Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160732 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2925 on: November 18, 2011, 10:00:54 am »

Mendoza
You'll have to be 35 times faster to get the same impact from an Ada hammer(0.23) as from a steel (7.8 ) one. That would be the equivalent of a projectile, I guess. :/
Also, with such low densities/speeds, air friction will also become a major factor.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 10:56:21 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: November 18, 2011, 10:08:07 am »

Mendoza
You'll have to be 35 times faster to get the same impact from an Ada hammer(0.23) as from a steel (7.8) one. That would be the equivalent of a projectile, I guess. :/
Also, with such low densities/speeds, air friction will also become a major factor.

It would be great to see someone move their arm that fast! (or maybe it would have to be in the wrist?)

block spiders!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: November 18, 2011, 10:18:49 am »

Of course, DF also doesn't properly slow down a weapon due to its weight. Silver hammers should be kind of terrible, because of the fact that having a heavier-than-normal hammer isn't quite an advantage; you swing more slowly and more clumsily with less maneuverability, therefore there's less energy behind the blow. Past a certain point, there's simply no advantage to adding more weight, or else iron hammers would just be made with more iron to begin with.

I think this is true for weak and untrained hammer users, but for a strong and coordinated user, it's less of an issue. The mass of the hammer is always there; if there's more muscle to accelerate it, then it can be used more effectively. It's the inverse of the brass/adamantine knuckles mentioned earlier. A hammer's force is applied by the momentum of the hammer's head, and the user's strength is used to accelerate it quicker, instead of pushing the weapon like brass knuckles or a sword/spear thrust. A stronger user would be able to attack faster as well as with more accuracy. Imagine an industrial robot the size of a dwarf, equipped with powerful motors and swinging a hammer with perfect accuracy and terrifying force. A more trained user might know how to keep the hammer moving if he doesn't score a hit, instead of swinging, missing, and planting the hammer in the dirt.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: November 18, 2011, 10:28:48 am »

Once you get a heavier weapon Block it becomes tougher and tougher to "reset" your weapon. As you need to use more and more strength just holding on.

As well often the danger isn't keeping the weapon moving after it misses. Sometimes the danger is moving the weapon after it hits.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55:55 am »

One way to get more speed into your hammer is spinning, as they do at the olympic hammer throw and what warhammer(r) Goblin fanatics do. :)
Problem with that technique becomes accuracy... certainly after more than half a minute. :lol:
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

block spiders!

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: November 18, 2011, 10:57:09 am »

Once you get a heavier weapon Block it becomes tougher and tougher to "reset" your weapon. As you need to use more and more strength just holding on.
My point was that the awkwardness and inertia of the weapon inversely correlates to the strength and skill of the user. I think it's reasonable to assume that a legendary hammerdwarf would be able to hit harder with a platinum hammer than with a copper one. Realistically, this would still mean a relative loss of maneuverability, parrying ability, and an increase of time between attacks, but a capable hammer user would be able to do more damage per hit with a heavier weapon, and a dwarf that is twice as strong would probably not be hindered by a weapon that's 15% heavier. I concede that something impossibly heavy like a slade hammer would be difficult to wield simply because of the immense effort needed to overcome its inertia and get it moving.
As well often the danger isn't keeping the weapon moving after it misses. Sometimes the danger is moving the weapon after it hits.
I know; every bit of force that is applied to the target is spent in the attack. In real life this wouldn't be as much of an issue because a solid hit would probably stun or knock back the victim enough that the attacker would have plenty of time to recover, and a glancing blow would not slow the hammer as much. It could be dangerous in a melee with multiple foes due to the vulnerability while recovering from a swing, though.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:31 am »

The head won't bounce back, because it's rigid.

You still don't get the benefit of any sort of follow-through because you're relying entirely on the stored momentum at the end of the lever, not any additional momentum from, say, your own body. That momentum/kinetic energy is all you get. This is why very light hammers are a bad idea, but a very light dagger works well.

You won't get the benefit of a swinging weight at the end, but you can still impart any force that you could with your hands. Depending on the surface area it would be like either a paddle or a rod, made of hollow steal. Armor would make it feel more like a paddle.

This is not true for the reasons stated above. A punch (or stab) carries with it the momentum of your own body, as well as continuously applied force from yourself continuing to push your body forward; you're putting your weight and momentum into it. A "swing" of a sword, mace, hammer, etc. only imparts the momentum imparted to the head of the weapon by the swing.
Daggers are different, yes. The main objective there is to cut.

It's true that hammering technique is designed to capitalize on the weight at the end, whereas a good punch would have your body behind the thrust. So you'd want to fight differently than with a traditional hammer. However, it's far better than a rubber mallet.

A carbon fiber tennis racket may be a better analogy than hollow steal, since those are lighter without breaking easily, and are designed to be light and strong.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 11:57:51 am by King Mir »

Rystic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: November 18, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »

Since the Hammerer is coming back, I thought I'd ask this question:

Do you think it's possible that we'll see prisoner executions in the future? IE, if we have a caged Goblin in a stockpile, would we be able to 'mark it' for execution? This would make life a lot easier than it is now, where we have to disarm prisoners in sort of a hacky-way, then build the cage/mechanisms. It would also give the Hammerer a useful purpose in between punishing dwarves for crimes.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 01:59:31 pm by Rystic »
A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2933 on: November 18, 2011, 01:33:05 pm »

Do you think it's possible that we'll see prisoner executions in the future? IE, if we have a caged Goblin in a stockpile, would we be able to 'mark it' for execution? This would make life a lot easier than it is now, where we have to disarm prisoners in sort of a hacky-way, then build the cage/mechanisms. It would also give the Hammerer a useful purpose in between punishing dwarves for crimes.
It's a little bit easier with the pasture areas. I set up a pasture area right where my soldiers train and assign the prisoner to that. Still complicated if you want to disarm an opponent first though.

Based on answers to other questions, I would assume any improvement on this would wait at least until the army arc. Unless taverns add foreign justice due to bar fights or something.

BTW, if you want Toady to answer a question change the question's text to green.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Rystic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: November 18, 2011, 02:08:52 pm »

It's a little bit easier with the pasture areas. I set up a pasture area right where my soldiers train and assign the prisoner to that. Still complicated if you want to disarm an opponent first though.

If a change like this is implemented, a designated zone for executions would be preferable. I just think there should be some place where a caged prisoner can be safely executed.

BTW, if you want Toady to answer a question change the question's text to green.

Fixed. Ty!
A sturdy creature, fond of drink and industry.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: November 18, 2011, 03:07:57 pm »

I've looked through the dev stuff and the stuff Toady One wrote, but I didn't find anything that directly addressed this... Maybe it's been asked already, I don't know. Anyway...

I have a couple questions about future releases, not this one in particular.
1. Will vampires always submit willingly to their punishment when discovered and accused, or will they ever "transform" - i.e. gain extra strength, tooth length, etc - when threatened? Or possibly discretely attempt to flee the map when found out, coming back later with a new disguise?
2. Similarly, will convicted criminals ever have the option of going (temporarily) berserk and trying to defend themselves against the hammering/beating?

edited for clarity
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:53:45 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: November 18, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »

I've looked through the dev stuff and the stuff Toady One wrote, but I didn't find anything that directly addressed this... Maybe it's been asked already, I don't know. Anyway...

I have a couple questions.
1. Will vampires always submit willingly to their punishment when discovered and accused, or will they "transform" - i.e. gain extra strength, tooth length, etc - when threatened? Or will they possibly discretely attempt to flee the map when found out, coming back later with a new disguise?
2. Similarly, will convicted criminals have the option of going (temporarily) berserk and trying to defend themselves against the hammering/beating?

Last answers, he said no, they stand still and take it like a dorf.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2937 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:19 pm »

I have a couple questions.
1. Will vampires always submit willingly to their punishment when discovered and accused, or will they "transform" - i.e. gain extra strength, tooth length, etc - when threatened? Or will they possibly discretely attempt to flee the map when found out, coming back later with a new disguise?
2. Similarly, will convicted criminals have the option of going (temporarily) berserk and trying to defend themselves against the hammering/beating?

Last answers, he said no, they stand still and take it like a dorf.
I know that, I was meaning to ask if it would always stay that way. I'll change it to be clearer.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: November 18, 2011, 03:53:30 pm »

Oh! Yes, he said he was planning on changing it.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: November 18, 2011, 03:55:11 pm »

Oh! Yes, he said he was planning on changing it.
Fast response. :)   I like it. Didn't even finish editing. All right, if this question has already been answered, should I de-green?
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 298