Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154427 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2280 on: September 26, 2011, 06:53:18 pm »

Would the ability to state your intent for a retired character use the same framework as the hopes and dreams of the personality rewrite?

If you mean the storage aspect of that ability, that sounds reasonable, but since Toady isn't implementing either system yet, there's little certainty to be had.  Were you anticipating specific advantages/pitfalls aside from the obvious similarities?

The input aspect will probably look more like the proposed systems for adventurer backstories, like in Liberal Crime Squad etc.
I dunno, I suppose I'm just hoping for insight into how the two might interact.

For input, that was my assumption as well.

Also it IS a bad thing. It means you asked a bad question and should be ashamed. ASHAMED!
I disagree. The average person really can't be expected to have an encyclopedic knowledge of everything Toady's ever said. That Footkerchief does and is able to help us out is a significant benefit to the community and to Toady, but it's a proficiency that few have the memory or time to acquire.

On that note, thank you Footkerchief!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: September 27, 2011, 10:48:51 am »

How many pages of notes are we away from the release?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: September 27, 2011, 11:41:23 am »

Six 1/2 pages of miscellaneous stuff, 1 page each for the new night creatures (animated dead, necromancers, mummies, werewolves, vampires) makes 11 1/2 pages. The devlogs seem to make the animated dead and the necromancers to use the same page, so that goes down to 10 1/2 pages. Werewolves and necromancers are mostly done, so remaining should be 8 1/2 to 9 pages.

Of course, the pages of notes aren't the only "obstacles" to the release.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: September 27, 2011, 02:44:23 pm »

Also, a "page" in this sense could easily just mean "one .txt file" rather than any specific amount.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: September 27, 2011, 06:12:41 pm »

How similar, overall, is the entity-running system going to be to Liberal Crime Squad?

I mostly ask because the interface in it is pretty much rock solid >_>

Senty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: September 27, 2011, 09:17:16 pm »

Are decorations solely images (innately understood to be of specific historical figures and events) or are they representational images along with words/names that can be read?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: September 27, 2011, 09:54:40 pm »

Are decorations solely images (innately understood to be of specific historical figures and events) or are they representational images along with words/names that can be read?

I don't understand the distinction you're drawing between the two.  Images fall into several distinct categories: historical/gameplay events, civilization emblems, illustrations of personality traits (upset dwarves surrounded by vermin, etc), and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: September 27, 2011, 10:13:38 pm »

He means, would an image of, say, George Washington, look like this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
or like this:
?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: September 28, 2011, 08:38:43 am »

He means, would an image of, say, George Washington, look like this:
or like this:
?

Can't....stop.....laughing....
DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: September 28, 2011, 02:15:42 pm »

i think you can turn off the "innately understood" part of engravings somewhere in worldgen, so i'd say it's the first case

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: September 28, 2011, 04:44:11 pm »

Will books be found in bookcases, on tables, or just lying around on the floors of towers?

If we have a fort which contains one of these secret slabs or books, say by having an adventurer drop it in a location of our choice and then embarking over it, will it be treated as an artifact?

Since interactions can now target multiple units (as of the devblog on 9/10/2011), will this functionality be added to weapons as well?

On estimates as to when the release is coming out, I would give between today and a month from now. It seems like issues are being sorted out quite quickly, and it may just be so mundane that it doesn't go in the devblog.

I suspect in a potential sidetrack libraries may be going in as part of the city update.

Bugs are probably going to be of the more minor kind, like the game crashing when you try to produce a book in a modded reaction. As a modder you're going to !!RAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!  >:( >:( >:( about this but it won't be that serious or take away any of the functionality not there under 0.31.25. Toady said there will be a massive bugfix cycle for a few weeks afterwards and then it will be onto Release 2.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: September 28, 2011, 04:57:08 pm »

Bugs are probably going to be of the more minor kind,
Lol. Wanna bet?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: September 28, 2011, 04:58:19 pm »

If we have a fort which contains one of these secret slabs or books, say by having an adventurer drop it in a location of our choice and then embarking over it, will it be treated as an artifact?

I'm 99% sure the answer is no.  The overlap between books and artifacts is pretty small, and one of the distinguishing features of the current artifacts is that they're only created in player fortresses.

Since interactions can now target multiple units (as of the devblog on 9/10/2011), will this functionality be added to weapons as well?

Nope.  Interactions will have many flexibilities that weapons don't yet, and the targeting systems aren't unified.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: September 28, 2011, 06:24:04 pm »

i think you can turn off the "innately understood" part of engravings somewhere in worldgen, so i'd say it's the first case
It's an init option.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: September 28, 2011, 06:43:36 pm »

Couple of questions about various things:

How extensive are you planning on making magic be? Will it simply be useful in combat or for necromancing up minions? Or will you be able to do more complex things, like enchanting objects or using spells that affect other people's actions?

Following up on the bit about other people...

Are interactions between NPCs ever going to happen? By this I mean, will NPCs ever change how they act based on how you have acted to them and people they like/dislike? And will they perform mundane actions related to their jobs as opposed to lounging around for all eternity?

And by eternity, I mean until a player gets bored of killing Cloisterlark the Brilliant Spoon of Wigs or whatever and decides to go on a mad rampage through town.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 298