Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162943 times)

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2520 on: October 23, 2011, 12:12:06 am »

To be more explicit, no because necromancer tend to get a little antisocial-going-to-build-myself-a-tower-where-I-will-disturb-the-rest-of-the-dead-and-form-them-into-reanimated-corpses.
If I Recall Correctly, it's not defined yet if you can get a necromancer king and have him come to your fortress though.

KiTA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: October 23, 2011, 12:59:30 am »

To be more explicit, no because necromancer tend to get a little antisocial-going-to-build-myself-a-tower-where-I-will-disturb-the-rest-of-the-dead-and-form-them-into-reanimated-corpses.
If I Recall Correctly, it's not defined yet if you can get a necromancer king and have him come to your fortress though.

Heh, I'd love to actually play a antisocial-going-to-build-myself-a-tower "Necromancer fortress."  ;)  It could be fun, having to manage hiding out from others, managing magic resources, etc etc.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: October 23, 2011, 02:55:37 am »

Will Necromancy be available as a Dwarf career choice in Fortress mode?  I'd love to have an army of undead defending my fortress.
Probably not implemented. Necromancer + typical dwarf stupidity -> ??FUN??
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: October 23, 2011, 03:26:39 am »

Will Necromancy be available as a Dwarf career choice in Fortress mode?  I'd love to have an army of undead defending my fortress.
Probably not implemented. Necromancer + typical dwarf stupidity -> ??FUN??
I foresee tantrum spirals. A dwarf dies and gets raised as a zombie. His friends do not really like it but the legendary dining room is pretty nice. Then his ghost comes back to haunt the fortress, which pushes his friends over the edge. Many end up with bruises but unfortunately, poor Urist's skull was smashed into her brain by accident. So she gets raised and her friends become unhappy about it. Since they were just beaten up, they tantrum, which leads into a couple of more deaths. Meanwhile, Urist's ghost scares somebody so bad they have a heart attack.

In short, you'll end up with a fortress of more or less intact zombies and the former inhabitants' ghosts. Sounds Fun to me.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: October 23, 2011, 08:46:58 am »

Well since interactions and curses will be moddible, and undeadifying corpses is apperantly just going to be a curse, it might be possible to mod in a caste or race where all the members have necromancer powers by default.

Might be possible to do that with werebeasts too.

EDIT:Which reminds me,

Is it possible in the new version to link powers to a particular job skill?  Such as giving elven druids some psudo-magical curses, or shapeshifting?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:50:15 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: October 23, 2011, 12:25:37 pm »

Well since interactions and curses will be moddible, and undeadifying corpses is apperantly just going to be a curse, it might be possible to mod in a caste or race where all the members have necromancer powers by default.

Is it possible in the new version to link powers to a particular job skill?  Such as giving elven druids some psudo-magical curses, or shapeshifting?

[arbitary MTG joke] Only if you have 7 or more friends of the druid in the graveyard [arbitary MTG joke]. Anyway this would seem reasonable althought i wonder what else except for creating a stream of angry bees with the current interaction syste would be possible. Maybe streghtening muscels and "hardening" wooden items?

edit: Actually certain abilitys being only useable in a certain state of mind like "grief" combined with "hatred" would be rather nice. I mean the elven druid is (mostlikely) at piece with the land and nature to get him go Wer-bear on you should need a appropriate trigger.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:32:03 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: October 23, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »

[arbitary MTG joke] Only if you have 7 or more friends of the druid in the graveyard [arbitary MTG joke]. Anyway this would seem reasonable althought i wonder what else except for creating a stream of angry bees with the current interaction syste would be possible. Maybe streghtening muscels and "hardening" wooden items?

edit: Actually certain abilitys being only useable in a certain state of mind like "grief" combined with "hatred" would be rather nice. I mean the elven druid is (mostlikely) at piece with the land and nature to get him go Wer-bear on you should need a appropriate trigger.
In other words, when his happiness is low he turns into a bear. Tantrums weren't bad enough, now we need bear tantrums.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: October 23, 2011, 07:46:09 pm »

In other words, when his happiness is low he turns into a bear. Tantrums weren't bad enough, now we need bear tantrums.

I have absolutely no problem with this. Especially if I can crosstrain all my warriors in bear-magic; if they're winning, they're fine. If they're losing, they get scared and turn into bears that just eat whatever was attacking them. You can't lose!
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: October 23, 2011, 11:31:28 pm »

I have absolutely no problem with this. Especially if I can crosstrain all my warriors in bear-magic; if they're winning, they're fine. If they're losing, they get scared and turn into bears that just eat whatever was attacking them. You can't lose!
Bearserkers are all well and good, but what it one of them is happily relaxing in your craft halls when all of a sudden a cave in kills his dog? It would be horrible. Especially since the bearserker probably benefits from [CAN_LEARN] even in bear form.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: October 23, 2011, 11:35:02 pm »

actually, the ber in berserkr already means bear, you're not actually making a pun

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: October 23, 2011, 11:37:39 pm »

actually, the ber in berserkr already means bear, you're not actually making a pun
It's derived from that, anyway. One could argue that it lost that meaning several centuries ago. Regardless, that's the spelling that's commonly used when a berserker actually turns into a bear.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: October 23, 2011, 11:43:02 pm »

Bearserkers are all well and good, but what it one of them is happily relaxing in your craft halls when all of a sudden a cave in kills his dog? It would be horrible. Especially since the bearserker probably benefits from [CAN_LEARN] even in bear form.

That just adds to the ‼Fun‼ >:D

Seriously though, yeah, something like that would be a good reason to diversify the emotion system beyond just ecstatic <-> suicidal like we  have now. If you have seperate stats for (say) happiness, anger, grief, fear and satisfaction, and can tie each one to different actions, we could have a lot of fun. Oh well, I'm sure I remember Toady talking about it somewhere, so it's probably coming eventually.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: October 24, 2011, 02:56:34 am »

If the ber is berserker means bear, what does the zerk mean?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2533 on: October 24, 2011, 03:04:07 am »

zerg.

Its literal translation to modern english is "Bear Zerging", it relates to medieval image of hairy men swarming expensive knights and subduing them while ignoring wounds and losses as you can always cheaply field more naked hairy men.

duh.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: October 24, 2011, 03:32:22 am »

shirt or coat
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 298