Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160307 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2805 on: November 08, 2011, 10:42:29 pm »

It may be interesting to see ghost reporting murders.

Curious now whether a ghost could report his own murder...

If I remember correctly ghosts can only report their own murder in the case of ear poisoning.

I lol'd. Just think, with the taverns update we may have performances/plays, with which to catch the conscience of the King!

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2806 on: November 08, 2011, 10:59:25 pm »

Well, we know from the Devlog that a ghost appearing will inform the Sheriff that a dwarf is dead, but as to whether it can actually identify the murderer...

On a related note;

Toady, does a witness to a murder only ascribe cause if they see the actual blow being struck? As in, if I had a dwarf get attacked on his own (say by a vampire, for instance), but he manages to escape to a populated area only to die of his wounds, will the dwarf that witnesses his death report the vampire, or just that the dwarf has died?

Also, what happens when there are multiple attackers? Does only the person that strikes the final blow count, or can multiple attackers get reported?

Anyhoo, loving the way the game is going, especially because I can see all this contributing to things like goblin-raised spies infiltrating the fortress to lower the gates, secret societies that wish to overthrow the monarchy, or pickpockets and burglars.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: November 09, 2011, 01:33:42 am »

If I remember correctly ghosts can only report their own murder in the case of ear poisoning.

I lol'd. Just think, with the taverns update we may have performances/plays, with which to catch the conscience of the King!
Right now that wouldn't be necessary, since the devils cannot assume a pleasing shape.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: November 09, 2011, 01:58:25 am »

Right now that wouldn't be necessary, since the devils cannot assume a pleasing shape.

Unless you're into tentacles I guess...
There is something I don't grasp with the ear-poisoning. Is it a Hamlet reference ?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: November 09, 2011, 02:17:38 am »

Say that two dwarves are walking down a hall and another dwarf near them lets out a roaring laugh, fell and terrible, before striking down one of the two and dragging off the corpse to the nearest workshop. Does the other dwarf report this as a crime or are the only crimes recognized those that involve vampires/werewolves?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: November 09, 2011, 02:31:19 am »

Attributes are supposed to impact performance at various tasks, but according to my testing impact of attributes on quality of products is completely unimportant compared to skill. There is no noticeable difference between "legendary carpenter with a boundless creative imagination" and "legendary carpenter (with average creativity)". Is it intended?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: November 09, 2011, 03:36:11 am »

Attributes are supposed to impact performance at various tasks, but according to my testing impact of attributes on quality of products is completely unimportant compared to skill. There is no noticeable difference between "legendary carpenter with a boundless creative imagination" and "legendary carpenter (with average creativity)". Is it intended?

It's just as well, since (as far as I've heard since 0.31.1 came out) attribute gains from use are pretty much completely broken.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: November 09, 2011, 03:48:23 am »

Unless you're into tentacles I guess...
There is something I don't grasp with the ear-poisoning. Is it a Hamlet reference ?
That entire quote chain is about Hamlet.

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: November 09, 2011, 06:34:51 am »

a terrible idea, Get thee to a nunnery

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2814 on: November 09, 2011, 09:54:10 am »

Shakesperian puns? Nothing will lead to a thread more full of posts and fury.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:24 pm »

Don't get the Macbeth in the Hamlet! What is wrong with you?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: November 09, 2011, 01:22:54 pm »

To thine own self be true. To thy sheriff, accuseth the export banning-baron at your leisure.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: November 09, 2011, 01:24:52 pm »

Does the other dwarf report this (fell mood) as a crime or are the only crimes recognized those that involve vampires/werewolves
I bet that fell mood will be handled as usual.

Well, we know from the Devlog that a ghost appearing will inform the Sheriff that a dwarf is dead,
I do not see in devlogs anything about ghosts reporting to sheriff. Only that dwarves will know that one of them is dead, when ghost appears. Your intepretation, while not contradictiory, is too specific and thus have low chance to be actually true.

will the dwarf that witnesses his death report the vampire, or just that the dwarf has died?
Depends. It should be relatively simple to remember indirect reason of death, but remebering both causes (vampire attack and later bleeding to death) and that dorf witnesses both events will be harder. This will get complicated fast when dorf on his way moves through moving upright spikes. Or get goblin arrow. Or get mauled by badger. Or whatever. Now he bleeds for zilion reasons. So... probably dorf will report direct reason of death (or even only that he is dead, Jim) and thats it.

Also, what happens when there are multiple attackers? Does only the person that strikes the final blow count, or can multiple attackers get reported?
Again, depends how much work was done programming this. I assume for now that only one person at once can be reported.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: November 09, 2011, 02:21:37 pm »

Well, we know from the Devlog that [the fact of] a ghost appearing will inform the Sheriff that a dwarf is dead,
I do not see in devlogs anything about ghosts reporting to sheriff. Only that dwarves will know that one of them is dead, when ghost appears. Your intepretation, while not contradictiory, is too specific and thus have low chance to be actually true.

I think you misinterpreted Jones' quote -- see my edit.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: November 09, 2011, 04:23:49 pm »

Yah, Foot has the right of it. As for the other points, I'd figured the same, but I wanted confirmation; that's why I'm asking Toady :P
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] 189 190 ... 298