Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1163165 times)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2745 on: November 05, 2011, 10:45:43 am »

Let the ideas flowing, every small idea improving on the interface while taking few coding time from Toady is great.

I have several ideas improving an interface that would take less than a hour each to implement, most have been posted somewhere already, yet none made it into the game. I would happily code them myself if it was possible, but unfortunately it is not.

The most important one being:
Remember the last material used for construction and select it automatically when building another construction!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: November 05, 2011, 12:40:25 pm »

Let the ideas flowing, every small idea improving on the interface while taking few coding time from Toady is great.

I have several ideas improving an interface that would take less than a hour each to implement, most have been posted somewhere already, yet none made it into the game. I would happily code them myself if it was possible, but unfortunately it is not.

The most important one being:
Remember the last material used for construction and select it automatically when building another construction!

Do not get so carried over, this is not the way Toady works. As he just had improved the Unit Screen, it may be easier to him do add something more there, as he is involved in that part of the code. This does not mean it is easy to change the interface somewhere else. Or that he is willing to. ( I don't really expect he will heard me either, he must already has moved on from that part)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 02:45:40 pm by thvaz »

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: November 05, 2011, 01:51:06 pm »

I have several ideas improving an interface that would take less than a hour each to implement

;D Oh, the naivety.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: November 05, 2011, 04:05:18 pm »

Been a while since I've been on the DF forum.

I'm just wondering, will there ever be a "Save and continue", or "Save and don't quit", or "Save and keep going!" button?
Even if it pauses once it finishes saving, in case you left the room, having to press 'space' once is far preferable to having to load up again entirely.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: November 05, 2011, 04:29:12 pm »

I'm just wondering, will there ever be a "Save and continue", or "Save and don't quit", or "Save and keep going!" button?
Even if it pauses once it finishes saving, in case you left the room, having to press 'space' once is far preferable to having to load up again entirely.
Autosave doesn't quit. Other than that, I doubt it. It's not something I've heard of anyone caring about.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: November 05, 2011, 04:32:12 pm »

Autosave doesn't quit. Other than that, I doubt it. It's not something I've heard of anyone caring about.

It is called permadeath, a convention of the roguelike genre. Autosave is to avoid to lose everything because of a crash. You aren't supposed to use it after you lose. Though it is a single player game, so anyone can does as it best pleases them.

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: November 05, 2011, 06:43:34 pm »

It is called permadeath, a convention of the roguelike genre. Autosave is to avoid to lose everything because of a crash. You aren't supposed to use it after you lose. Though it is a single player game, so anyone can does as it best pleases them.
He asked for "save and don't return to the main menu", not "don't save and return to the main menu".

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: November 05, 2011, 06:46:26 pm »

He asked for "save and don't return to the main menu", not "don't save and return to the main menu".
From what I can tell, he wants a manual autosave, as it were.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: November 05, 2011, 07:01:19 pm »

From what I can tell, he wants a manual autosave, as it were.
"Manual autosave" is a confusing oxymoron. He wants a save without returning to the main menu.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: November 05, 2011, 07:08:50 pm »

Which wouldn't make the permadeath feature obsolete, by the way, as it would still save upon death/quit as well. But an option to save when I want to would be great (for example, if I designate my whole living quarters level in early spring, I always fear the game will crash before summer and I'll have to do it over again).
Love, scriver~

Tweakd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: November 06, 2011, 05:36:29 pm »

Yea i often suffer from crashes so need to save regularly. Seasonal autosave is great until you get a mature fortress. I can be playing for hours without a backup so have no choice but to save then load every time.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: November 06, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »

Which wouldn't make the permadeath feature obsolete, by the way, as it would still save upon death/quit as well. But an option to save when I want to would be great (for example, if I designate my whole living quarters level in early spring, I always fear the game will crash before summer and I'll have to do it over again).

"Perma-death" might as well be synonymous with "perma-decisions" as well. A "Save and Continue" option would encourage save-scumming, otherwise known as the practice of dicking around with little consequence because you can always roll back to a previous save.

Without holding the player responsible for his actions, we'd never have stories of people flooding their fortresses, or losing their forts due to a butterfly clogging up the door hinges, or any of the other memorable moments. It'd be incredibly disappointing for him to add such an unneeded feature

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: November 06, 2011, 07:16:57 pm »

"Perma-death" might as well be synonymous with "perma-decisions" as well. A "Save and Continue" option would encourage save-scumming, otherwise known as the practice of dicking around with little consequence because you can always roll back to a previous save.

...but what he is proposing won't change the permadeath nature. At least not to any notable degree, given that if you're really anal about save scumming, you can do so anyway. As long as you still save on exit, the only difference it will make is shaving the 30s or so of loading time off between saves. It just makes life easier for those with unstable builds such as Tweakd.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: November 06, 2011, 07:20:23 pm »

...but what he is proposing won't change the permadeath nature. At least not to any notable degree, given that if you're really anal about save scumming, you can do so anyway. As long as you still save on exit, the only difference it will make is shaving the 30s or so of loading time off between saves. It just makes life easier for those with unstable builds such as Tweakd.

This conversation is sounding a lot more that it should be had in Suggestion Forum.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2759 on: November 06, 2011, 11:18:29 pm »

Quote from: 'Devlog'
the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

I can't imagine how abuse prone this is going to be.

A mandate eh? Murderer!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 298