Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1161673 times)

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3825 on: January 18, 2012, 04:55:02 pm »

Ominous!

Possibly showing solidarity with other websites doing blackouts today?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 04:58:15 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: January 18, 2012, 04:59:29 pm »

Nooo! I need my daily fix!

snpaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: January 18, 2012, 05:16:58 pm »

Why the devlog of the day 01/18/2012 is blank???

I assumed he was trying to subtly protest sopa and Pipa

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:26 pm »

I doubt it's a solidarity thing, since I'd wager Toady would provide more information than a blank devlog. My guess is he just mis-posted.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: January 18, 2012, 05:17:39 pm »

Either it is simple mistake, or his own contribution for today SOPA and PIPA protests. If he will leave it and post for 19 as usual, we can be certain it is deliberate.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: January 18, 2012, 06:18:34 pm »

I'd assume it's a SOPA / PIPA protest, given the timing.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: January 18, 2012, 06:24:15 pm »

Most of the people who go on this site either think sopa is moronic or, like myself, live somewhere were corporate interests have slightly less of a stranglehold on government policy.

The sites which are protesting sopa are used by a wider variety of people and are completely down, the fact that we're still posting shows that this isn't the case.

Maybe he just accidentally created the blank post.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: January 18, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »

Most of the people who go on this site either think sopa is moronic or, like myself, live somewhere were corporate interests have slightly less of a stranglehold on government policy.

You're not out of danger. Most servers are located in the US. Google and Paypal are forced to cease cooperation with you if SOPA says so.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: January 18, 2012, 07:04:16 pm »

Moreover if the USA pass SOPA/PIPA other countries are pressed to pass similiar laws or have an incentive to do so because hey the USA are doing it. The USA are also already pressing theyr legislation into other countries as seen for example with ACTA and some paid laws in countries like Spain or New Zealand.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: January 18, 2012, 07:09:49 pm »

I didn't think Toady and TT could have gotten much more awesome.   Today's devlog has proven me wrong.  I'm buying you two a few cases of Dr Pepper.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:27:17 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: January 18, 2012, 07:19:35 pm »

I lean to the side that he misposted. The devlog was about 7 hours ahead of schedule.
But I just wanted to make the question formal to make sure Toady answers it. (not like he won't otherwise. It's not like he doesn't respond to a whole page of conspiracy theories.

But I find the blank devlog thoughtfully hilarious, whatever the intentions. Also, Toady, what is your stance on SOPA and the like. I reckon (from Dwarf Talk) you are pretty paranoid about such things.

For those who don't remember what Toady said, he said that his reasons for not implementing any mods, tilesets, not making DF open-source, and for working alone included that he was afraid he'd get bogged down in legislation, which would distract him from his work.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: January 18, 2012, 07:49:53 pm »

Toady accidentally the whole devlog
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: January 18, 2012, 08:51:42 pm »

You're not out of danger. Most servers are located in the US. Google and Paypal are forced to cease cooperation with you if SOPA says so.
I actually meant that we wouldn't have a say either way, also if the US government is daft enough to enact this then I'll bet those companies will just relocate their servers to a country which doesn't impose those kind of laws. This is especially true for multinational companies like google who could be badly mauled by these laws.

It seems like the US government is burning its house down to get rid of a mouse and people like Robert Murdoch are selling the matches (when he's not running newspapers that hack into the voicemail of murdered schoolgirls)

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: January 18, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »

I assumed he was trying to subtly protest sopa and Pipa

I agree;  it seemed obvious to me when I saw it today.  I thought it was very clever!  We love you Toady and Threetoe!!!
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: January 19, 2012, 07:16:38 am »

So, the wombat man fighting giant storks and octopus men went so bad (in a Fun way of course) it had to be censored?  :o

If related to SOPA I find the blank update pretty clever.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 298