Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160031 times)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #1995 on: August 25, 2011, 02:56:51 am »

Perhaps Armok might turn out to be the demiurge of the world and so not feature in the lesser pantheon, or perhaps he will be a god like all the others, but I can't imagine that the fantasy world could possibly be better for his absence... IMO Armok provides a gravitational centre to the fantasy at the moment, even if he is a mystery.
armok wont turn out to be anything, it's just an in joke referring to a game long defunct now. i can't imagine how a procedurally generated universe would be better with a recurring stock character. would you like some cacame with your armok?
I think armok should be just as constant as dwarfs and goblins.
If it got to a point deities were consigned to raws, then Armok could be a defined overgod with a set personality, with a lesser pantheon generated in the same manner as current gods/forgotten beasts. This allows him to be modded out/replaced, so his permanency in the game is up to the player. This could have amusing results if the title page took its name from the raws. in terms of a modded game:
SLAVES TO ARGLBARGLE: GOD OF VERMIN
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: August 25, 2011, 02:59:46 am »

Arm_OK

Arm_Not_OK

Arm_Reanimated?

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: August 25, 2011, 03:08:05 am »

Arm_OK

Arm_Not_OK

Arm_Reanimated?

Slaves to Armreanimated: God of Bile.
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Twisted Mansions

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress: Where Failing is rewarding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: August 25, 2011, 03:39:31 am »

With the idea of walking skin and such, I was thinking the re-animated skin should be a strangler/smotherer by trying to envelop the body or face (depending on size) to smother the life from the victim. Imagine trying to fight something trying to wrap around you by grappling/strangling/smothering while having to deal with other hostiles.
Dwarf Fortress: Where Epic Fail becomes Epic stories.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: August 25, 2011, 12:44:29 pm »

it would be so much creepier if it tried to have you inside it, and digested you slowly while you can only watch your body being forced to follow the movements of the skin... If I was a hollow walking pile of skin, I'd try to gain some substance.

Tov01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: August 25, 2011, 01:44:33 pm »

Since zombies currently resurrect naked, would it be possible for them to pick up armor and weapons they find, either on their own initiative or by direction of their necromancer. This would of course be limited to what parts they have left. No weapons without a hand, no boots without a foot, and so on.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, so bear with me if it has. When hill dwarf settlements are in, are there plans to allow adventurers to visit them in adventure mode, and if so, how would they be different from the standard dwarven mountain halls, if at all.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: August 25, 2011, 01:57:31 pm »

Since zombies currently resurrect naked, would it be possible for them to pick up armor and weapons they find, either on their own initiative or by direction of their necromancer. This would of course be limited to what parts they have left. No weapons without a hand, no boots without a foot, and so on.

This falls under the broader need for companion equipment, which Toady is aware of but hasn't implemented yet:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: FuzzyDoom
Will there be a way to give items to our companions? And perhaps an easier way to equip weapons? (Just had to wiki it.)

We have to get to companion equipment sooner than later, since it can be very frustrating to either lose a weapon or just have lots of excess armor that shouldn't be excess.  It isn't in for 0.31.17 though.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been asked yet, so bear with me if it has. When hill dwarf settlements are in, are there plans to allow adventurers to visit them in adventure mode, and if so, how would they be different from the standard dwarven mountain halls, if at all.

Yes, adventurers will be able to visit any site.  The specifics of what their sites will look like probably aren't clear yet (and neither are the new dwarven mountain halls, AFAIK).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: August 25, 2011, 04:31:30 pm »

Falls on a LOT of broader needs. Such as your companions having their own goals and possible autonomy inside towns (Shore leave if you will) that allows them to use the rewards they earn.

Footkerchief has toady commented on the possibility of Shore leave (for back of a better term) or rather when you go to town for your companions to do what they want to until your ready to leave?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: August 25, 2011, 04:49:49 pm »

Footkerchief has toady commented on the possibility of Shore leave (for back of a better term) or rather when you go to town for your companions to do what they want to until your ready to leave?

If not, that would make a great DF Talk subject.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2004 on: August 25, 2011, 05:10:39 pm »

I for one like the idea of collecting a squad of animal people allies in a deep cave somewhere, then making my way back and telling them to have fun while I go to a tavern.... until they tear up some shop or something while I'm not looking and I have to get out of town before the guards catch us.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: August 25, 2011, 05:20:01 pm »

I know in one of the talks he discussed at least briefly having companions being more autonomous and you being able to give them higher level orders he may have gone into "shore leave" then, I think it was when he was first talking about adventurer sites but i don't remember which talk that was.

Dr. D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: August 25, 2011, 06:39:33 pm »

This is interesting...

For a question, will there be more mundane problems in cities for adventurers to take care of, such as the ever-popular dwarf mode task of dealing with as swarm of feral cats?
Bombengranadenelementplitzplotzdonnerwettersappermentnochmal!

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: August 25, 2011, 07:44:22 pm »

Once cultural fashion is implemented, this could be very interesting. I'm imagining a zombie sporting clothing from ten different civs. If dwarves' fashion choices are any indication, a zombie might find and pick up a shirt, a single bronze high boot, a turban, striped socks, bell bottoms, and a fake Groucho Marx mustache.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: August 25, 2011, 07:51:56 pm »

Will the following ever be possible?: Your adventurer and his companions are taken captive and sold to a slave caravan transporting them deep underground to the caverns for days, joining in with the other inmates and captured subterranean folk to fight off attacking underground monsters while the evil goblins and dwarves who captured you bet on survivors, finally ending your trek in a deep slavery trade depot, whereupon non-player characters are sold for hard labor and the player character must somewhere along the way devise his escape.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: August 26, 2011, 02:01:39 am »

Regarding hollow skin as a strangler/smotherer...Skin isn't very difficult to tear apart. You'd need to be really weak to get in trouble. Unless maybe you were fighting a hollow hippo-skin, then you may need to worry a little because of its thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 298