pm by Neonivek »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: August 20, 2011, 08:33:19 pm »

I don't think zombies were ever really overpowered, the problem was forgotten beasts/late-game enemies and the fix for them just sort of happened to also apply to zombies.
I can assure you that they were.  I had my military fight a zombified eagle for several months before my soldiers started dying of thirst.  With no death conditions, combat with the puddle of zombie eagle just went on and on and on despite it being unable to move or respond in any way.  Perhaps they were not "overpowered" in the sense that they did not do substantial damage, but something just refusing to die if pretty game-breaking. 

I am nevertheless having trouble imagining how a pulping system would work that wouldn't just be a fancy hitpoints thing.  Maybe after red damage to an area you just keep hitting it until it turns to goo?  But this still doesn't fix dumb stuff like thousands of undead fingers crawling around. 

It is almost as though zombies make no scientific sense...
Were they wrestlers?  I killed plenty of zombie camels and even a few scorpions before the fix, all it took was a headshot with a sword or axe.  That said, the only real difference between zombies and the inorganic forgotten beasts who were undeniably broken is size, so I suppose a large enough zombie would have posed the same problems they did.

Neonivek is right, too, dwarves need to respond a little more intellegently to nearly harmless and practically unkillable creatures (edit: especially with stalkers and vulnerabilities coming in).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 08:35:56 pm by nil »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: August 21, 2011, 02:03:28 am »

I don't think zombies were ever really overpowered, the problem was forgotten beasts/late-game enemies and the fix for them just sort of happened to also apply to zombies.
I can assure you that they were.  I had my military fight a zombified eagle for several months before my soldiers started dying of thirst.  With no death conditions, combat with the puddle of zombie eagle just went on and on and on despite it being unable to move or respond in any way.  Perhaps they were not "overpowered" in the sense that they did not do substantial damage, but something just refusing to die if pretty game-breaking. 

I am nevertheless having trouble imagining how a pulping system would work that wouldn't just be a fancy hitpoints thing.  Maybe after red damage to an area you just keep hitting it until it turns to goo?  But this still doesn't fix dumb stuff like thousands of undead fingers crawling around. 

It is almost as though zombies make no scientific sense...
Were they wrestlers?  I killed plenty of zombie camels and even a few scorpions before the fix, all it took was a headshot with a sword or axe.  That said, the only real difference between zombies and the inorganic forgotten beasts who were undeniably broken is size, so I suppose a large enough zombie would have posed the same problems they did.

Neonivek is right, too, dwarves need to respond a little more intellegently to nearly harmless and practically unkillable creatures (edit: especially with stalkers and vulnerabilities coming in).
Stalkers shouldn't be nearly harmless.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: August 21, 2011, 02:12:05 am »

What are these stalkers people keep talking about? I apparently missed something along the line.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: August 21, 2011, 04:34:49 am »

You could say that stalkers are revenants, dead that return because they have some unfinished business... in that they were killed in some brutal fashion, and now exact vengeance on whomever they might happen upon. Here you can read more about them.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: August 21, 2011, 06:49:29 am »

really if the dwarves didn't freak out when something is near but can't kill them then the only reason for zombies to ever have to die is to avoid lag.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1926 on: August 21, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »

I find talk of making dwarves able to judge threats to be a bit premature when they still don't realize that they're on fire.

DaemonBomb

• Escaped Lunatic
  • A FRIGGIN WIZARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: August 21, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »

I am a newb, and I don't know if this has been suggested, but if your creating a magic system, then what if you split Elves into Wood Elves (the Annoying, normal ones) and Eladrin, or High Elves, who sell only enchanted items, and are all Squishy wizards? Maybe there would be a wizard noble who comes when you get a Spell book from the Eladrin!
Urist McLegendary(+5)Soaper is taken by a fey mood!
Urist McLegendary(+5)Soaper has begun a mysterious construction!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: August 21, 2011, 06:44:43 pm »

hey demonbob, i think you got the wrong thread, and possibly, the wrong game

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: August 21, 2011, 06:59:34 pm »

Yeah, the Extremely Specific and Arbitrary Suggestions Forum is one or two forums down.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: August 21, 2011, 07:57:43 pm »

Yeah, the Extremely Specific and Arbitrary Suggestions Forum is one or two forums down.
For some reason two forums down is the Curses forum.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: August 21, 2011, 08:27:08 pm »

Quote from: The Devlog
Raising little bits and pieces and adventure-moding them in the arena continued to expose various problems. At the worst of it, knocking out an animated head's teeth caused two copies of the head to fly out and land on the ground, which would then be raised (complete with teeth), continuing the process until the arena was a churning mass of heads.

I don't suppose that there's any way that this bug could be adjusted so that it only applies to hydras with the resulting creation being skeleton warriors instead of more animated heads, is there?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: August 21, 2011, 08:36:55 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I tried the butcher command in the arena, and the necromancer managed to raise both a skeleton and a walking hollow skin... which I suppose I'll keep since it makes about as much sense as a walking skeleton. So... keep the necromancer away from your raw skin stockpiles, he he he.

Holy moly, that is an unsettling mental image.

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: August 21, 2011, 08:48:31 pm »

Quote from: devlog
I tried the butcher command in the arena, and the necromancer managed to raise both a skeleton and a walking hollow skin... which I suppose I'll keep since it makes about as much sense as a walking skeleton. So... keep the necromancer away from your raw skin stockpiles, he he he.

Holy moly, that is an unsettling mental image.

I can't imagine a walking skin putting up much of a fight. Though I suppose the same could be said of a walking skeleton.  How well did the hollow creatures fare in combat?
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: August 21, 2011, 08:50:53 pm »

:o

Hollow skin? Eeeeeew.

Now all I can imagine is a hollow zombie with a "leatherface" face.   
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130 131 ... 298