Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1163105 times)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2775 on: November 07, 2011, 05:19:09 am »

I don't think it is all that modern or uncommon, though I'm not up on things enough to say what was common for commoners in different eras.  But yeah, the issue is getting say 8 specific dwarves in the same place at the same time, while still allowing them to eat, drink and sleep and without having the loss of labor be a large issue.  I think it's a difficult problem on the fortress time scale.  The current squad activities don't generally require total attendance.  Perhaps if they were provided beverages by servants and could subsist on alcohol throughout the trial...

Well, most players seem to have issues with too many idlers / huge surplus of dwarven labor / keeping dwarves busy. I do not see gatherings like court sessions to be issue, but rather one of things that mature fort is supposed to be able to handle without fun consequences.

True, but I think that the problem is like this:
25% do all work and work 90% of the time.
75% haul items and work 10% of the time.

Out of 8 dwarves needed in court most might be those who work 90% of time because theyre the ones who are most active in the fort and thus Witness crimes that happen. Unless the crime happens in meeting hall of course.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2776 on: November 07, 2011, 05:40:45 am »

Crime happens in dining hall, 200 witnesses. Trial ends 3 years later...
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2777 on: November 07, 2011, 06:26:35 am »

Quote from: 'Devlog'
the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

I can't imagine how abuse prone this is going to be.

A mandate eh? Murderer!

I don't know. Falsely accusing people is bound to get a few penelties.

Namely unhappy thoughts.

Sweet mercy. Who cares about unhappy thoughts. Sadism reigns.

It would be interesting if later, when dorf personality is rewritten, if dorfs could make false accusations to attempt to get you or the sherif to remove political rivals.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2778 on: November 07, 2011, 07:31:59 am »

I don't think it is all that modern or uncommon, though I'm not up on things enough to say what was common for commoners in different eras.  But yeah, the issue is getting say 8 specific dwarves in the same place at the same time, while still allowing them to eat, drink and sleep and without having the loss of labor be a large issue.  I think it's a difficult problem on the fortress time scale.  The current squad activities don't generally require total attendance.  Perhaps if they were provided beverages by servants and could subsist on alcohol throughout the trial...
It kind of sounds to me that the inn/tavern framework would at least help with the providing beverages and food thing.

Urist Poirot cancels Solve Crime: Getting food
Urist Poirot cancels Eat: Mistaken for Human
Urist Poirot is throwing a tantrum!

Trials seem very much in flavor for dwarves to me. The inquisitor idea seems to be better suited for the stock humans.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2779 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:34 am »

I can already see it now. One tantruming dwarf killing another dwarf in the meeting hall, resulting in the other 150 dwarves present there rushing over to the sheriff to give their witness accounts.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2780 on: November 07, 2011, 07:55:28 am »

Sheriff starves to death due to queue of 150 witnesses.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2781 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:06 am »

Honestly I was sort of hoping that murderers would get the chance to hide bodies in, for example, storage containers or in private rooms or under furnature or down wells.

Something to make murders a bit more interesting to solve.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2782 on: November 07, 2011, 10:36:33 am »

In a container would be fairly easy, although I don't know how one is supposed to move a body as large as his in twisted, dwarf-packed corridors without ANYONE noticing.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2783 on: November 07, 2011, 10:50:47 am »

Depends on fortress design. My design usualy involve long 3 tiles thick corridors that can be crowded (corridors to the dining/meeting hall), periodicaly used (corridor to workshops/bedrooms) or almost deserted (special rooms for levers/mining operations when the miners are idling).

But yea, it'd be nice if the criminal tried to conceal his crime in some way, but that can be left for later. What would be nice to have now is criminals that don't just commit crimes in front of everyone. A vampire noble could wait for someone to come in his office rather then just attacking them in the dining hall, etc.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: November 07, 2011, 03:34:26 pm »

Given that, on the rare occasion I actually appoint a sheriff, it's usually the weakest, most incompetent dwarf I can find (lest the beatings turn into massacres), I can see it becoming a problem if every sheriff sent to take down the vampire becomes the next victim.

Well, obviously if it becomes more important that the sheriff is a good fighter you might want to start assigning better fighters to be sheriff.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2785 on: November 07, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »

least when this becomes a concern you can assign who gets punished and hopefully how. :P
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2786 on: November 07, 2011, 05:06:39 pm »

Urist McHauler cancels Store Item: Full of corpse
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: November 07, 2011, 06:19:48 pm »

Quote from: Devlog
...give you the ability to level an accusation. Without trials ... the accuse button will send a dwarf straight to the punishment phase.

Did somebody say "Instant Tantrum Button"?  Because I think I heard "Instant Tantrum Button".  Finally, one-touch fortress collapse.  Hell yes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2788 on: November 07, 2011, 07:51:05 pm »

A few questions about the new Report Crime job.

Will a dwarf's personality have an impact on reporting a crime like feeding/recovering wounded does? In other words, will a dwarf who loves chaos get a bad thought for upholding the system by reporting it while a dwarf who loves stability and order gets a happy thought?

Second, do dwarves just stop/finish their current task and report the crime or will they ever attempt to intervene? For instance, will Urist McLegendary+5Miner go find the sheriff or will Urist McVampire become Urist McBrainShatteredViaExtremePickination? On a related note, what about pets? If Urist McVictim has a pet Giant Cave Spider, does Peter McParker watch his owner get drained or does it defend him?
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:55:01 pm by Ubiq »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: November 07, 2011, 07:54:24 pm »

A few questions about the new Report Crime job.

Do dwarves just stop/finish their current task and report the crime or will they ever attempt to intervene? For instance, will Urist McLegendary+5Miner go find the sheriff or will Urist McVampire become Urist McBrainShatteredViaExtremePickination? On a related note, what about pets? If Urist McVictim has a pet Giant Cave Spider, does Peter McParker watch his owner get drained or does it defend him?

I'm gonna say no. That stuff will probably have to wait until the personality rewrite. As for pets, I'm also gonna say no, unless they are war animals or hunter animals.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 298