Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160335 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2385 on: October 07, 2011, 03:53:55 am »

The necromancer/invasion/books part is done. Next up are mummies. The main things to do there are to improve their tomb maps and to add some variety to their curses. We might also activate some mummies during world gen, which would open them up to mess with you during dwarf mode.

It would be still cooler if entombed nobles of our fortresses could become mummies if disturbed in adventure mode.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: October 07, 2011, 09:11:32 am »

thats not how you create mummies

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: October 07, 2011, 09:15:12 am »

thats not how you create mummies

To admit most settings where Mummies arn't simple zombies usually have an explanation as to why a preserved corpse becomes a zombie instead of a mummy.

In Dungeons and Dragons for example Mummies have extra sorcery involved.

Kappas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: October 07, 2011, 10:03:43 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Cat_Mummification_by_Summum.jpg

Must have!

(notice: this was not really a suggestion!)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: October 07, 2011, 10:12:45 am »

-my problem with the manuals would be that it is impossible to actually gain any combat skills just by reading books, no matter how detailed they are. however, they can give guidance on how to train. but without the actual training itself, reading the book gives no benefits, thats what i meant

So reading a book would give you an experience bonus when you get some in a particular skill, up to a limit fixed by the skill of the writer and his ability to teach others, said bonus being proportionnal to your memory and decreasing with time ?

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: October 07, 2011, 10:32:26 am »

Let's not forget skills like Concentration, Student and Teacher that could take part in this as well.
 Additionally, Wiki mentions some "unused" skills, like Reader and Writer Does it mean that those are already in game and just need to be used somewhere?

EDIT: Unnecessary Quotation removed ;p
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:40:11 am by Rip0k »
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: October 07, 2011, 11:00:47 am »

Let's not forget skills like Concentration, Student and Teacher that could take part in this as well.
 Additionally, Wiki mentions some "unused" skills, like Reader and Writer Does it mean that those are already in game and just need to be used somewhere?

Yes, those skills are valid. You can mod with them, although they aren't really used for much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: October 07, 2011, 11:30:56 am »

Though I suppose it's likely migrants with those skills might arrive, like with that strategy skill that also isn't used ingame.
Love, scriver~

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: October 09, 2011, 05:14:30 am »

Are the pages in DF books made of a specific material at the moment? Do you intend to have paper in the game or will it be limited to vellum?

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: October 09, 2011, 12:33:30 pm »

Will the combat system ever support blowing holes through someone if a projectile is shot with enough force? Right now it just propells the target creature back.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: October 09, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

it's unlikely, since the combat is currently a bit simplified for that.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: October 09, 2011, 03:17:30 pm »

Will the combat system ever support blowing holes through someone if a projectile is shot with enough force? Right now it just propells the target creature back.

Well... I know that people have gotten one of their internal organs wet by getting stabbed and then jumping in a river, so I'm pretty sure the system already supports holes.  Presumably the right weapon can make a hole all the way through a person, but I'm not sure if that has any particular effects.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

jdf318

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: October 09, 2011, 03:45:28 pm »

Well... I know that people have gotten one of their internal organs wet by getting stabbed and then jumping in a river, so I'm pretty sure the system already supports holes.  Presumably the right weapon can make a hole all the way through a person, but I'm not sure if that has any particular effects.

Oh I can make holes alright, the problem is its to a point. After that they just get propelled, which is the problem.

Hugo van der Sanden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: October 09, 2011, 06:36:20 pm »

I recently played in v0.31.25 in adv mode for a few weeks, and there are two things I felt were vital improvements:

1. A follower gets tapped on the arm and drops their weapon; they never pick it up again, and eventually become a wrestler; a  crossbowman starts with 30 bolts, but has no means to pick up a used bolt or acquire more; eventually, they become a hammer{man,dwarf}.

Ideally these example guys would know their needs and desires, would pick up and wield weapons and missiles as appropriate, as well as looting defeated enemies for useful weapons, armour and (more generally) wealth.

But until then: I read in the original dev notes an intention to support the idea that "everyone would permit trade, at the right price" - if I could trade with my followers to give them what they need, that'd make a huge difference to my ability to keep them alive. I think that'd need, in addition, allowing gifts to give an "are you sure?" rather than x-for-zero trades automatically givbing a "yes yes, that's what you want to trade, but what do you want in return?"; I think it'd also need a follower to be capable of wielding/wearing/using an item received in such a trade, if suitable (and, trickier, knowing what's suitable - giving an accordion to a swordsman should ideally not cause them to wield the accordion in the next fight).

2. After travelling in the world map, my follower list is often fatally reduced from what it was when I set out. Either automatically on entering travel mode, or by means of a separate "gather followers" command, I could really do with "5 followers are not available to travel: 2 because they are dead, 1 because she is unconscious, 1 because she is enthralled, and 1 because she's busy fighting an enraged badger".

I'm not sure if it happens, but likewise if a follower gets distracted during a world-map journey, I'd like a warning and an option to descend to local map and chase/help her.

There are many smaller things, but these two feel like they'd make a huge difference to the concept of forging a band of coaligned fighters.

- it'd be hugely helpful if there was a "rally to me" shout that would attract those in earshot that had a "duty" rating sufficient to exceed their engagement in whatever they were busy with;
- I'd love to be able to see their stats, make them train, have them sneak and swim when I do, have them post lookouts when camping, and have them automatically build a temporary (fortified, according to ability and knowledge) camp when camping;
- there should probably also be some potential for in-camp treachery (thieving, assassinating), impregnation and other interactions, and eventually a round-up page that allows you to check (your adventurer's analysis of) the psychological makeup of the group and potential for problems;
- that might end up being a useful precursor for a similar round-up page for fortress mode.

Can I make potential recruits fill in a personality profiling questionnaire before recruiting them? Can they then turn me down on the grounds that "I am not a number"? :)

Hugo

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: October 09, 2011, 07:10:16 pm »

Better follower interface and AI are planned.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 298