Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162641 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2790 on: November 07, 2011, 10:26:53 pm »

Can Dwarves be sentenced to death dirrectly now instead of the usual many strikes?

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2791 on: November 08, 2011, 01:14:01 am »

Will we be able to summarily order the execution of anyone we wish?
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:41 am »

I wonder if its really necessary to use two different death notification systems. Why not report accidental death through the same mechanism as murder?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: November 08, 2011, 11:08:36 am »

I also wonder what should happen if everyone witnesses a murder, either by the sheriff, or perhaps if the sheriff is the murder victim. It's probably necessary to hold on to the 'report crime' job through periods where there is no sheriff, or when the sheriff is the perp.

For example, if the sheriff is murdered in the main meeting hall in front of half the fort, does that mean there is no crime to report?

It also seems there are scenarios where rumors ought to be announced. A dwarf would not report to the sheriff regarding a murder he witnessed the sherrif commiting, but he would certainly tell his friends what he saw.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: November 08, 2011, 11:29:11 am »

With this "J'accuse!" button,
1) you can accuse anyone or only those dwarves who have decent evidence against them?
2) What happens if you accuse an innocent dwarf? angry dwarf friends?
3) Is there such a button for every commited/noticed/reported crime? or is it a generic button to accuse a dwarf of a certain crime.
4) Will there be more random/mandate crimes now?
e.g. Consumption of sewerbrew is forbidden.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: November 08, 2011, 01:22:58 pm »

Are all murders perpetrated by vampires? Or can a natural dwarf just decide to murder someone s/he doesn't like if s/he has appropriate personality traits, etc? Or would a dwarf only kill another dwarf in the context of a tantrum, as is the case now?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: November 08, 2011, 01:56:25 pm »

I was about to comment sarcastically like "gee, 90% of these questions could be answered already if you assume that Toady did not changed anything above that he writes", but I thought these questions (even most obvious) are, in fact useful. Toady reads them, so they can remind him if he thought of and handled all implications and possible combinations of events for justice system rewrite.

Is this complete rewrite, or extension of current justice system?

Mentioned in first sentence assumption would suggest it is extension (in other words, you get to accuse only for murder, but mandates/tantrums/etc are done as usual), but I want to be sure, because I did not notice anything in devlog that would clearly state that this new justice system code is (not) only for murders.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2797 on: November 08, 2011, 03:16:31 pm »

New bug: Murder committed in dining room. Sheriff is surrounded by 200 dwarves all trying to report the same murder. It takes a year to resolve the reports, by which time half the fortress has starved to death, suffered alcohol withdrawal, or gone berserk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: November 08, 2011, 03:17:32 pm »

It may be interesting to see ghost reporting murders.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: November 08, 2011, 03:31:06 pm »

New bug: Murder committed in dining room. Sheriff is surrounded by 200 dwarves all trying to report the same murder. It takes a year to resolve the reports, by which time half the fortress has starved to death, suffered alcohol withdrawal, or gone berserk.

Werebeast transforms and kills a dwarf.  The werebeast changes back and reports the murder.   When questioned they report themselves as the murderer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2800 on: November 08, 2011, 04:15:19 pm »

The Sherif is a werebeast. He transforms and murders somebody. On return, he meets with himself, sentances himself to death, and then spends months running around, trying to catch himself.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2801 on: November 08, 2011, 04:17:39 pm »

Werebeast transforms and kills a dwarf.  The werebeast changes back and reports the murder.   When questioned they report themselves as the murderer.
This doesn't need to be a bug, it could be quite realistic and dramatic if it depends on the dwarfs personality!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 04:31:05 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: November 08, 2011, 09:11:37 pm »

This doesn't need to be a bug, it could be quite realistic and dramatic if it depends on the dwarfs personality!
Was gonna say, not a bug, a feature! Especially if he has guilty unhappy thoughts regarding the transformation.

"I murdered that dude. Kill me or lock me up before I do it again! Please!"

hoveringdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: November 08, 2011, 10:36:21 pm »

Curious now whether a ghost could report his own murder...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: November 08, 2011, 10:39:45 pm »

Curious now whether a ghost could report his own murder...

If I remember correctly ghosts can only report their own murder in the case of ear poisoning.
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188 189 ... 298