Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161657 times)

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2011, 01:56:06 pm »

when weather becomes more implemented will there be creatures that affect the weather? such as a lightning titan that brings rain and causes random lighting strikes leading to Fun and fires?

you once mentioned in a df talk about artefacts playing larger roles such as a hat that sucks the world into a fire realm, considering that we already get named weapons, is it possible that you might include a way of the weapon getting "enchanted/cursed" from over use?
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:24 pm »

it's harder to enjoy new features when some of the main draws of 0.31 in general (like the new body/combat/butchering systems) still need work and have problems both relatively small and relatively fundamental

What's an example of a relatively fundamental problem with bodies (materials?), combat, or butchering? I know combat had some serious issues initially, but I thought those had been pretty well solved at this point.

I think it's undeniable that the military screens are difficult to use in the sense that it's just a really flexible and complex system, so there's a steep learning curve to mastering it all.

OTOH, it's pretty painless to create a squad of soldiers who arm and armor themselves with whatever's at hand; give them a place to train that they'll start using on their own; and then send them off to kill things when needed. From there you can wade into the other various features at whatever pace you want.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2011, 03:08:15 pm »

G-Flex clearly knows that. He knows Toady spent over a month fixing a hundred issues with the game. 31.25 is probably the most stable and bug-free DF version ever. It has issues? It clearly does. And Toady knows it.

However, what G-Flex clearly doesn't understand, is that as Toady stated many times he must have fun with his project. This is what moves the project forward - our donated money only speeds the process, by giving Toady the means to work only on DF. And like you said, bug-fixing is not fun. It is necessary, and Toady continues to fix bugs.

DF isn't a standard software project. It is not funded by a company. It is not written by a team. It has its very specific needs to be succesful - and these needs are still fulfilled after almost five years of public release.

Except building DF is a job, no matter how you cut it.

He makes his living making this game. 

When there are serious flaws with this game, even if they aren't fun to fix, they stand in the way of his business model generating the money he needs to make a living without actually going out and getting another job.  If that means that Toady sometimes has to do things he doesn't like at his job in between doing things he really does like at his job, then so be it.

That doesn't make Toady the slave of the donators, but it does mean that he has more responsibility to actually make a playable game than you seem to be realizing.

To be successful means that the game needs to be playable all the way through development, so that donations throughout the development process can keep coming in.  The more that players are put off by obtuse interfaces or serious bugs, the less players DF will have, and the smaller its donation base will become. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2011, 03:21:10 pm »

it's harder to enjoy new features when some of the main draws of 0.31 in general (like the new body/combat/butchering systems) still need work and have problems both relatively small and relatively fundamental

What's an example of a relatively fundamental problem with bodies (materials?), combat, or butchering? I know combat had some serious issues initially, but I thought those had been pretty well solved at this point.

For reference, the two mantis reports I've written up:
This one is partly responsible for the "acid rain" fat-melting bug: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2676
This one is just strange and possibly indicative of greater problems: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=3357

Creatures also don't properly respond to high heat in general (heating a dwarf's brain up to much higher than operational temperature doesn't kill or wound him at all; I only know this because I've seen actual burn wounds on brains in arena mode, albeit very rarely), tissue distribution in certain body parts is rather odd, there are still likely some lingering issues with what does/doesn't cause creatures to die properly (bleeding, effects of fractures, etc.), ribs follow some kind of bizarre electron-cloud model that doesn't work well and results in them hardly ever protecting the organs inside (this is likely because part positioning isn't implemented yet, so quite forgivable although it messes things up in practice a great deal; numbers could at least be tweaked), and the only time blunt objects seem to kill anything is when the skull is smashed through into the brain (which seems astonishingly common sometimes, even just from punching someone).

Tissue material properties in general, aside from fat, could also use some tweaking in some places. For instance, I have to wonder what values of "chitin" Toady used for the bug-type creatures, as it seems really easy to break through (one reason I'm curious is because in the real world, "chitin" as a pure material is very soft and pliable and differs greatly from the reinforced type found in something like a hard exoskeleton), and the heat/cold damage and melting points for several tissues could use adjusting. Also, weird little things like chicken skin being the same as anybody else's and being used for "chicken leather" (horse and chicken and human and elephant skin differ in more than just thickness, surely? But that's all debatable).

I also have a sneaking suspicion that all combat collisions (as in things-hitting-things, including weapon attacks) are treated as if they have a total momentum of zero at the end. To better explain: When you punch someone in the head in real life, the head (and to some extent the rest of the body) is pushed back, making the blow less severe. Compare this to someone's head being held entirely still (against a wall, by someone else, via invisible magicks, whatever) and punched; there's a big difference. My suspicion is that DF treats attacks more like the latter scenario than the former, turning every kick into a curbstomp. This would explain certain things, like why it's so easy to break certain body parts.

If you look on the bug tracker, you'll also find a lot of other oddities that make it clear things aren't what they should, such as "Elephant killed by three hoary marmots - Issue with pain", "Blunt weapons extremely ineffective, extended single combat with groundhog", and "BP_RELATION around upperbody have no effect". I could give plenty more examples, but it's easy enough if you just filter the report view by category.

There are also plenty of other oddities, tweaks, and minor problems that people on the forums have addressed in other threads, whether about bleeding or tissues or something else.

I think it's undeniable that the military screens are difficult to use in the sense that it's just a really flexible and complex system, so there's a steep learning curve to mastering it all.

In my experience, the problem is also that it doesn't provide enough feedback. If, for example, your dwarves aren't training when you want them to, you have no way of knowing what you did wrong, if anything (there are likely outstanding bugs). I think a little bit of work in that area could go a long way, if it hasn't been done already.

Anyway, I'm aware that bugfixing is tedious and kind of awful to do, but it's easier (and therefore more fun, or at least less not-fun) to fix the problems with a system before you start implementing other systems. I'd prefer to see more of a development cycle where a new set of features is introduced, then that set of features is polished as much as is feasible (obviously some placeholder junk is going to remain in a project like this at certain stages, and that's mostly fine), then rinse and repeat. I don't know why that isn't done, to be honest, except maybe that it's harder to get donations rolling in without consistent feature updates, but that feels both overly cynical and unrealistic.

I guess this has become a bit of a derail, and I apologize for that, but if I'm making a big deal out of it, it's because this issue is the one major thing about development that I've seen draw serious long-term fans away from the project.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2011, 04:11:33 pm »

Except building DF is a job, no matter how you cut it.

He makes his living making this game. 

When there are serious flaws with this game, even if they aren't fun to fix, they stand in the way of his business model generating the money he needs to make a living without actually going out and getting another job.  If that means that Toady sometimes has to do things he doesn't like at his job in between doing things he really does like at his job, then so be it.

That doesn't make Toady the slave of the donators, but it does mean that he has more responsibility to actually make a playable game than you seem to be realizing.

To be successful means that the game needs to be playable all the way through development, so that donations throughout the development process can keep coming in.  The more that players are put off by obtuse interfaces or serious bugs, the less players DF will have, and the smaller its donation base will become.

Programming DF is a job but Toady stated elsewhere that if the donation fountain dries up he will return to his academic job and will continue to work on DF on his free time. This isn't the worst case scenario: the worst case scenario is the one where he gets fed up with DF, regardless of donation ammount, and stop developing it completely. My point is not that he should only add new content, but that it should not be expected to have a completely bug-free game when the game is still in full development.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php

From February 16 to March 28 he fixed 160 issues. He spent over a month only fixing bugs. Like I said,

The interface problem I agree it should be tackled sooner than later.

The current development problem however is looking the most promising since Toady started the public releases. A relatively short development followed by fixing new bugs brought by the new features and then fixing old bugs. I thought everyone was happy with it.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2011, 04:55:56 pm »

I've never really understood why people don't like the interface. I like it.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LeeDub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2011, 05:02:02 pm »

I'm with the "bored with fortress mode" camp myself. However, since DF is constantly expanding, I see myself returning to it. Especially after interface rewrite, whenever that comes. And the army arc etc to get new stuff to do after playing becomes managable. :D

[All this talk of Toady getting bored and leaving DF development has made me think we'd lose something amazing, for all the complaining. Pity I only have $4 left on my Paypal. Oh well, it's a beer. That's gotta be motivating, right? ;)]

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2011, 05:05:19 pm »

I think Fortress Mode will get less and less boring as more goals become apparent/possible within it. In other words, once we can have an actual significant role in the world (and vice-versa, the world interacts significantly with us), things will be much better.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2011, 05:21:15 pm »

people don't like the interface because:
A)thay dont read the wiki
B)thay try and uses it when under attack or in a rush.
C)get stuck over scheduling,  burrows, alerts or Barracks you can get armed troops to kill stuff with out them.

take you time to read the wiki,and tinker with stuff.
but for the love of amok read this
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2011, 05:28:07 pm »

people don't like the interface because:
A)thay dont read the wiki
B)thay try and uses it when under attack or in a rush.
C)get stuck over scheduling,  burrows, alerts or Barracks you can get armed troops to kill stuff with out them.

take you time to read the wiki,and tinker with stuff.
but for the love of amok read this

People shouldn't have to read a wiki to understand a interface. I like the interface but I've been playing DF for years. It's almost natural now. Most newcomers won't think the same, however.

Working on interface before all the features are in place isn't ideal, but I think Toady should at least work on its consistence. At least we would be spared of the constant complaints :P
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 05:40:17 pm by thvaz »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2011, 05:33:21 pm »

Only reason I don't play fortress mode anymore is because I can't "retire" a fortress, once that's in I'll probably play more.

*That and I like making good looking forts which is hard to do with all these gosh dern ores in the way.*
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2011, 06:06:52 pm »

I've never really understood why people don't like the interface. I like it.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat. It's mostly very efficient.
People shouldn't have to read a wiki to understand a interface.
This is a subjective opinion. I personally disagree, as I feel it is not possible for huge in-depth experience to be conveyed easily without some outside explanation. Generic shooter no. 34372 shouldn't need a wiki to learn, because the only button that matters is the trigger. As games get deeper than that, they by necessity become more complex. In the old days, games often shipped with manuals as long as novels. In the modern era we have wikis. For games that are complicated, it is possible to do without these resources, but you will be confused and have to pick things up as you go along, and doing so will mean there are vast portions of the game that you don't immediately understand. That's how anything complicated works, and a complicated game is no exception.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2011, 06:12:54 pm »

I think Fortress Mode will get less and less boring as more goals become apparent/possible within it. In other words, once we can have an actual significant role in the world (and vice-versa, the world interacts significantly with us), things will be much better.

Well, it's sort of the crux of my giant monologue on farming, and my other thread on making more complex social pressures inside the fortress that what the Fortress mode really needs is to have its maintenance become less of a task of making sure that micromanaged workshop orders stay in place, and more a task of automated systems whose inputs and outputs must be balanced, at least in the large scale.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2011, 06:45:22 pm »

I like Toady's current plan of having bug fixes in between big feature releases. It keeps things interesting while maintaining a steady rate of bugfixes to keep the new ones at bay and to eventually fix the main older bugs.

As far as adventure mode goes, I wouldn't mind adventure mode overlapping a bit with the other modes while not outright replacing them. Playing the role of a Dwarven mayor would be great, but it'd be nice to have the option of playing from the perspective of the "magic all-seeing overseer" as well. The same with legends mode: you could choose between reading recorded history and dixcovering new history, or just browsing through the entire history of the world at will.

However, it would definitely be neat if your adventurer could start his own civilization and maybe even join up with an existing fortress as a migrant. It'd be interesting to see life at a fortress from a Dwarf's perspective (especially if you end up at a Boatmurder-y fortress!).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 16, 2011, 06:51:23 pm »

I like Toady's current plan of having bug fixes in between big feature releases. It keeps things interesting while maintaining a steady rate of bugfixes to keep the new ones at bay and to eventually fix the main older bugs.

I would agree, but the current state of affairs is one where each feature set implemented adds on to the pile of pre-existing problems, which are subsequently put on the back burner in favor of more features. It's not a sustainable condition unless Toady is planning on some massive catch-up work in the near future, and even then, I consider that less viable than simply making sure current features are up to speed before new ones are implemented, where plausible.

Well, it's sort of the crux of my giant monologue on farming, and my other thread on making more complex social pressures inside the fortress that what the Fortress mode really needs is to have its maintenance become less of a task of making sure that micromanaged workshop orders stay in place, and more a task of automated systems whose inputs and outputs must be balanced, at least in the large scale.

I think we both have valid points here. On one hand, managing a fortress should be a little more interesting in the ways you're saying and then some (I'd love to see regional features, dwarven personalities, etc. come into play a lot more), and on the other hand, fortresses need to play a significant role in the life of the outside world and vice-versa. Of course, all that is coming as far as I know, so I don't consider it terribly worrisome.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 298