Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154449 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2235 on: September 23, 2011, 08:32:23 am »

It is sort of the thing Thvaz, those features would have to go in eventually, and the fewer releases the faster development goes.

That is how I veiw many things Toady adds to the game or wants to.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: September 23, 2011, 08:34:11 am »

Just have a little faith in Toady. The game is great as it currently is, so his development schedule seems to work.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: September 23, 2011, 09:03:20 am »

I have faith in Toady, but even he admits he sidetracks a lot. Longer development cycles has been proven very hurtful to the game - just look at 31.01.

He set himself the plans for shorter development cycles with bugfixes releases in-between, and it was a really good plan - it would appease the "moar bugfix" masses and would still bring the game forward. It is a pity he can't attain to his own plans. The last release was almost(more?) than six months ago.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: September 23, 2011, 09:07:01 am »

I have faith in Toady, but even he admits he sidetracks a lot. Longer development cycles has been proven very hurtful to the game - just look at 31.01.

He set himself the plans for shorter development cycles with bugfixes releases in-between, and it was a really good plan - it would appease the "moar bugfix" masses and would still bring the game forward. It is a pity he can't attain to his own plans. The last release was almost(more?) than six months ago.

Ohh, I thought it was longer. Like nearly a year at this point.

Six months isn't so bad.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: September 23, 2011, 09:37:30 am »

31.25 was released on march 28 (pretty much a year after 31.01). So we're closing in on six months. That is a tad long for a short-term release as it was supposed to be, and people are visibly getting restless. Much as I'd think the remaining night creatures wouldn't add all that more time to the release, I can understand why people would rather that they be postponed (which might simply mean postponed to release 2).
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: September 23, 2011, 09:41:19 am »

31.25 was released on march 28 (pretty much a year after 31.01). So we're closing in on six months. That is a tad long for a short-term release as it was supposed to be, and people are visibly getting restless. Much as I'd think the remaining night creatures wouldn't add all that more time to the release, I can understand why people would rather that they be postponed (which might simply mean postponed to release 2).

They sort of want things postponed to a nebulous period of time that is likely never to come... for MOST people (not all)

Which is why I have a hard time taking "stop working on that" suggestions seriously. They arn't done with the honest intent that they should be worked on again at another time.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: September 23, 2011, 10:02:57 am »

It's not like they can control when Toady picks that stuff back up if he decides to postpone it. Though there is precedent that such stuff gets ever more sidelined, the different night creature types were actually delayed once already and yet came back faster than expected.

Now, I would prefer that the other night creatures do go in - a new complete system with the kinks that Toady could find being worked out is preferable to a new rushed incomplete system that then floods the bug tracker (in triplicate, probably) with stuff that Toady is aware of but didn't get to fix because he "had to" release it - and the other night creatures could well help with that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: September 23, 2011, 11:57:41 am »

They sort of want things postponed to a nebulous period of time that is likely never to come... for MOST people (not all)

Which is why I have a hard time taking "stop working on that" suggestions seriously. They arn't done with the honest intent that they should be worked on again at another time.

This is not true. I think the stalkers will be one of the most interesting night creatures - it is just that I prefer them to be worked later and well than now and rushed.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 02:21:14 pm by thvaz »

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: September 23, 2011, 02:18:27 pm »

Yeah, but his sidetrack here came about because while the new cities are interesting and cool he wanted to add stuff to do in them as well. The catacombs would be cool but ultimately pretty boring without all the other stuff he added. Granted this entire release wouldn't have even had fortress mode improvements if it wasn't for the side track. Thanks to interactions there's a good deal for everybody to have fun with.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: September 23, 2011, 02:25:31 pm »

This is not true. I think the stalkers will be one of the most interesting night creatures - it is just that I prefer them to be worked later and well than now and rushed

Not true in all cases. Though the best test is to ask the person "When".

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: September 23, 2011, 06:22:38 pm »

I think that at this point, the last of the night creatures should probably go in, because otherwise they would get heaped on the "later" pile, which is quite a large pile right now.  Complete systems are good. 

On the other hand, it's pretty clear that the city maps and such (things planned for this release) are an independent set of things from the night creatures.  It would have been completely possible (and potentially easier for Toady) for the caravan arc release 1 stuff to get finished, then work on "release 1.5" for the night creatures.  I'm excited about the night creatures, but right now it just feels like I'm missing out on cool city goodies for no real reason. 

I don't think an argument can really be made that separating this into two releases would have been a bad thing (though I suppose this is a hindsight thing).
where is up?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: September 23, 2011, 06:59:59 pm »

There is only one arguement, in that the more releases the longer it takes.

Though since these are two LONG releases... I guess that isn't so much. though it can stop progress for even a month.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: September 23, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »

I think we're not getting at the most important part. Toady, despit all his awesomeness, is a human like everyone else. He decides to do things this way for his own reasons, and they are ineffable reasons.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: September 23, 2011, 07:30:41 pm »

I think we're not getting at the most important part. Toady, despit all his awesomeness, is a human like everyone else. He decides to do things this way for his own reasons, and they are ineffable reasons.

Ohh yeah the Toady Factor.

Yeah when dealing with an artist you have to prepare for their whims.

Mountain-King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: September 23, 2011, 09:13:42 pm »

i dunno when i'm working on a thing outside input helps a lot

in the end, it's Toady's decision, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't express their views

personally, i'd prefer if the other night creatures were left for a later release. this release seems more than complete even without them, and it has dragged on for a while. i don't mind that much either way, though.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 298