Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162790 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2955 on: November 20, 2011, 10:04:55 am »

I it has indeed been answered somewhere but I'm not sure what the answer is actually :S

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2956 on: November 20, 2011, 10:06:10 am »

It's just weapon materials right now (which I'm assuming to mean non-DEEP, non-wood materials with the item_weapon tag, but that's not confirmed).

Quote from: LoSboccacc
how much random is material weakness? right now the fortress and the adventurer are severely limited on what materials are usable for smelting weapons or available to purchase at shop.

It always uses weapon materials right now.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2957 on: November 20, 2011, 02:19:41 pm »

Will pottery and waxworking be moodable skills in the upcoming version?
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2958 on: November 20, 2011, 02:31:42 pm »

There's no reason to assume that he touched those specific industries, so odds are pretty low.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2959 on: November 20, 2011, 04:34:13 pm »

There's no reason to assume that he touched those specific industries, so odds are pretty low.

Hasn't he made it so furniture/weapons/crafts/etc in world gen are actually built instead of just spawned randomly now? Seems like that would be touching upon skills in a way.  I don't remember if artifacts can be built yet though...
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2960 on: November 20, 2011, 04:44:55 pm »

Hasn't he made it so furniture/weapons/crafts/etc in world gen are actually built instead of just spawned randomly now? Seems like that would be touching upon skills in a way.  I don't remember if artifacts can be built yet though...
No, if he'd made artifacts happen in worldgen he doubtless would have said. Especially since it would almost certainly entail making strange moods happen in worldgen.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2961 on: November 20, 2011, 08:07:09 pm »

No, if he'd made artifacts happen in worldgen he doubtless would have said. Especially since it would almost certainly entail making strange moods happen in worldgen.

I know they're planned for the thief arc, and hopefully will also involve curses.  but now it's getting off topic.

ends it before it derails, like the hammer talk.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2962 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:05 am »

Will item creation eventually get into Legend of Mana levels, where you can add materials into existing weapons and armor to enhance them (ex. add a coating of adamantine on silver warhammers to drastically increase their durability) and certain combinations of materials will add intrinsics to items?

Actually this question's more for Footkerchief to see because he can search the forum better than I can and I'm not sure if this question was already asked by someone else

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2963 on: November 21, 2011, 09:39:13 am »

Will item creation eventually get into Legend of Mana levels, where you can add materials into existing weapons and armor to enhance them (ex. add a coating of adamantine on silver warhammers to drastically increase their durability) and certain combinations of materials will add intrinsics to items?

Actually this question's more for Footkerchief to see because he can search the forum better than I can and I'm not sure if this question was already asked by someone else

Multi-material weapons have come up:
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Footkerchief
Quote from: diefortheswarm
Question about adamantine weapons.

If you wanted to make an adamantine hammer,  you could make a hollow adamantine shell and fill it with molten lead.  This would be a very effective weapon!  Will we be able to do anything like this in the foreseeable future?

I could have sworn this exact idea came up before, but I couldn't find much.  Anyway, it basically depends on whether/when Toady implements a system for multi-component or multi-material items. <quote about multi-material items>

Yeah, I remember it coming up before as well, at least as somebody's offhand remark, and yeah, we need some more backing in the code but it's definitely something that dwarves would want to do, assuming they don't have some weird ethics regarding mixing adamantine with stuff.  I think at some point there was a rule against improving adamantine items or improving with adamantine, but that might be long gone.

Older quote:
There's some trickiness with items that are actually made from multiple materials.  Things like studding aren't as much of a problem, since the "improvements" on leather items can handle this.  But a lot of the in-game items should actually have several materials just for their basic structure, and it becomes harder to account for them.  Armok I played with making items up from components, but that was sort of a mess.  On the other hand, I'd want to avoid going through all the hassles of fully respecting a half-leather/half-metal item (with respect to things like weight and temperature effects) if I'm just going to flesh it out more later.  So, I dunno.  I have to think more about what items will be like if I change it.  Something like how it keeps track of threads and dyes might work for quite a long time (I think you can change the material of a bucket handle right now for instance), but certain items really don't have one main material, which is the problem.

Intrinsics are kind of game-y and therefore unlikely.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #2964 on: November 21, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »

I cant seem to find any posts on this, though it seems like it should have been answered before and I'm just missing it.

Can dwarfs fight back while being fed on and do vampires avoid military/strong dwarfs? I'd hate to lose my militia commander to the weird guy nobody likes. If they can fight back what skills dictate whether they'll wake up? Will it be an awareness thing, or just a struggle when they are bitten?

Edited for greenening
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 03:13:09 pm by Shinotsa »
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2965 on: November 21, 2011, 02:57:53 pm »

I cant seem to find any posts on this, though it seems like it should have been answered before and I'm just missing it. Can dwarfs fight back while being fed on and do vampires avoid military/strong dwarfs? I'd hate to lose my militia commander to the weird guy nobody likes. If they can fight back what skills dictate whether they'll wake up? Will it be an awareness thing, or just a struggle when they are bitten?
We don't have information on that yet. This would be a good thing to green.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2966 on: November 21, 2011, 03:23:45 pm »

edit: nevermind; misread post.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:03:39 pm by rhesusmacabre »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2967 on: November 21, 2011, 03:27:49 pm »

I cant seem to find any posts on this, though it seems like it should have been answered before and I'm just missing it.

Can dwarfs fight back while being fed on and do vampires avoid military/strong dwarfs? I'd hate to lose my militia commander to the weird guy nobody likes. If they can fight back what skills dictate whether they'll wake up? Will it be an awareness thing, or just a struggle when they are bitten?

Edited for greenening

Toady, said that after the body is discovered or reported, that the combat report will be available. (Probably with some obscuring of the vamp dorf attacking.) So, that seems to imply combat. It might just be reports of Vamp Dorf drinking, but I'd imagine, it'd be form of wrestling. The Vamp higher speed and strength, will probably give him an advantage.

As for target selection, it seems like, from what has been said, that the Vamps just target someone who is asleep. And following general dorf logic, it'll probably be the closet person from the top right, down with no account for pathing distance.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2968 on: November 21, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »

Also, while this is rather off-topic, and not green-worthy really:
When is blood going to fade away correctly, and not spread everywhere all the time?
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2969 on: November 21, 2011, 08:25:08 pm »

Also, while this is rather off-topic, and not green-worthy really:
When is blood going to fade away correctly, and not spread everywhere all the time?

*shrugs* For now, we have an official work around inside the init options.

It might be getting better with this release, or the pending bug fixes afterward, since vampirism is  commutable through their blood. Nothing stated inside the dev logs though.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#
Pages: 1 ... 196 197 [198] 199 200 ... 298