Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161404 times)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2011, 11:36:34 pm »

As someone who really hates undead horror, I'm so scared  :'( :'( :'(
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2011, 01:04:06 am »

Quote from: Toady Log
I set up two lines of necromancers in the arena and gave them adamantine swords. The forces clashed, and then a roiling pile of severed limbs and heads and bodies jumped into the fray until one of the sides was victorious, with their new little buddy parts wandering around aimlessly near them.

Sounds manic!  Some fine point questions...

Can Necromancers raise the limbs of slain-already-raised creatures?

Can Necromancers perform other actions (like wielding adamantine swords) whilst raising, or do they have some penalty to movement and action, or are they temporarily incapacitated?

It's really nice to see such cool game mechanics coming out so quickly from the "new" materials and raws rewrite.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2011, 01:49:51 am »

I really like the term "buddy parts". :D
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2011, 02:12:50 am »

Issue 3 is actually not an issue- when you scroll over a dwarf when choosing where to assign him it lists his squad affiliation, if any, in the upper right.
It's pretty easy to miss, though, if you don't know to look for it. I'd say that ideally those soldiers should be color-coded in a way similar to people in the room assignment menus in addition to whatever military screen improvements there are.

If you know where to look for it, it is still easy to ignore - it is in opposite corner of screen and you have to check it for each individual dwarf, it is quite important information that should be part of list.

I would support color-coding: simple yet informative. I shall make suggestion with this.

I find military to be quite stable in recent releases, and even healthcare is almost fine now.

It is stable, as in not crashing game anymore and doing fine job at killing foes and if you take your time to set it up it works like clockwork.

It just has pains associate with its setup, which kinda makes it broken for me.

As for healthcare - there are only weakly connected issues with it nowadays (Leftover buckets of water from canceled "give water" have strange tendency to be used for lye production and become bugged as result, which makes soap production pain - mantis 0001324 ).

I, of course, have some pet issue with it: Concerning pets - healthcare does not handle animals, so your dogs go on undiagnosed and then subsequently uncleaned, unsurtured, unbandaged... mantis 0000349

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2011, 02:19:07 am »

I'm setting up independent monument burial sites for people, so that in addition to the catacombs down below, they can also build pyramids and things, like we used to have

I hope "things" includes barrows.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2011, 03:03:32 am »

Ok, so I'm still curious as to whether the undead still have a hit-points system, or whether there's some more intricate, awesomeness now coded into their systems? Because I really want to know, if it's not hit-points, how does one go about 'killing' a severed arm!?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2011, 04:28:33 am »

Ok, so I'm still curious as to whether the undead still have a hit-points system, or whether there's some more intricate, awesomeness now coded into their systems? Because I really want to know, if it's not hit-points, how does one go about 'killing' a severed arm!?
Arm soup. :P
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2011, 05:17:05 am »

Arm soup. :P
Urist McNecromancer mutters some dark sounds...
An unidentifiable piece of gore has been re-animated!
The piece of gore launches itself at Urist McAdventurer!
It pierces the brain!
Urist McAdventurer has been struck down.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

BaLLz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2011, 08:12:03 am »

This month you have posted once per day on the Current Development page. So my question would be, will you continue to do so? Loving it.

First time I ask a question here. I hope I'm doing it properly.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2011, 10:02:48 am »

This month you have posted once per day on the Current Development page. So my question would be, will you continue to do so? Loving it.

Perfectly legitimate question, and I echo it completely. I really am loving the daily devlogs, they make the wait more fun.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2011, 10:18:25 am »

This seems like the ultimate in questions that will answer themselves, given a little patience.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2011, 10:30:54 am »

Toady One I'm setting up independent monument burial sites for people, so that in addition to the catacombs down below, they can also build pyramids and things, like we used to have. It should be entertaining. I've also got arm and head animation mostly working -- I set up two lines of necromancers in the arena and gave them adamantine swords. The forces clashed, and then a roiling pile of severed limbs and heads and bodies jumped into the fray until one of the sides was victorious, with their new little buddy parts wandering around aimlessly near them.

So you can reanimate that arm ok?

Anyway, I really want to see a Jim Henson film starring these necromancers. I can just see the little felt bits inchworming around the set.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2011, 11:20:04 am »

Perfectly legitimate question, and I echo it completely. I really am loving the daily devlogs, they make the wait more fun.

I really, really doubt it.

Toady's probably going to burn out on it after he starts moving on to more boring things, like the bug-squashing phase after this release.  He isn't going to want to post updates on, "I still can't figure out what causes this one bug, I'm going to go checking this other set of code later tonight." 

Besides which, he isn't going to actually be coding every single day, either.  Unless he just stores up announcements so that he can take a day off, and go visit his family or something, and make a smokescreen devlog post of something he actually did a couple days ago, he's not always going to have something to post. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2011, 11:35:06 am »

Can we make subtle region curses? I'd like to see little hamlets full of backwards, mutated townsfolk.
From the sound of Threetoe's teaser in the Dev Log, it sounds curses can possibly alienate you from normal not cursed individuals. Will these curses be causing effects that might make you unpleasant for normals to deal with?

For example, a curse of sores or a curse of ugliness.  I imagine these types of curses might make it in because of how they are tied to mummies in fiction and simply want to know if they are within the scope of working on mummies. The idea of a curse making you an outcast is not uncommon either and that what it sounds like could happen from the Dev Log...

This came up in the List thread:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Neonivek
I know your removing Good and Evil in the not so distant future... but what would be your guess of the Spheres which would be closest to good and evil? Actually undertaking all the Sphere related Spherical Land conversion of the Evil/good lands seems like a lot. I am guessing the dev item refers to you taking the first steps? What exactly does that entail if I am allowed to ask.

You mean not close to good in the moral/whatever sense but in the close to good in terms of having unicorns and fairies and fluffy wamblers occur as they do now?  If a unicorn is associated to particular spheres (luck, say) then it would be luck-lands that get them, rather than anything else (unless luck is linked to other spheres, then there's some chance of pulling them over to those as well).  The evil lands either get the "evil" creatures or the undead curses, so when those are sphered out, it would be handled that way.  Of course, since there are like 100 spheres (and will be many more no doubt), yeah, this is a large project overall, especially when you get away from the stock raw monsters and ask which random creature/veg/etc. traits should be linked to spheres and try to do every sphere justice.  If it also gets deity links at that time, you have the local civilizations associated to the deities to consider as well, so an "evil" god sphere-related land near a human civ might take the human body definition and then sphere-twist it into something that is meant to be a mockery of human form (good ones do the same thing but the twists would not be seen as a negative thing, though they could still be terrifying).  In real-world mythological examples, a lot of this depends on the cultural values associated to certain animals, though simple things like stripping off the outer layer (ie skin) or adding fire breath or making the skin a different color etc. all work as well, and I've got the tools to do all of that now with this revision.  As long as the sphere/cultural links are reasonably maintained, I think it won't devolve into a sea of garbage slush (as a more trivial but current example, take god names vs. some of the other names -- sphere-links tend to make the god names "better", in one sense at least, though clearly it all needs work).

A question, though;
Have you settled on what these 'secrets' will allow? Would you pretty please be able to post a list (so, immortality, raising and binding undead, rapid healing, etc)?

You mentioned that new secrets will be able to be modded in on release.  What kind of functionality on release are we looking at for that system?  Will secrets be able to change attributes, give new body parts, or anything like that, or will it just be tags like [IMMORTAL] or whatever for now?

"I don't want to post those now because the format is still fluid."

Toady, will necromancy be possible in the Arena?

Today's devlog confirms this.

With the advent of necromancy, will it be possible to use necromancer's powers to recruit ghosts on quests of revenge?

Oh, and another question: Will it be possible to get quests of revenge from your old dead adventurers for in exchange for the dead adventurer's equipment?

AFAIK there hasn't been any mention of necromancers recruiting ghosts in world gen or otherwise, so probably not.

Tangible rewards for quests haven't been implemented yet, nor has any notion of personal revenge, so no, not in the next version.

Are necromancers going to send their armies to all nearby sites?
(to harvest bodies)
or only to fortresses? If so, what is their common motivation to focus on dwarves so?

Also, will these small towers grow larger as the number of minions grows?

The dev log mentions necromancers raising corpses from old battlefields, so they're not focusing on dwarves per se.

Tower size will probably be fixed at worldgen.

3. Is it possible that the leader of a dwarven civ, perhaps the king at your fortress even, might become a necromancer while you're playing? What would happen if they did? Would they suddenly just become an enemy while standing in your fort and promptly get slaughtered, would they run off and disappear off screen before returning years later with an undead horde, or would they remain in power and you would just have what amounts to an invincible population in which any member who died was raised almost immediately.

Covered in the last thread:
Quote from: monk12
Will secrets make an appearance in dwarf mode any time soon?

Lets say that a demon relates a secret to a man in world gen. That man writes it down on his fancy stone tablet. A megabeast then steals that tablet and takes it back to his lair. World gen ends, and the player embarks with their dwarves on that lair. Will the tablet be there for the dwarves to find? When can we expect some kind of meaningful interaction with that kind of world-gen artifact?

I'm not sure what's going to happen with dwarf mode vs. the world gen artifacts.  It seems like they will be available in the same space, which I guess would mean if it's a slab you could unforbid it and place it like a building...  but I dunno if your dwarves will suddenly all become immortal and start raising their pets.  We'll have to see what happens.

If the player in adventure mode/armies in the future dwarf mode slaughter a village, will a necromancer be able to harvest their bodies / create an undead city while in-play? or will the necromancer rise be restricted in a short worldgen that happens between one adventure/fortress and the next one?

Creation of necromantic towers and undead armies will probably only occur during primary world generation.  It definitely won't happen during play (that's a Release 5 thing at the soonest), and while the game does currently skip a year or two between Adventure/Fortress games, it doesn't seem to incorporate most of the stuff that happens during primary world generation.

The absence of a 'jungle' biome have puzzled me a long time. Surroundings like "Polluted", "No-Gravity" and "Irradiated"(magically, that is) might be a bit out-of-place, but still possible to mod in.

In the future, are you planning on implementing other kinds of biomes and surroundings?

'Jungle' is an inexact term, but the game has plenty of tropical forests.

As for new types of surroundings:

Quote from: dev_single
# Core94, RANDOMIZED REGIONS AND THEIR FLORA/FAUNA, (Future): The current good/evil regions should be scrapped and replaced by a system that aligns a region to varying degrees with a set of spheres. In this way you could end up with a desert where the stones sing or a forest where the trees bleed, with all sorts of randomly generated creatures and plants that are appropriate to the sphere settings. It's important that randomly generated objects be introduced to the player carefully during play rather than just being thrown one after another to allow for immersion, though there's also something to be said for cold dumping the player in a world with completely random settings, provided they can access enough information by looking/listening and having conversations, etc. Requires Core92.

You talked on the dev page about adventurers interrogating bad guys for information. While I understand that's a ways off, could that theoretically work for magical secrets?

Part of the implementation of secrets was that Toady "set up the knowledge structures for historical figures", and coupled with his comment about "knowledge [of secrets] spreading all over the place" and the general goal of being able to interrogate people, yeah, it's one of those things that will hopefully work out later.

Will brewing continue to make liquid out of nowhere?
This one just puzzles me at the moment.

In the next release, yes.  Later on, probably not.

Will we see non-human towns (such as mountain homes, goblin forts, and elf forest retreats) return sometime during the nine releases?

From the last thread:
Quote from: freeformschooler
will the town revamp starting with the next release finally give us elf/dwarf settlements with actual elves & dwarves?

Doing those prior to the dwarf mode army arc releases is the current plan, so that you have something to attack.  So in between the caravan releases and the army-related army arc releases.  If it comes up, it might happen sooner, if it's forced in some way by the trading, but that might not be how it works out.

Will we be able to find and use slabs that contain knowledge of secrets? So my adventurer could find the "slab of death" and then go run off to build a tower and raise an undead army to conquer the region?

Last thread:
Quote from: tHe_silent_H
Will adventures be able to learn these new "secrets"?

It comes down to adding an interface to it, pretty much, and supporting any special interactions that might take some care when coming from the player.  Ideally if you can turn into some sort of night creature, you'd get all of its powers and get to keep playing, but the use of interactions is exactly the problem with allowing the player to do that.  We'll see what the breadth of interactions ends up being.  It could end up being pretty straightforward to do.

Building towers and raising armies won't be possible yet, though.

Imagine, you get a quest from a priest of Merra -the blessed blossom- to attack a shrine to Armok -God of Blades- and kill it's priest. If both temples are located in the same civilization, how will this work out for your relations with that civ? Will relations with temples be seperate from those with civs? Will effects on relations be more confined to sites.

The game already separately tracks your affiliation with a temple vs. your affiliation with a civ, but in the next version, you will still become an enemy of the civ.  Toady probably won't have any detailed predictions until he begins working on Justice.

when weather becomes more implemented will there be creatures that affect the weather? such as a lightning titan that brings rain and causes random lighting strikes leading to Fun and fires?

Cool idea, but there's no timeline or definite answers yet.

you once mentioned in a df talk about artefacts playing larger roles such as a hat that sucks the world into a fire realm, considering that we already get named weapons, is it possible that you might include a way of the weapon getting "enchanted/cursed" from over use?

These powerful beings that can be disturbed. Will they all be Historical Figures that have been buried or will they be other Fun things as well?

Night creatures too, it's sounding like.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2011, 02:10:29 pm »

Footkercheif's answer post is almost as big as some of Toady's.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 298