Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161774 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2010 on: August 26, 2011, 04:30:56 am »

really?

last thing I saw made of leather was pretty damn tough.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 26, 2011, 07:24:33 am »

There's quite a difference in skin vs leather. That's part of the point of making it leather in the first place.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Halconnen

• Bay Watcher
  • Danmaku Fortress
    • View Profile
    • Certaincake
« Reply #2012 on: August 26, 2011, 11:17:55 am »

On the topic of wrestling, especially with the prospect of zombies getting iron grips, are there any plans on making the grapples generally more detailed? I sort of had to imagine a particularily brawny (mass advantage?) adventurer just going and dragging zombies latched onto him along if he cannot break their grips. Perhaps to intentionally haul himself (and the latched zombiepile) off of a cliff while praying in order to get out of that situation.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 26, 2011, 02:18:13 pm »

What necromancers will do on fortress mode?They'll Hostile?There will be zombie/skeletons sieges?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: August 26, 2011, 02:33:51 pm »

yes. also, you can add hollow skins to that list, as well as the assorted stray limb or head

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: August 26, 2011, 03:18:29 pm »

Item attacks like that were languishing on the old dev pages for a while (and in particular various things with the guts), but it hasn't happened yet.

Topical but NWS for stupid digusting martial arts violence

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: August 26, 2011, 03:21:17 pm »

Judging by Footkerchief's response I am guessing the answer to my question was no!

TO the Fortress Talks!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: August 26, 2011, 04:01:42 pm »

Judging by Footkerchief's response I am guessing the answer to my question was no!

TO the Fortress Talks!

Oh, I missed that.  Yeah, I don't think shore leave has been brought up at all.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: August 26, 2011, 06:39:23 pm »

TO the Fortress Talks!

Oh, I missed that.  Yeah, I don't think shore leave has been brought up at all.

Shore Leave could happen though. With the Time Passing mechanics that Toady spoken of, it could be an addition to it.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: August 26, 2011, 06:41:00 pm »

I just have to structure it as the right question. Hmmmmm

*Gets on the thinking glasses*

Given I always do this wrong, I'll have to do some extra thinking.

Hmm do I say "What do you think about Shore leave" or... something else... AHHHH!

Dang it Fortress Talks! At least with Future of the fortress I am aware if my question was wrong.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:30:37 pm by Neonivek »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: August 26, 2011, 11:26:29 pm »

Perhaps Armok might turn out to be the demiurge of the world and so not feature in the lesser pantheon, or perhaps he will be a god like all the others, but I can't imagine that the fantasy world could possibly be better for his absence... IMO Armok provides a gravitational centre to the fantasy at the moment, even if he is a mystery.
armok wont turn out to be anything, it's just an in joke referring to a game long defunct now. i can't imagine how a procedurally generated universe would be better with a recurring stock character. would you like some cacame with your armok?
I think armok should be just as constant as dwarfs and goblins.
If it got to a point deities were consigned to raws, then Armok could be a defined overgod with a set personality, with a lesser pantheon generated in the same manner as current gods/forgotten beasts. This allows him to be modded out/replaced, so his permanency in the game is up to the player. This could have amusing results if the title page took its name from the raws. in terms of a modded game:
SLAVES TO ARGLBARGLE: GOD OF VERMIN

Its been strongly suggested that the player is armok anyways. The player can go in and out of worlds as he pleases guiding civilizations and controlling heroes directly. If armok has any in game presence its through the player.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, soooo, has toady mentioned anything regarding reanimated people keeping their skills? Or are they just like the old zombies and stuff?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: August 27, 2011, 02:04:36 am »

Its been strongly suggested that the player is armok anyways. The player can go in and out of worlds as he pleases guiding civilizations and controlling heroes directly. If armok has any in game presence its through the player.
The player is supposed to be the whole of the fortress government. Yes, the player routinely performs partial suicide. :P

Anyway, I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, soooo, has toady mentioned anything regarding reanimated people keeping their skills? Or are they just like the old zombies and stuff?
The reanimated dead lack their souls and skills. "Resurrected" dead like mummies have their souls and skills.
A reanimated body doesn't have the same historical information (or a soul/skills).  A resurrection (which exists, for use by mummy disturbance currently) does bring the soul back.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: August 27, 2011, 02:37:10 am »

Its been strongly suggested that the player is armok anyways.

By who? Everything Toady has said about the matter directly contradicts this.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: August 27, 2011, 02:59:05 am »

Not to mention Armok being called by name in some threetoe stories.

After that point Armok officially stopped being the player.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: August 27, 2011, 06:06:52 am »

Many people in fanon. This theory better match known facts than what Toady himself says (as Knight Otu commented, it is not very consistent). Oh, delicious irony. And even if we leave fortress mode as player being local goverment, what with adventure mode?

Anyway... embodiement of dwarf goverment, yeah right. While goverments can be suicidally stupid (I will NOT give examples), consequences/punishment must be more indirect and distant in space/time than it is ever in DF.

Armok is player fits perfectly. Well, as perfectly, as something contradictiong Word Of God can be. :P

Not to mention Armok being called by name in some threetoe stories. After that point Armok officially stopped being the player.
Officially it never was player to begin with.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 298