Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160459 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3225 on: December 08, 2011, 12:57:23 am »

Yeah, in my experience Toady works on the bugs that people bug him about most frequently and that are most apparent. I think.
I decided to check this (poll).

BTW, as the thread is derailed: Thanks for bugfixes! And working on interface (the best feature in planned version is reworking "cannot follow orders").
That's not a question.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3226 on: December 08, 2011, 02:23:55 am »

I don't suppose you got pictures of the hole to the underworld.  Or at least a better description.  Was it a hole to the first cavern layer, or were we in danger of having hordes of hidden fun stuff all up in our faces?  Or was it both, and you are hiding some sort of new thing in the caverns from us because it brings you mirth when you see our outraged reactions to unexpected things.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 01:06:55 pm by Rockphed »
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3227 on: December 08, 2011, 03:21:28 am »

Yeah, in my experience Toady works on the bugs that people bug him about most frequently and that are most apparent. I think.

Er, what poll?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3228 on: December 08, 2011, 03:41:47 am »

I want to clump similar stores a bit before I get along to the trading interface stuff, and I should get to all of that tonight.
Well, I would have gotten to the trading interface...

Oh man, this happens to me *all* the time programming.  It's got to the point where if I reckon I'll be able to finish the most trivial of trivial features tonight, I know I can immediately scrap that estimate and pencil completion in for sometime next week.  Though in my case it is certainly due to a lack of skill, I am heartened to hear it even happens to a great programmer like Toady.

Also, would like to echo the anticipation for thirst and hunger, the new adventure mode is going to be a whole new game.  I remember the combat changes from last year spicing things up, but now I feel there is a substantial framework falling into place for some really great adventures.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3229 on: December 08, 2011, 09:26:56 am »

Okay.  Bear with me.  This is gross.

You are re-enabling thirst with dungeon and sewer exploration in mind.  Does this mean that we should be packing full waterskins--i.e., are there going to be hazards (contaminants, diseases, etc.) inherent in drinking sewer water as we find it on the floor or in channels?

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3230 on: December 08, 2011, 10:27:29 am »

Okay.  Bear with me.  This is gross.

You are re-enabling thirst with dungeon and sewer exploration in mind.  Does this mean that we should be packing full waterskins--i.e., are there going to be hazards (contaminants, diseases, etc.) inherent in drinking sewer water as we find it on the floor or in channels?

Speaking of which...... Will drinking vomit and blood as a staple be subject to horrific illnesses?
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3231 on: December 08, 2011, 10:44:30 am »

I wonder what the player will notice of the adventurer being ill? . . .

Code: [Select]
*Your belly hurts*
*You vomit on your feet*
I: vomit -It has sunberries!
East, East, North.
*You...*
*... it is now dark.*
* It appears you passed out. *
* You are surrounded by Bogeymen. *
[/color]
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3232 on: December 08, 2011, 10:50:25 am »

I'm not quite certain that adventurer hunger will change the game all that much - food tends to be easy enough to get through butchery. I suppose dungeons will have fewer butcherable creatures, but on the whole, I'm not certain whether it'll mean much (companion hunger, on the other hand...). Thirst of course should become more of an issue than food.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3233 on: December 08, 2011, 10:51:46 am »

I wonder what the player will notice of the adventurer being ill? . . .

Code: [Select]
*Your belly hurts*
*You vomit on your feet*
I: vomit -It has sunberries!
East, East, North.
*You...*
*... it is now dark.*
* It appears you passed out. *
* You are surrounded by Bogeymen. *
[/color]

I hope this will be accompanied by detailed status report on each body part:

Your left hand itches a little.
You have small trouble focusing your eyes in bright sunlight.
Your right left tooh feels uncomfortable.

Player: OMG, I have malaria! And scurvy! And heart disease!

... Yay for hypochondria.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3234 on: December 08, 2011, 11:18:31 am »

Er, what poll?
This: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94802.0 (there is a link in my signature).
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3235 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:03 pm »

Wait, one problem : Could an adventurer drink forever by making himself ill to drink his vomit to get ill etc. ad infinitum?

Actually, that takes horror to a new level. Damn my dorfy mind...
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3236 on: December 08, 2011, 04:32:21 pm »

Guys, if Toady was going to add contamination and disease, he would have said something about it. That would be a nontrivial addition.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3237 on: December 08, 2011, 08:26:55 pm »

Do we have ingested poisons yet?  It has come up a few times before but as I recall you cannot be poisoned by eating things at this time. 
where is up?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3238 on: December 08, 2011, 08:35:23 pm »

Do we have ingested poisons yet?  It has come up a few times before but as I recall you cannot be poisoned by eating things at this time.

Ingested interactions (ie vampire blood) seems to imply syndromes can now be ingested as well.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3239 on: December 09, 2011, 04:09:58 am »

Speaking of which...... Will drinking vomit and blood as a staple be subject to horrific illnesses?
Ingested interactions (ie vampire blood) seems to imply syndromes can now be ingested as well.

Hmm, well then, it would be pretty easy to make drinking vomit/grime/etc cause illness.  If it doesn't go in vanilla, then I'm sure it will get modded in within a week of release. 
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 04:12:16 am by Caldfir »
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 214 215 [216] 217 218 ... 298