Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1154186 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3240 on: December 09, 2011, 08:04:59 am »

Ingested interactions (ie vampire blood) seems to imply syndromes can now be ingested as well.

It's confirmed that ingested syndromes will be possible in the next version, specifically for vampire blood - the interaction framework is essentially an expansion of the syndrome framework in that regard.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3241 on: December 09, 2011, 09:07:56 am »

Speaking of which...... Will drinking vomit and blood as a staple be subject to horrific illnesses?
Do we have ingested poisons yet?  It has come up a few times before but as I recall you cannot be poisoned by eating things at this time.
Ingested interactions (ie vampire blood) seems to imply syndromes can now be ingested as well.

Hmm, well then, it would be pretty easy to make drinking vomit/grime/etc cause illness.  If it doesn't go in vanilla, then I'm sure it will get modded in within a week of release.

I am not sure if modding blood to be "poison" is such a good idea...

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: December 09, 2011, 11:05:32 am »

Speaking of which...... Will drinking vomit and blood as a staple be subject to horrific illnesses?
Do we have ingested poisons yet?  It has come up a few times before but as I recall you cannot be poisoned by eating things at this time.

Hmm, well then, it would be pretty easy to make drinking vomit/grime/etc cause illness.  If it doesn't go in vanilla, then I'm sure it will get modded in within a week of release.

I think it's the BEST idea. poison only works when ingested, whereas venom only works when introduced into the bloodstream. so it'd be okay to mod it to be blood, since it wouldn't do anything til they drank it. I don't know how that would work in the game, but it makes me excited.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: December 09, 2011, 01:51:25 pm »

if blood is going to be a poison make it so that only other peoples blood can make you ill.
this will add AIDs to DF.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: December 09, 2011, 01:57:14 pm »

if blood is going to be a poison make it so that only other peoples blood can make you ill.
this will add AIDs to DF.

Classy. Classy as hell.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

murlocdummy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: December 09, 2011, 01:59:04 pm »

Frankly, I don't see how drinking blood shouldn't poison you.  It's poisonous in real life due to it rotting extremely quickly.  Then again, it would probably have to give you an infection after sitting for more than a few minutes or so to be completely realistic, or have to have some sort of "preservative" item added to food to prevent it from rotting.

murlocdummy, you should really move this discussion to this thread. That's where it  belongs, people won't complain about you posting there.

Also, trying to guess upcoming bugs is pointless. You're forgetting that the game's main issue aren't bugs but user-unfriendliness - interface, micromanagement, tedium etc. You got it right in your rant, don't get sidetracked by bugs.

Jiri, I just think that a thread titled "Future of the Fortress" ought to be more than just a place to put all of your "OMG, I'm so excited for new releases!" posts.  Also, I'm sorry that this post is so brief and not well thought-out.  I'll endeavor to make future posts more comprehensive.

BTW, what's Toady's policy for donation refunds?  I've tried looking around the forums for mention of it, but it doesn't seem like it's ever come up.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:04:51 pm by murlocdummy »

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: December 09, 2011, 02:22:16 pm »

BTW, what's Toady's policy for donation refunds?  I've tried looking around the forums for mention of it, but it doesn't seem like it's ever come up.

Just send him an e-mail explaining your problem and I'm sure Toady will be reasonable.

I did something wrong myself with my first donation (donated Euros iso USD or something), as I was laid off and destitute at the time I was highly appreciative of DF distracting me but one still has to eat as well... Toady sent me half the credits back. :)

Keep in mind that Paypal charges Tarn for every transaction. (IIRC 3% +20cts)

----

Also ALL nutricious fluids need to be sweetened, salted, boiled, fermented, etc. or they will spoil very quickly, not just blood.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:30:38 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: December 09, 2011, 02:26:31 pm »

PM or email Toady about it.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: December 09, 2011, 03:14:01 pm »

Classy. Classy as hell.

I'm waiting for someone to declare simulated AIDS to be "dwarfy".

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: December 09, 2011, 03:17:06 pm »

I think we should start up a betting pool (Using non-real money, of course) to bet what isn't going to work in the next update.I'm going to put 5☼ on lumps of stones being edible in Adventure.

Also, 15☼ on at least 3 shops not calculating item values correctly and giving you wrong prices for things
20☼ on at least 2 shops either taking your money without giving you the items you selected to buy, or giving you money without taking the items you selected to sell

I'm pretty sure that even when the sewer system is released, it will only be half-finished, with each town having a completely non-functioning sewer system that's almost completely incapable of being explored by your adventurer, and by that time, Toady will already be working on warships to be released sometime in 2015.

I'd like to see vampires, mummies, and war with other civilizations, but I don't want to get vampires that come out of specifically mummy-defined sarcophaguses, mummies sucking blood, or civilization wars that involve you having to micromanage your entire army just so that they don't starve to death in the middle of battle, dropping 45 food items all over their dead bodies, and causing the enemy to stop attacking you so that they can pick up the loot.

Each of these quotes is from a different post by murlocdmmy disdaining Toady's work by guessing ridiculous problems the next release may have. He tries do disarm people by calling us all fanboys. And no one point how ridicuous he is in doing so.

I'm disgusted at this forum. Really disgusted. I'm going to be banned by Toady but I will continue to support and play the game.

Trying to reasoning with a troll like him is impossible, so, murlocdummy, get a life. Also, fuck you.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: December 09, 2011, 03:19:39 pm »

Asking for a refund on a donation is... I don't know. I'm kind of paralyzed by the audacity of that!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: December 09, 2011, 03:34:49 pm »

Asking for a refund on a donation is... I don't know. I'm kind of paralyzed by the audacity of that!

He may have a good reason for it. Unless he wants the donation back simply because he isn't satisfied with the game no more... in which case I'd have to wonder if he does the same thing to the Salvation Army Santa Clauses.

Him: "Here's 5 bucks."
Santa: "Thank you, this will go to helping others."
Him: "Wait, you mean I don't get anything out of it? Give it back!"

That aside, I wonder what the improvements to the adventure trading screen will be...
I mean, I never really did any trading in adventure mode... I always just salvaged stuff from lairs and camps. Then I'd die in the process.

I imagine though with the new cities, tombs, dungeons, and catacombs I'll probably spend a good bit in adventure mode this time. Though I am also looking forward to the dwarf mode stuff, like historical migrants and the better unit screen. Then there's the stuff that affects both modes, vampires, were-creatures, and necromancers. It may not change the game drastically, but there is certainly going to be enough to keep me busy for while.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:55:21 pm by EmeraldWind »
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: December 09, 2011, 04:00:24 pm »

Not like toady is in any (legal) way obligated to refund it, since its a donation :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: December 09, 2011, 04:11:05 pm »

I could see a few reasonable reasons why one could want to do so. Namely you give something, but a disaster happens and you need as much money as possible... Or, as shown above, you entered the wrong amount on Paypal.
I would stay speechless if you donated something and asked it back because you "thought u ad 2 buy it" or "der wer no updates in 4evar !".

To murlocdummy: I am highly admirative of the scope of Df and Toady's devotion to his life project. I could be considered a fanboy under this regard. Many people are more or less in my case. However, we see the shortcomings of Toady's decisions (the UI problems, the failure to follow the recent development schedule, etc). We had the chance to ask him before, and it turns out his decisions all have a perfectly sensible reason behind it.

Yes there will be bugs, it's normal. It's not a problem, though. The funniest moments of DF were bugs. There was a thread trying to predict what bugs would happen, much like you, except people in there weren't so unpleasant.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: December 09, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »

Thvaz, if you think he is a troll, it would be more productive for you to ignore him than to get angry at him. This forum does have an ignore function. Yes, the bits you quoted are extreme distortions of potential bugs or outright flights of fancy. But he isn't the only one who's posted exaggerations like this, and most people who do so (when they aren't posting them in good humor) post them out of frustration - frustration at the (semi-perceived*) lack of (needed**) bugfixes as well as improvements, mostly. And ridiculing frustrated exaggerations isn't going to lessen the frustration any bit. There's also a growing sense of "no-release fatigue" I'm picking up in several people, considering this was to be the first in a series of short-term releases.

*Semi-perceived since, yes, we haven't had a bugfix release in a while, but that's mostly because we haven't had a release in a while, period - the next round of bugfixes is scheduled after this release, after all.

**I think about anyone can agree that bugfixes are  needed for several things. Some of them might not be easy fixes, though, and thus may have to wait while other bugs are fixed or new content is added, which again fuels the frustrations of people.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 298