Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154166 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2175 on: September 18, 2011, 11:07:28 am »

So now, as an alternative to healthcare, we can have controlled infection camps and in-fortress castes of dwarves separated by whether or not they're werebeasts? Interesting. Who will use their werebeast dwarves as disposable creatures, the lowest class of society, and who will treat them as kings?

Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the unclean.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: September 18, 2011, 11:25:39 am »

that seems a bit too benign... i guess we'll never lose dwarves to infection, from now on... and olin the lame will be walking again

I hope Olin can survive until then, you know with severe bodily trauma... and I hope those dwarves don't die of infection before the transformation.

we'll have an indicator of the moon phases, so we can prepare beforehand and lockup our infected dwarves... maybe this isn't so bad, from a roleplaying perspective it does sound cool, but this kind of things usually become memetic cliques, oftet thought of as the only way of playing the game. i fear this will do to hospitals and surgeons what danger rooms did to proper routines

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 18, 2011, 11:33:22 am »

I intend to acquire an awesome type of were-virus, then carefully infect all my dwarfs with it.

Will legendary combat skills make for tougher werebeasts?
Soaplent green is goblins!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 18, 2011, 12:09:26 pm »

How exactly do you plan on injuring your dwarf during a werewolf attack without killing either dwarf? Especially if one dwarf is a cripple.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 18, 2011, 12:19:21 pm »

How exactly do you plan on injuring your dwarf during a werewolf attack without killing either dwarf? Especially if one dwarf is a cripple.

There are so many questions as to how to even make a Werewolf fort even viable without fudging things in your favor.

Also in mythology it wasn't uncommon for lycantropes to have regained their limbs even while in human form. (though one I saw the werewolf COULD regenerate his limbs, but if it was cut off he had to find it in order to use it)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 18, 2011, 12:27:44 pm »

I think were-things are naturally hard to kill, and with the other dwarf I plan to try things such as locked doors or floor hatches. (For example, I could make a room with a checkerboard of floor and one z level drops. Once a dwarf gets bitten, I have a lever pulled to open the hatches until one falls through but not the other.)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 18, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »

There will be a substantial loss of population before the fort is converted entirely to werebeasts, I imagine.

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 18, 2011, 03:39:39 pm »

So now, as an alternative to healthcare, we can have controlled infection camps and in-fortress castes of dwarves separated by whether or not they're werebeasts? Interesting. Who will use their werebeast dwarves as disposable creatures, the lowest class of society, and who will treat them as kings?

Burn the heretic, kill the mutant, purge the unclean.

You, sir, get my vote for mayor. Especially if your mandates have to do with your comment.

As for Werebeast Medical, I suspect that it won't prove viable in the majority of forts. While danger rooms can be constructed almost completely under player control, werebeast medical facilities require a random attack that results in an infection and not a death. The random chance factor seems a little too major for it to become commonplace, depending on how widespread and common werebeasts are in fortress mode.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2183 on: September 18, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »

Depending on how important the right material is to harm a werebeast you might be able to make a setup of traps that wounds and causes lots of pain but won't seriously harm the transformed dwarf. Then time you need to 'heal' someone lock the werebeast in the trap room until beat up a fair bit. The bruising/pain will make them fight much more poorly than normal so the patient will stand a better chance. Also the patient could equip a helmet, mail shirt, and breastplate before treatment so the wounds will be less likely to kill.

Having the treatment occur on a retracting bridge or lever operated hatches 1 level above cage traps would also let you end the fight quickly after infection without causing too much more damage.

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 18, 2011, 06:31:02 pm »

Wasn't there somebody trying to make chickens lay bees? Similar concepts may apply, for to make Bee Breath.
I was that person, and I DID eventually get it working! If it becomes possible to specify what type of item you want shot, then, yes, it will be possible to have Bee Breath.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 18, 2011, 06:34:28 pm »

As for Werebeast Medical, I suspect that it won't prove viable in the majority of forts. While danger rooms can be constructed almost completely under player control, werebeast medical facilities require a random attack that results in an infection and not a death. The random chance factor seems a little too major for it to become commonplace, depending on how widespread and common werebeasts are in fortress mode.
It would hardly be an exact science, but a topside dormitory populated by cripples would probably see decent results.
Of course, if the cripple can't move himself there, that could cause problems. You might want to put your entire infirmary topside.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 19, 2011, 08:40:42 am »

We can rebuild him...we have the therianthropy.

Sorry.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 19, 2011, 11:52:43 pm »

A thought occurs:
How will supply and demand effect / not effect created/displayed wealth?

kasan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 20, 2011, 12:44:57 am »

dumb question:

If there a post/link/article/single place where it lists what's been confirmed/expected or likely to be in the next release to us?

I keep seeing in various threads comments eluding to features that are slated to be in the next release but I'm having a damnable time checking to see whats coming out in the build vs whats coming out in much later builds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 20, 2011, 01:00:21 am »

A thought occurs:
How will supply and demand effect / not effect created/displayed wealth?

This will be answered during release six.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 144 145 [146] 147 148 ... 298