Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1163043 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2295 on: September 28, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

i think you can turn off the "innately understood" part of engravings somewhere in worldgen, so i'd say it's the first case
It's an init option.

ah, yes, the
If you'd prefer to leave the history behind every engraving for your adventurers to discover, then set this to NO.

[SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:YES]
in d_init.txt

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 29, 2011, 01:27:55 pm »

Ok heres one from me: Do you intend to, any time soon, ad and actual world goal mechanism. By that I mean, will the worldgen also make give the world a specific reason or something that it has to do. For instance- Before time There was a spirit that rebelled against the rest of the spirits and it sought to destroy the world that they had all made(Thats a sort of bad vs good) or something like three dudes who made the world now at war with each other or maybe even nothing at all. What are your thoughts on that?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 29, 2011, 01:40:58 pm »

Couple of questions about various things:

How extensive are you planning on making magic be? Will it simply be useful in combat or for necromancing up minions? Or will you be able to do more complex things, like enchanting objects or using spells that affect other people's actions?
Although we don't know any specifics on magic yet, we do know it will go substantially beyond that. After all, if magic was just another weapon, what point would there be in implementing it?

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2298 on: September 29, 2011, 02:46:18 pm »

Couple of questions about various things:

How extensive are you planning on making magic be? Will it simply be useful in combat or for necromancing up minions? Or will you be able to do more complex things, like enchanting objects or using spells that affect other people's actions?
Although we don't know any specifics on magic yet, we do know it will go substantially beyond that. After all, if magic was just another weapon, what point would there be in implementing it?

Because pulp fantasy novels are full of fireball throwning and magic missile firing mages and wizzards?

And frankly, squad of dwarven druids shapeshifting to elephants to stop siege sounds as awesome as dwarves summoning weaponized clowns.

Jheral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: September 29, 2011, 05:29:38 pm »

See, this is where euphemisms become unwieldy - actual weaponized clowns would be fun to watch; weaponized "clowns" would just be gaming the system. ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: September 29, 2011, 09:18:56 pm »

Goodness a question too tempting not to ask

*You know what... nevermind... I just don't care*

It sometimes bugged me when I saw a world where pure scathing evil was not only real but in your face. While genuinly good beings, at least from a human perspective, either don't exist or are so on the side that they might as well not exist. Dwarf Fortress has the evil the genuin scathing evil... but even "Good" is seething with hatred for all things living.

Yes I am aware that Toady has talked a bit about Blessings...

Edit: Deleted question
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 09:51:12 pm by Neonivek »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 29, 2011, 09:30:19 pm »

Are interactions between NPCs ever going to happen? By this I mean, will NPCs ever change how they act based on how you have acted to them and people they like/dislike? And will they perform mundane actions related to their jobs as opposed to lounging around for all eternity?

And by eternity, I mean until a player gets bored of killing Cloisterlark the Brilliant Spoon of Wigs or whatever and decides to go on a mad rampage through town.
The short answer is yes. And it happens to a small degree already. We do have the start of a reputation like system in now.

Release 8 will see a personality and need rewrite. This is preparation for the army for more dynamic player vs. npc interaction, and npc vs. npc interaction. This combined with various dev will lead to more dynamic NPC interactions. On the Dev Page, we have Hunting/Tracking Animals, that'll be used for NPC to hunt and track players. Then there the Adventure Role, such as the Hero, and Villain. There more Reputation stuff that going in on the dev page.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 30, 2011, 01:03:27 am »

Way to make us all curious.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: September 30, 2011, 03:10:08 am »

He wanted to know if the 'Good' regions and deities and such would have their own 'curses', and whether they would be 'Vicious Blessings' or 'Benevolent Curses'.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 30, 2011, 06:48:59 am »

It sometimes bugged me when I saw a world where pure scathing evil was not only real but in your face. While genuinly good beings, at least from a human perspective, either don't exist or are so on the side that they might as well not exist. Dwarf Fortress has the evil the genuin scathing evil... but even "Good" is seething with hatred for all things living.
That's called realism. You only mind it because you were after escapism.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 30, 2011, 07:27:33 am »

yeah, undead rising, the boogeymen haunting the nights, forgotten beasts and ancient titants ravaging the landscape, that's realistically evil

He wanted to know if the 'Good' regions and deities and such would have their own 'curses', and whether they would be 'Vicious Blessings' or 'Benevolent Curses'.

i'm guessing toady's answer would be something along the lines, "we want that eventually, we're not thinking about it now". i'm guessing neonivek guessed the same. it's a question much more suited for a dftalk, and i think it's been talked, though probably not in depth enough to satiate everyone's curiosity

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 30, 2011, 08:41:25 am »

Pretty much Askot.

I was mostly asking about how the flip side of Curses and cursed lands would even function given they arn't allowed the same libertise as curses.

Also "Pure scathing evil" is escapism as well. It creates a world where people's motives are no longer complex but instead single focused into doing harm for harm... In otherwords it creates a world where "The bad guys are obvious" and that "There is nothing wrong with killing them because they are pure evil".

It is just odd that both great evil and great good are both antagonistic towards the living

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 30, 2011, 01:19:47 pm »

That's called realism. You only mind it because you were after escapism.
It's only realistic to an extreme cynic.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 30, 2011, 04:53:59 pm »

Not necessarily. It's possible that the pure evil is rare, and there is a whole lot of the mostly but not entirely good stuff.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 30, 2011, 06:02:40 pm »

Not necessarily. It's possible that the pure evil is rare, and there is a whole lot of the mostly but not entirely good stuff.

Pure evil cannot exist as it represents a living logical fallacy.

It can only exist in fantasy because evil itself is a living breathing force all on its own.
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 298