Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162899 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2970 on: November 21, 2011, 08:27:09 pm »

If the blood thing isn't changing, and a well gets contaminated by vampire blood (say by the sheriff after he executes him, or by a survivor of a fight when the vampire did not), will that make vampires, or does the blood need to be pure?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: November 21, 2011, 08:30:49 pm »

If the blood thing isn't changing, and a well gets contaminated by vampire blood (say by the sheriff after he executes him, or by a survivor of a fight when the vampire did not), will that make vampires, or does the blood need to be pure?
From the Dev Log, with the Arena test, he had to make his adventure lick the blood, a fair amount before he became infected. So, it seems like Vampirism, has to be digested for it to spread like that. And contamination sprawl can get on food.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: November 21, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »

Yea, only ingestion causes contamination, altough like ^he said, it raises some interesting questions about blood splattered food or blood mixed in water/booze. That actualy sounds pretty awesome, that we can possibly cause a vampire epidemic by poisoning a town's water supply with vampire blood, or by creating a device involing grates, several axes and a vampire to cause all of your dwarves to become crazy dwarf vampires.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: November 21, 2011, 09:23:47 pm »

On that note,
What happens if all of your dwarves are vampires? Do they feed off each other?

Gaspa Craftdreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: November 22, 2011, 09:40:03 am »

I would guess that vampire afflictions will be procedurally generated, so in some worlds vampires will be your "undying-lich-with-flesh" variety, while in others vampires will have more standard weaknesses like requiring fresh blood to survive, but then again I can't search the forum for beans so I wouldn't know what Toady's final say is.

My prediction is that if your dwarves are all vampires, expect them to do things like feeding on innocent wildlife or willingly wade through an army of goblins just to taste freshly spilled blood.

Damn, someone should make some fanart of a vampire dwarf visiting unholy terror on a group of unsuspecting goblins.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:56 am »

Dwarves starve to death all the time, why would vampires without food not waste away
until they prove undeath is only a temporary state?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: November 22, 2011, 12:39:44 pm »

Actually, he's said that while he intends vampires to be procedurally generated in the future, for now there's just one kind.

Which makes me think of a question:

Toady, while you aren't making varieties of vampires and other undead monsters NOW, have you included the framework for expanding them in the future?  Can we mod in additional types of vampirism ourselves?  If so, are they "whole package" or did you make the framework for random parts in the curse/secrets system?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: November 22, 2011, 01:04:28 pm »

Actually, he's said that while he intends vampires to be procedurally generated in the future, for now there's just one kind.

Which makes me think of a question:

Toady, while you aren't making varieties of vampires and other undead monsters NOW, have you included the framework for expanding them in the future?  Can we mod in additional types of vampirism ourselves?  If so, are they "whole package" or did you make the framework for random parts in the curse/secrets system?

Since night creature cleanup has been checked off, maybe the new raws are even ready for a pre-release peek.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: November 22, 2011, 05:07:09 pm »

Huh? Last I checked, he did say that there were different vampire types, just that the differences are very big (for instance, there are no monstrous type vampires yet). Similar for the animated dead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: November 22, 2011, 05:14:10 pm »

Do vampires, when disguised, still transform others? Say, would Vampire X, who claims to be C, and gets a cut, when D drinks X's blood, would it track it as if it belonged to X or C? Would you be able to tell a vampire if it bleeds by the name on the blood?
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: November 22, 2011, 07:38:25 pm »

Do vampires, when disguised, still transform others? Say, would Vampire X, who claims to be C, and gets a cut, when D drinks X's blood, would it track it as if it belonged to X or C? Would you be able to tell a vampire if it bleeds by the name on the blood?
By my understanding: They aren't actually transforming, they're just assuming a role. The thing with teeth elongating while they feed is separate. Their physical properties remain unchanged, thus the blood still carries the appropriate properties to transform others.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: November 22, 2011, 07:56:56 pm »

By my understanding: They aren't actually transforming, they're just assuming a role. The thing with teeth elongating while they feed is separate. Their physical properties remain unchanged, thus the blood still carries the appropriate properties to transform others.

But what Toady says is that the blood doesn't have any properties that makes it transform except that it is linked to the historical figure who happens to be a vampire. While they are disguised, if they bleed blood of the disguise, would it stop them from transforming others?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: November 23, 2011, 04:11:27 am »

But what Toady says is that the blood doesn't have any properties that makes it transform except that it is linked to the historical figure who happens to be a vampire. While they are disguised, if they bleed blood of the disguise, would it stop them from transforming others?
No. There are disguised ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disguise ), not transformed into different creature.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: November 23, 2011, 05:11:26 am »

No. There are disguised ( http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/disguise ), not transformed into different creature.

Yes. But Toady has ALREADY SAID that if the vampire is not an important historical figure, and gets culled, the blood of it does not work. So will it, as it stands, display the blood as if it were from a vampire (and allow you to identify it) or as the disguisee and allow you to become a vampire or as the disguisee and not turn you into a vampire?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: November 23, 2011, 05:14:57 am »

Why mountain caves are placed only on the borders of mountains?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:19:04 am by Kogut »
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 298