Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162810 times)

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2160 on: September 15, 2011, 05:05:05 pm »

But at the same time that could be really hard to implement.  Does the pathing even recognize water as such? Does it only see it as something that blocks movement?  What if it recognizes liquids but doesn't distinguish between water and magma?  Would Urist McOhgodmyflesh jump into a pool of magma to sooth his burning flesh?  Those are the burning questions.

Interesting point. One could test this with secluded "island" that has moat with ramps, and something on the island to dump, or other similar thing forcing target on island. Interests mostly include "does pathfinding get limited if:
a) there is any water
b)certain amount of water (more then 4/7 for example)
c)never
Does the possible swimming skill have effect?

Then repeat this test with magma moat for complete set of test data.

If they can swim, they will path through the water, but will interrupt their job due to unstable terrain or somesuch as soon as they enter the water.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: September 16, 2011, 02:28:30 am »

Does any amount of water do, or does i require amount of water that makes them swim?
(Will they happily wade through 2/7 water for example?)
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: September 16, 2011, 11:28:30 am »

Does any amount of water do, or does i require amount of water that makes them swim?
(Will they happily wade through 2/7 water for example?)

I know that dwarves will cancel construction of walls that are submerged in more than 1/7 water.  This was my bain in a fortress with an aquifer in sand.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: September 16, 2011, 12:00:43 pm »

I don't think the "dwarves on fire" thing is late to the party because of some sort of technical issue.  It is likely just another thing that's been somewhere on a to-do-list that has never been gotten around to.  I do have to admit that it seems past due at this point though.  Being able to determine you are on fire and react in a sane way seems like a higher priority than necromancy, but yeah, every bit of coding takes time. 
where is up?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: September 16, 2011, 07:55:29 pm »

I don't think the "dwarves on fire" thing is late to the party because of some sort of technical issue.  It is likely just another thing that's been somewhere on a to-do-list that has never been gotten around to.  I do have to admit that it seems past due at this point though.  Being able to determine you are on fire and react in a sane way seems like a higher priority than necromancy, but yeah, every bit of coding takes time.

I'm pretty sure Toady did mention before, that stuff like that would require a rewrite of the dwarf AI and that he is putting that off until later. IIRC, it's because he is planning on adding something eventually that requires a total rewrite of the dwarf AI and it would be pointless to totally rewrite the AI twice. He mentions a similar idea with the siege AI. He said something along the lines of he could improve the siege AI now or wait until after he adds moving fortress components which will require a rewrite anyhow.

The idea is: Yes, there are things that could have been added already. But if you have to tear it down later and rebuild it again, was it worth it? In the end, he saves time by delaying a feature until other features that might require said feature to be implemented in a certain way are developed or implemented enough that he does not have to go back and change it later.

Blah blah blah, for some reason I don't feel like shutting up today...   :-X
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2165 on: September 16, 2011, 09:57:48 pm »

I suppose this is as good a spot as any for rabid praise, and I'll attempt brevity :|

Toady, I love you, sir. You are as majestic as a unicorn in a good biome :)

I just wanted to say that in this wild and wide world of games I check the df front page almost every single day just to know that df is growing. Wanted you to know that of all other available options and approaching games good old df is practically all I'm truly on the edge of my seat waiting on..

I'd gladly give up ever playing Diablo 3 to see df finished in a magical flash :O

I know that we are the real dwarves and after we're all dead that the next generation will be modding and expanding df :P Like migrants arriving :D

And then realizing that I'd prod you with a cattle prod just to get df done faster got me thinking about the pressure you're under, with all these people looking at you like you're the only cook in the middle of a famine :D To write you must read, and to create an awesome game you must game.. Just dont see how you ever get a minute to unwind and be lazy :( And of course I'd never prod anyone.. The carrot-and-stick approach doesn't leave the smell of burned hair in the air ;)

It is a large hat to wear, sir, and I'm glad as anything that it is not on my head :P If it must be a hat then I hope its a gardening hat, the ones with solar panels and battery packs that power the tiny built-in fan to keep your face nice and cool..

I definately plan on donating in the near future. Df is adamantine and there should be some kind of lava for enjoying it..

In one grammatically correct sentence: DF are the greatest.

Maybe I should have just posted that instead of all the cattle prod stuff :|

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: September 17, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »

Are severs regrown when regaining original form?

And will the healing behavior be controllable (via modding) later on, once wounds are saved?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: September 17, 2011, 11:26:14 pm »

Are severs regrown when regaining original form?

And will the healing behavior be controllable (via modding) later on, once wounds are saved?

If I remember correctly shifting forms as it is currently entirely heals the creature in question.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:01 am »

hm...but do the wounds reappear when you turn back into the shifted shape? can't recall if there's a word on that

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: September 18, 2011, 12:42:02 am »

hm...but do the wounds reappear when you turn back into the shifted shape? can't recall if there's a word on that

I believe it heals a creature to perfection everytime. For now...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2170 on: September 18, 2011, 12:48:14 am »

that seems a bit too benign... i guess we'll never lose dwarves to infection, from now on... and olin the lame will be walking again

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: September 18, 2011, 01:07:31 am »

that seems a bit too benign... i guess we'll never lose dwarves to infection, from now on... and olin the lame will be walking again

I hope Olin can survive until then, you know with severe bodily trauma... and I hope those dwarves don't die of infection before the transformation.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: September 18, 2011, 02:38:40 am »

So now, as an alternative to healthcare, we can have controlled infection camps and in-fortress castes of dwarves separated by whether or not they're werebeasts? Interesting. Who will use their werebeast dwarves as disposable creatures, the lowest class of society, and who will treat them as kings?
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: September 18, 2011, 03:43:52 am »

So now, as an alternative to healthcare, we can have controlled infection camps and in-fortress castes of dwarves separated by whether or not they're werebeasts? Interesting. Who will use their werebeast dwarves as disposable creatures, the lowest class of society, and who will treat them as kings?
I'd use them as redshirts. doing the cavern exploration, dangerous digging and frontline defense. I'd keep 2 wardogs on them at all times just in case i havent locked them up for the full moon.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: September 18, 2011, 04:06:39 am »

I'd use them as redshirts. doing the cavern exploration, dangerous digging and frontline defense. I'd keep 2 wardogs on them at all times just in case i havent locked them up for the full moon.

Ugh, the roleplaying potential for this kind of usage in a community fort or something similar is too much. Imagine two dwarves wandering into the cavern wilderness, prepared to devote their lives to their mountainhome but shunned by everyone else because they were the children of dwarves infected with a werebeast syndrome and treated like the dregs of society, unable even to enter the grand meeting hall that the other dwarves rave about for fear that they transform inside it. Even as they undertake the only line of work available to them - expendable scouts of the darkness - they warily watch each other, each fearing that the other will transform and, forgetting their friendship forged in adversity, kill him. The two trusted wardogs with them love them as dwarves and defend them against cavern beasts, having saved their lives on multiple occasions by acting as distractions or killing helmet snakes before they could inject their feared venom, but at the same time both dwarves are aware that the dogs they love will turn on them without pause if they turn into the monsters the fortress abhors and despises.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 143 144 [145] 146 147 ... 298