Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160763 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2220 on: September 22, 2011, 06:07:30 am »

I wouldn't mind if the night creatures still not implemented get postponed for a later release, to be honest.

Yep.

It seems like they can be added pretty much anytime so I would not mind them to be delayed and added to some other later release that would otherwise lack new enemies...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: September 22, 2011, 09:30:12 am »

...to be honest, when I heard books, I was thinking secrets of the living dead in an abstracted physical form, not actual written content from what the author knows  :o that is impressive.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: September 22, 2011, 10:10:41 am »

Patience people, please, I don't like hearing Toady being encouraged to dump features just so a release can come a few days earlier.

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: September 22, 2011, 10:11:06 am »

Or at very least, a good heavy book is also a good weapon.
Two words.
Toilet paper.
I am a Goober.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: September 22, 2011, 11:33:24 am »

Cool, books are going in! As usual, I'm going to have to redo a bunch of the work I just did on my mod. :P

This update should be awesome.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: September 22, 2011, 02:23:55 pm »

Patience people, please, I don't like hearing Toady being encouraged to dump features just so a release can come a few days earlier.

Do you suggest then that we wait for DF 1.0, I suppose?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 03:27:52 pm by thvaz »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: September 22, 2011, 02:38:23 pm »

Cool, books are going in! As usual, I'm going to have to redo a bunch of the work I just did on my mod. :P

This update should be awesome.

I am going to have to start to make suggestions about allowing parts to be given individual graphics for the sake of tilesets.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: September 22, 2011, 06:15:14 pm »

Haha, exactly my thoughts too; just didn't want to be a dick pointing it out.

Whoops.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: September 22, 2011, 06:17:22 pm »

Whoops.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: September 22, 2011, 07:10:12 pm »

Whoops.

Are you suggesting we shouldn't?

I suggest pie.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dienes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: September 22, 2011, 09:18:38 pm »

Thanks Toady. Its really awesome to have some back and forth with you and what's going on with the game. I love seeing the devlog too even when its just general 'working on X today' and not zombies getting suspicious and chasing off the necromancer that raised them.

I'd love to see constructed night creatures and the horrors players could put together but there is already a ton in this version so I guess I will be happy either way.

For the long term do you have any idea what kind of role writing will play in dwarf mode? Like writing books about whatever the dwarf wants like engravings (books about books about cheese) or where dwarves actually record information that gets used for something later on?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: September 22, 2011, 09:58:43 pm »

Thanks Toady. Its really awesome to have some back and forth with you and what's going on with the game. I love seeing the devlog too even when its just general 'working on X today' and not zombies getting suspicious and chasing off the necromancer that raised them.

I'd love to see constructed night creatures and the horrors players could put together but there is already a ton in this version so I guess I will be happy either way.

For the long term do you have any idea what kind of role writing will play in dwarf mode? Like writing books about whatever the dwarf wants like engravings (books about books about cheese) or where dwarves actually record information that gets used for something later on?

I imagine at the very least the book keeper will have a record of some kind. It would be useful for adventurers to look up info about stuff from the fort. For people who play with Legends Mode empty the book keeper's books could easily provide you with the arrival of dwarves, masterpiece, and artifact events. As for use in the fortress, I imagine maps, info on other settlements, and info on monsters could come in handy once the army arc is in place. There is potential for a lot of different things and more.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: September 22, 2011, 10:04:57 pm »

Do current interactions that are not forced have a chance of being done by the creature, will always be done by the creature, or something else entirely? For example, will a necromancer with an interaction fire breath choose between raising dead or breathing fire?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: September 23, 2011, 05:58:19 am »

No, you suppose incorrectly. I'm just asking for patience. I could have requested some perspective, too, but that would be over-reaching.

You can relax. If toady adds books without first notifying the playerbase and if he still intends to add other features he's already flagged, it doesn't mean we won't have another release before the game is finished. Neither does it mean we shouldn't support him. Support is a good motivational tool.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: September 23, 2011, 06:47:46 am »

No, you suppose incorrectly. I'm just asking for patience. I could have requested some perspective, too, but that would be over-reaching.

You can relax. If toady adds books without first notifying the playerbase and if he still intends to add other features he's already flagged, it doesn't mean we won't have another release before the game is finished. Neither does it mean we shouldn't support him. Support is a good motivational tool.

You can't ask for perspective if you didn't have none when you thought I was asking for Toady to dump features. I was simply saying I would prefer he left those features for future releases.
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 298