Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162386 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3285 on: December 10, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »

With fairly large towns being in the next release are there plans to have certain non-domestic animals appear in and under them? Rats, pigeons, and cockroaches being some of the obvious ones. Perhaps new BIOME tokens are in order?

Killing giant rats in some poor NPCs basement as an early quest seems appropriate even if a little clichéd.
Well, we'll get sewer/dungeon/catacomb dwellers, so some aspect of "under them" is taken care off, and it seems that it should be relatively easy to allow some more creatures in basements (once they're in), roads, and town skies.

I noticed that any undead-ed creature's strength and toughness are reset to a range from 300 to 1000. Would there be a way to make it multiply current values instead, or perhaps abide by a minimum value so that undead rats are as nasty as undead rats should be?
While I don't know just what the numbers mean, I can almost guarantee that they are not a range that those attributes are set to. These tags are specifically in there to make sure that the animated dead aren't as weak as some of the first dev posts indicated, and setting the attributes that low would be the opposite. As a guess, I'd say the ATTRIBUTE:X:Y tag adds X to the ATTRIBUTE, and sets it to a minimum of Y if it's still below that.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3286 on: December 10, 2011, 04:29:45 pm »

Mummy
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Necromancer
Regional Zombies
Werewolf
Vampire

For a moment, I seriously thought I had to be careful not to grin my ears off.

thezeus18

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: December 10, 2011, 05:13:34 pm »

This is a stupid question, but are there any plans, however long-term, to add plate tectonics to worldgen? Perhaps as described here: http://www.reddit.com/r/worldbuilding/comments/n6u3s/does_rworldbuilding_have_any_problems_with/c36vgn9?context=1

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: December 10, 2011, 05:46:26 pm »

Do you mean tectonic plates that actually shift during worldgen, or just more terrain realism? Because the former would most probably break worldgen as we know it.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3289 on: December 10, 2011, 06:22:13 pm »

Outside of cataclysms or Chaos Geography, worldgen doesn't cover timescales where tectonic shift would be significant, apart for the very longest of 10,000+ years, which aren't very viable in world sizes where tectonic shift would be interesting, so plate tectonics should really be limited to terrain realism, earthquake distribution, and the like.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: December 10, 2011, 06:29:15 pm »

Earthquakes could be simulated by randomly-generating cave-in dust, or simply by creatures jittering around as if they were dodging something.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: December 10, 2011, 08:16:30 pm »

Awesome posts- hooray for Toady!

Am I the only one pumped for the personality rewrite and succession issues being bumped up? I think those were the things I was looking forward to most, so I'm extremely happy they're getting moved earlier in the schedule.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: December 10, 2011, 08:19:15 pm »

Am I the only one pumped for the personality rewrite and succession issues being bumped up? I think those were the things I was looking forward to most, so I'm extremely happy they're getting moved earlier in the schedule.

My excitement is tempered by reality and how it will probably be very simple and "at a arm's length" long after it has been added.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: December 10, 2011, 08:23:58 pm »

My excitement is tempered by reality and how it will probably be very simple and "at a arm's length" long after it has been added.

I've very excited for that release myself. Its intended goal, it to all for Army Arc villains, but apparently, it'll hold the framework for more indepth fort mode interactions, like crimes.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: December 10, 2011, 08:39:53 pm »

Huh, I asked quite a bit more than usual this time. Thanks for the answers!
Quote from: Cruxador
Are we going to get more specific in-period names for businesses that are used within the game?

I'm more or less for it, in general, if we have something that fits.  I don't know quite how esoteric it gets though, and what we're going to have that matches up.  I've seen lists of names but I don't know a lot of the specifics.  What did you have in mind?
By my recollection, there were some shop names listed in the devlog that seemed incorrect to me, but I can't find the post now, so I'm not sure.
When you get such things done, how much interbreeding between different breeds/populations do you anticipate their being? How much variance is there in a cat (or any other domestic animal) population at the moment, and how much would you see as ideal? I know such things would be influenced heavily by the size and age of the population, but I'd appreciate some general thoughts on the situation.
Quote from: Heph
What would interest me is if and how the pet keeping species decide which traits they favour and want in a animal? I could see Humans for example keep atleast 3 kinds of horses 1 each for light and heavy cavalery and one as work-horse.
Quote from: Anatoli
Are there going to be any gene variances (in cats) from inside a town, or is it going to be mostly one kind per town? Are there going to be any ways for animals to travel between towns besides trade? What are (will be) the triggers for a trade in these animals?

The breed allows for some variation now, so it's a bit more (too?) flexible than the word would suggest I suppose.  The breed definition restricts the available genes, but doesn't specify them entirely.  I think ideally there'd be animals bred toward specific purposes, as well as perhaps a stray population of some of the animals that takes traits from both the breeds as well as at random (or perhaps all the way back toward being random -- or further, specialized for stray living, since a lot of the breed characteristics wouldn't be adapted to that environment).  I think animal trade is quite limited now in world gen.  It doesn't worry about mixing populations or anything either.  Overall, it's very simple, but it's a start.
As far as stray populations go, I saw a documentary on the feral dogs of East St. Lewis not too long ago. Despite blood tests indicating different breed mixes, they were all medium-sized dogs with black coats and pointed ears.

Quote from: Vertigon
I really enjoyed the monthly report containing the actual numbers of issues left to work out. Any chance of that happening more often in the devlog?

I decided against having a running countdown during the last long release, when it became more of an annoyance to manage than a motivator for development.  So probably not.  I've never really found a good way of communicating release timing, because there isn't a good estimate of the release time.  The list of issues I greened out before doesn't really work, since there's always a mass of crap to cleanup after it's all greened out.  I'm ostensibly doing that cleaning list now, but it's always a three steps forward two steps back kind of thing.  I'm just trying to log as much as I can, as boring as lot of it is, with the vague idea more or less that I'm moving down the issue list from the report, even if I expect a few big bumps up ahead there, where one optimization issue or another might eat a few days or more all by itself.[/quote]I don't find that stuff boring. I'm pretty sure I'm far from unique in this.

I am pleased as most of that personality rewrites are required for are things I'd quite like to interact with. The rewrite itself is of less particular importance to me, although getting some more concrete and definite personality traits and getting them more involved in more decisions would be a significant boon.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3295 on: December 10, 2011, 08:52:07 pm »

I dont know if Pest-control should be a appropriate "Quest" but you could earn some money as "Rat-catcher", iirc. some cities paid you good money for each rat-tail you brought in. Day labor in general would be a good way to make small quantities of money if needed.
I was less than serious for that last bit. It's a typical RPG quest.

With fairly large towns being in the next release are there plans to have certain non-domestic animals appear in and under them? Rats, pigeons, and cockroaches being some of the obvious ones. Perhaps new BIOME tokens are in order?

Killing giant rats in some poor NPCs basement as an early quest seems appropriate even if a little clichéd.
Well, we'll get sewer/dungeon/catacomb dwellers, so some aspect of "under them" is taken care off, and it seems that it should be relatively easy to allow some more creatures in basements (once they're in), roads, and town skies.
I suppose what I should be asking is can we get things to spawn in sewers, dungeons, catacombs, and above ground in cities specifically using biome like tokens perhaps?.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: December 10, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »

Are we going to get more specific in-period names for businesses that are used within the game?

I'm more or less for it, in general, if we have something that fits.  I don't know quite how esoteric it gets though, and what we're going to have that matches up.  I've seen lists of names but I don't know a lot of the specifics.  What did you have in mind?
By my recollection, there were some shop names listed in the devlog that seemed incorrect to me, but I can't find the post now, so I'm not sure.

This one?
Red is the butcher, green is plants, and brown are constructed goods from other cities.
So it's a butcher a grocer, and a trader/hardware store? Are we going to get more specific in-period names for businesses that are used within the game?

I don't find that stuff boring. I'm pretty sure I'm far from unique in this.

Yeah, the daily tidbits never get old for me.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:01:33 pm by Footkerchief »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: December 10, 2011, 09:01:31 pm »

I don't find that stuff boring. I'm pretty sure I'm far from unique in this.

Yeah, the daily tidbits never get old for me.

I concur. They make me feel connected to the development of the game, and keep me interested for the next release.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: December 10, 2011, 09:03:49 pm »

This one?
Red is the butcher, green is plants, and brown are constructed goods from other cities.
So it's a butcher a grocer, and a trader/hardware store? Are we going to get more specific in-period names for businesses that are used within the game?
Well that'd be why I couldn't find it in the dev log. Yeah, "plants" and "constructed goods" seemed like less than ideal ways to refer to shops.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: December 11, 2011, 02:01:05 am »

NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN - I noticed this tag in a couple of the entries in the new interaction based nightcreatures. Does it prevent future Attribute gains for the creature?

This is interesting because I noticed that it is on vampires and necromancers. It would seem if a creature became a necromancer/vampire/etc, other than immediate gains to Attributes due to the syndrome, they would cease to grow in physical attributes. Thus a necromancer could in theory be really weak and never really get much stronger.

IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:WERECURSE-
IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:VAMPCURSE-
IT_CANNOT_HAVE_SYNDROME_CLASS:DISTURBANCE_CURSE- I also noticed these. Last time it was asked, you mentioned that different curses could possibly overlap, but these tags seem to imply otherwise. Has this changed or is this just the case for the example creatures?

Will the examples actually be in the raw folder to be generated in a world or will we just get the randomized interactions/creatures?

How do werebeasts determine to ignore similar werebeasts? Do they just check the other creature's current form, do they look at the underlying syndrome for the same syndrome, look at the creature definition the syndrome references, or some other way?

We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 298