Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1163218 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2370 on: October 04, 2011, 04:43:41 am »

quoting wikipedia
The term Martial Arts today has become heavily associated with the fighting arts of eastern Asia, but was originally used in regard to the combat systems of Europe as early as the 1550s and an English fencing manual of 1639 used it in reference specifically to the "Science and Art" of swordplay. The term is ultimately derived from Latin, martial arts being the "Arts of Mars," the Roman god of war.[1]
and an example of a european martial arts manual
-------------------
we're discussing martial arts manuals, and from what i get, euxor either has a problem with eastern martial arts considering them useless in a fight, or has a problem with cheap manuals on eastern martial arts.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: October 04, 2011, 06:11:45 am »

I think Euxor believes that you can't learn martial arts through a manual.

and while there is some truth to what he says, afterall an advanced calculous manual is useless for someone without any calculous, there have been people who have taught themselves successful martial arts through manuals.

Some martial arts manuals include actually very specific training regiments and stances.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: October 04, 2011, 08:00:23 am »

well, that can be said for any practical knowledge being acquired from theoretical manuals, not only martial arts.
That could be modelled in game too, one could acquire theoretical knowledge of a skill and it would be represented in game similarly to rusted skills(replacing the "(rusted)" with "(theoretical)", or something along those lines), and then with practice he could master that knowledge much faster than what he would by simple practice alone

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: October 04, 2011, 09:48:58 am »

I sort of missed the boat to ask my question when the new key binding changes were being added, but I'll ask it amid the new changes instead.

Now that spacebar no longer works as a menu escape as well as unpause, is there any way for the auto-pause in menus (such as designation and construction) to be disabled? I would really like to be able to designate and dig at the same time.

I know the OP says to avoid bringing in the suggestion forum (for which I am sorry that I didn't ask this question when it was current) but there is a suggestion topic and most people think it's a good idea for a pace change.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:07 am »

i can't quote him or anything, but i think toady stated already that he had that intention, and there were steps made in that direction with the new military interface

thedrelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: October 04, 2011, 11:45:18 am »

well, that can be said for any practical knowledge being acquired from theoretical manuals, not only martial arts.
That could be modelled in game too, one could acquire theoretical knowledge of a skill and it would be represented in game similarly to rusted skills(replacing the "(rusted)" with "(theoretical)", or something along those lines), and then with practice he could master that knowledge much faster than what he would by simple practice alone

What we need is "Necromancy for Dummies".
*scribble scribble*

Yes?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: October 04, 2011, 11:49:04 am »

There will be.

It will be written by  guy that was alive since year 1

it will have his entire life story.

each day will be described in detail.

50 pages will be "Watched the trees today. They did not eat me."

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: October 06, 2011, 11:31:47 am »

I think Euxor believes that you can't learn martial arts through a manual.

and while there is some truth to what he says, afterall an advanced calculous manual is useless for someone without any calculous, there have been people who have taught themselves successful martial arts through manuals.

Some martial arts manuals include actually very specific training regiments and stances.

Since books contain only knowledge, and not the skill itself. Wouldn't it be better then, if in game manual-books just give a temporary (depending on memory) boost to learning rate of specific skill?
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: October 06, 2011, 11:52:52 am »

That's basically what Askot said ;)
Love, scriver~

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: October 06, 2011, 12:02:40 pm »

it adds the temporary(depending on memory)

Tiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: October 06, 2011, 01:43:32 pm »

That would be a neat way to handle it, it could be improved further is the rustyness of a skill was more granular, so you have the theoretical skill and the practice of the skill. Maybe  skill rust would never hit zero practice but that's where you'd start is you leanerd a practical skill from books.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: October 06, 2011, 02:45:13 pm »

i think rusted dwarves level up quickly back to their skills if they pick up their activity again, but i play with rusting off(i have too, i also play with 10% experience gains)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: October 06, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »

Yeah, skill rust is more like a condition (that can be removed by using the skill again a few times) than an actual loss of skill points (although IIRC your dwarves do eventually start to lose actual skill points if they stay rusty too long).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: October 06, 2011, 10:19:14 pm »

-on the usage of the term martial arts: i thought the person using it for the manuals only meant hand-to-hand combat skills
-i have no problems with eastern martial arts, i practice one myself ^^
-my problem with the manuals would be that it is impossible to actually gain any combat skills just by reading books, no matter how detailed they are. however, they can give guidance on how to train. but without the actual training itself, reading the book gives no benefits, thats what i meant

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2384 on: October 07, 2011, 02:12:58 am »

-on the usage of the term martial arts: i thought the person using it for the manuals only meant hand-to-hand combat skills
-i have no problems with eastern martial arts, i practice one myself ^^
-my problem with the manuals would be that it is impossible to actually gain any combat skills just by reading books, no matter how detailed they are. however, they can give guidance on how to train. but without the actual training itself, reading the book gives no benefits, thats what i meant

On the other hand, books about administration should give you skills even if you do not use then in practice and books about carpentry that give you something inbetween - modest skill raise and some theoretical knowledge that can be built upon with practice.
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 298