Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1162959 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3975 on: January 24, 2012, 04:10:04 pm »

That's the only way to implement them within the current scope of the raws, but I believe they have a more robust implementation in the actual code of the game that's independent from creatures, and treated as a special class of flowing substance.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3976 on: January 24, 2012, 04:13:19 pm »

I can't wait to make a cloud of molten gold mist...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: January 24, 2012, 04:56:11 pm »

gold covering 4th toe, right foot... ad nauseum. :)
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

O11O1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: January 24, 2012, 05:13:25 pm »

gold covering 4th toe, right foot... ad nauseum. :)

Which reminds me, is the inventory screen at some point going to display such coverings under shorter, more generalized headings? if their hand is covered, it seems safe to imply that all five fingers are also covered. If it seems important to be able to double check, perhaps we could open up the covering, in the same manner we might open up and look inside a quiver or carried bin?
A slight smell of ions.....

... "My student guidance counselor said my personality test results came back, and my ideal career is as a brigand because I love hurting people and stealing stuff, with a Life Goal of killing 3 or 4 adventurers" ...

Livonya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: January 24, 2012, 06:39:41 pm »

I took a class on vampirism in college. Best class ever. Counted as either a literature, film, or German Language class depending on how you signed up for it. Not nearly as easy a course as you'd think... (Instructor was a little bit batty as well. She hated margins, line spacing, and paragraph breaks, so all your papers had to be printed out as a single block of text from the upper left to the bottom right corners of the page...)

I also took that class at University of California Santa Barbara in 1988 or so.

The professor wore a black leather trench coat with purple lining.  He was a funny fellow.

I believe the class was called Vampirism in German Literature, though it covered plenty of vampirism that wasn't part of German Literature.  A great class.

Never-the-less, with my training in vampirism, I will stay out of this argument over vampiric powers as I tend to find arguments about fictional creatures to be a bit of a dead end... though fun.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 06:41:31 pm by Livonya »

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: January 24, 2012, 07:12:05 pm »

To each their own vampires.

Taking a stab in the dark here:
Will it be possible to make a creature emit a 'mist' via modding?

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: January 24, 2012, 07:35:09 pm »

I don't know if this has been covered, but

Will it be possible for certain things (like the aforementioned yellow mist) to be disabled during worldgen?

Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: January 24, 2012, 07:54:14 pm »

Will it be possible for certain things (like the aforementioned yellow mist) to be disabled during worldgen?
They're easy to avoid.

Dont embark or adventure in evil regions.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: January 24, 2012, 07:58:28 pm »

They're easy to avoid.

Oddly enough for any feature that sets any amount of difficulty towards the player but doesn't have an obvious off switch... You get people asking for the ability to shut it off.

There was already entire threads on outright disabling the threat of reviving undead, digging creatures (and no, not JUST for their ability to create tunnels but their ability to actually land blows), and even just random death.

Mind you, it isn't like there arn't features I don't want toned down, but your going to get this constantly.

Also Mists are very harmless in Dwarf Fortress given the amount of time dwarves spend outdoors (may I add that "Cave adaption" is a thing). If anything it is a benefit to your fortress and can be used to take down siegers if your lucky.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:01:15 pm by Neonivek »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:18 pm »

They're easy to avoid.

Oddly enough for any feature that sets any amount of difficulty towards the player but doesn't have an obvious off switch... You get people asking for the ability to shut it off.

There was already entire threads on outright disabling the threat of reviving undead, digging creatures (and no, not JUST for their ability to create tunnels but their ability to actually land blows), and even just random death.

Mind you, it isn't like there arn't features I don't want toned down, but your going to get this constantly.

Also Mists are very harmless in Dwarf Fortress given the amount of time dwarves spend outdoors (may I add that "Cave adaption" is a thing). If anything it is a benefit to your fortress and can be used to take down siegers if your lucky.

What if you want to play a mod that strongly discourages digging?  Or you're a modder with something specific in mind for evil regions?  Or you just plain want to play an evil region and be able to go outside?  Considering this is a game that is eventually supposed to let you  an entirely underwater world, or start as a dragon, its a bit strange you're complaining about something that would give the player control over the setting of their game.

Not that I care specifically, the mists sound crazy entertaining.  But if I were trying to make a mod set in a specific fictional universe or setting, it would be obnoxious to have mandatory syndrome clouds.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: January 24, 2012, 09:15:34 pm »

I would bet that if they can't get outright disabled in init you could disable them some way in the raws.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: January 24, 2012, 09:40:06 pm »

To each their own vampires.

Taking a stab in the dark here:
Will it be possible to make a creature emit a 'mist' via modding?

This can already be done using the creature token [SECRETION:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:FLUID:GAS:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN] where FLUID is the material that you want to emit as a gas (refer to the cave blob raws).

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: January 24, 2012, 10:39:13 pm »

That unfortunately causes a weird pulsing effect instead of the smoke/miasma look I'm thinking of.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: January 24, 2012, 11:48:25 pm »

That unfortunately causes a weird pulsing effect instead of the smoke/miasma look I'm thinking of.

It still does in fact make creatures emit clouds of whatever material -- it just needs more options, like a frequency parameter.  Toady isn't going to tack on another system to do the same thing.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: January 24, 2012, 11:57:39 pm »

RE: New Devlog

Oooh, apparently when adventurers get ganked out in the middle of the woods, the game remembers where that happened so you can find it with a subsequent adventurer OR dwarves that will later embark there! That means we could have adventurers survey sites for future embarks, and leave presents and markers for those dwarves!
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 298