Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162694 times)

Flink

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2145 on: September 14, 2011, 11:24:25 am »

I have some questions about fortress mode:

1. With all the new trading stuff, will there be a way to sell more than you got(f.e. for coins)? Will there be a treasury where all my valuables can be stored?

2. Once something has been build, it never deacays/gets damaged and right now, this kinda slows down the late game, as you do not need to build as many beds  and other stuff any more(except for trading). This is kinda bad, because you have more dwarfs in each profession, but less to do for them.
Will there be damage and maybe even a technican/repairman profession?

3. As new dwarfs join the fortress because of it's wealth, wouldn't it be just normal, if they left when things got bad?  Maybe they take some of my gold and leave to settle somewhere else a.s.o.

4. Will there be a chance to cure insanity someday? Maybe... with some kind of potion?

5. ... will there be potions / alchemy? I can already harvest and process gathered plants. Right now I don't use this a lot, because there is always loads of food in a "normal" fortress. So why not use the spare plumpo helmets to make some strong anti-dragon poison ;)

6. Will there ever be a way to prevent dwarfs form reproducing and emigrating? It would be kinda cool if one could change community settings with mandates so fortress growth can be controlled a little better.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: September 14, 2011, 11:51:07 am »

I know 3 and 6 are in the ESV somewhere.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: September 14, 2011, 01:26:16 pm »

suggestions foruuuuuuuuuuuuuum
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: September 14, 2011, 03:44:32 pm »

Anybody else want to fire a corpse from a catapult?

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: September 14, 2011, 07:15:58 pm »

Fire a living thing from  drawbridge. i can assure you, most of them will be a corpse when they land.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: September 14, 2011, 08:23:07 pm »

Fire a living thing from  drawbridge. i can assure you, most of them will be a corpse when they land.

All of them will be a corpse. Some of them won't be still attached.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: September 14, 2011, 09:17:39 pm »

So if creatures can breathe items,  can you can make a ballista-beast that shoots like an actual ballista, or does item-breath just drop the items at the target's location?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 09:25:20 pm by EveryZig »
Soaplent green is goblins!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2152 on: September 15, 2011, 02:22:16 am »

So if creatures can breathe items,  can you can make a ballista-beast that shoots like an actual ballista, or does item-breath just drop the items at the target's location?

Do you mean ballista bolt? or like an actual ballista that then fires ballista bolts?  Like a tower defense beast.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

runiq

• Bay Watcher
  • Jabber: runiq at draugr dot de
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art account.
« Reply #2153 on: September 15, 2011, 03:13:03 am »

Do you mean ballista bolt? or like an actual ballista that then fires ballista bolts?  Like a tower defense beast.

I'd like to see cats that can puke cats.

…please disregard me, I'm just posting to follow.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: September 15, 2011, 07:00:15 am »

If (apparently) creatures instead of melting can now ignite, Is there/will there be some sort of panic mode for them[creatures on fire], so that they would dive into water/roll on ground to put out the fire?
I'd assume it would make sense. You might not be able to swim, and diving into a moat with full plate is a bad idea anyway, but it would give you a bit more time. Anyone know if water mist puts out fires in game?

edit: Cleared the green text up a abit.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:34:38 am by LordDemon »
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: September 15, 2011, 07:10:14 am »

I too would love it if dwarves were smart enough to enter a body of water if they are burning.  It would probably just change their death message from burned to death to has drowned, and make the body realistically unrecoverable. (who's going to moses effect a river just to retrieve a dead animal caretaker) but it would be one little thing to make the dwarves seem a little bit smarter.

But at the same time that could be really hard to implement.  Does the pathing even recognize water as such? Does it only see it as something that blocks movement?  What if it recognizes liquids but doesn't distinguish between water and magma?  Would Urist McOhgodmyflesh jump into a pool of magma to sooth his burning flesh?  Those are the burning questions.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2156 on: September 15, 2011, 08:15:33 am »

Would Urist McOhgodmyflesh jump into a pool of magma to sooth his burning flesh?  Those are the burning questions.

Urist McSnakeOilUser: I am burning, lets cure this with tiny drop of magma dissolved in magma!

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: September 15, 2011, 08:38:52 am »

Would Urist McOhgodmyflesh jump into a pool of magma to sooth his burning flesh?  Those are the burning questions.

Urist McSnakeOilUser: I am burning, lets cure this with tiny drop of magma dissolved in magma!

Hair of the dog that bit you, and all that.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: September 15, 2011, 10:10:59 am »

I mean shooting ballista bolts the same way a ballista shoots them; doing damage to creatures and sometimes passing through them.
Soaplent green is goblins!

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: September 15, 2011, 11:40:21 am »

But at the same time that could be really hard to implement.  Does the pathing even recognize water as such? Does it only see it as something that blocks movement?  What if it recognizes liquids but doesn't distinguish between water and magma?  Would Urist McOhgodmyflesh jump into a pool of magma to sooth his burning flesh?  Those are the burning questions.

Interesting point. One could test this with secluded "island" that has moat with ramps, and something on the island to dump, or other similar thing forcing target on island. Interests mostly include "does pathfinding get limited if:
a) there is any water
b)certain amount of water (more then 4/7 for example)
c)never
Does the possible swimming skill have effect?

Then repeat this test with magma moat for complete set of test data.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 298