Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1160616 times)

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #4005 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:27 am »

Toady, I'm glad that you're testing thoroughly, butreleasethenewversionalreadypleaseIbegyou.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4006 on: January 26, 2012, 01:44:39 am »

Toady, I'm glad that you're testing thoroughly, butreleasethenewversionalreadypleaseIbegyou.

Trust me, you don't want him to do that.

The big releases are nearly unplayable even with all the rigorous testing that Toady and ThreeToe do; after all, they are just two men testing the mammoth of interconnecting frameworks and stuff that this game is. Expect at least 6 bugfix releases soon after the first release of the new version.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4007 on: January 26, 2012, 02:27:50 am »

Does this mean fortress item scattering will be toned down in the next release? Just curious.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

EddyP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4008 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:12 am »

Trust me, you don't want him to do that.

The big releases are nearly unplayable even with all the rigorous testing that Toady and ThreeToe do; after all, they are just two men testing the mammoth of interconnecting frameworks and stuff that this game is. Expect at least 6 bugfix releases soon after the first release of the new version.

Yeah, I was around for DF2010. But as I see it, whatever he does there will be bugs galore; when he releases it, rather than two men testing the game, there'll be hundreds.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4009 on: January 26, 2012, 03:33:12 am »

Mayby he doesnt need that kind of testing. Hes fixing bugs he already knows exist
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4010 on: January 26, 2012, 04:32:28 am »

Does this mean fortress item scattering will be toned down in the next release? Just curious.
Asked on the previous page.

Answer, no. Expanded answer, on the previous page.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4011 on: January 26, 2012, 06:41:46 am »

Patience.
Let Toady finish the planned map maintenance issues. He has to do them eventually and since it affects how game remembers placed items, I bet it also breaks save compatibility. So it is better to have it done now than later.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4012 on: January 26, 2012, 08:56:08 am »

Question: are there any plans to implement a feature that will allow mass "Trade" designations, similar to the "Dump" and "Forbid" functions (d->b->T, perhaps)? This would sure make moving all those +green glass goblets+ a much less monotonous task.
No.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4013 on: January 26, 2012, 09:27:31 am »

I wonder of we'll get any immortal blobs or super powdered fish this time.

Should be fun!

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4014 on: January 26, 2012, 11:18:53 am »

super powdered fish

A forgotten beast has arrived! An enormous fish, composed entirely of powder! Beware its texture!
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4015 on: January 26, 2012, 01:37:23 pm »

super powdered fish

A forgotten beast has arrived! An enormous fish, composed entirely of powder! Beware its texture!
I was actually talking about carp, in the older games they had the can learn tag and all became legendary swimmers and as such slaughtered dwarfs like they were pottery lawn ornaments.

Anatoli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4016 on: January 26, 2012, 04:51:12 pm »

One, a person with a high conversation should be able to see right through your nice words that you only want to lead them on a murderous rampage to use as a cannon meat.

Two, a person with high self-esteem (I can assume high conversation = higher self esteem) might want not to go with the first stranger they see. They might want to wait until someone better comes along, confident that they will be able to convince them that they will be allowed to join.
See http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Personality_trait and http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Conversationalist
Don't see your point.

Here's my guess: The stuff I said somehow goes outside the current established framework. But DF is going for something more realistic. Also, Toady himself said that current personality system sucks.

What I wanted to say, is that I don't see a problem with a high NPC trait reflecting negatively on you. Probably the way Toady encountered it, it sucks, but the concept is interesting.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4017 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »

What I wanted to say, is that I don't see a problem with a high NPC trait reflecting negatively on you. Probably the way Toady encountered it, it sucks, but the concept is interesting.
I think the change was done more because it made recruiting soldiers much harder than it should be as a game mechanic.  If the simulation is accurately tracking conversation skills, then invariably you're going to be running into heaps of worldgen individuals who are "legendary consolers" or whatever, and that just makes it arbitrary and hard to understand from the player's perspective.  If there was some way to tell who had great social skills and who didn't it would make sense, but without that you just have potential party members turning you down with no observable cause. 

In any case, this sort of thing is doubtless going to get revisited in the personality rewrite. 
where is up?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4018 on: January 26, 2012, 05:48:46 pm »

super powdered fish

I was actually talking about carp, in the older games they had the can learn tag and all became legendary swimmers and as such slaughtered dwarfs like they were pottery lawn ornaments.
Then you should have used the phrase "super-powered," not "super-powdered".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4019 on: January 26, 2012, 05:55:50 pm »

I don't know if someone has already asked this, but do you plan to fix the Dungeon Keeper bug for the next version of DF?
Pages: 1 ... 266 267 [268] 269 270 ... 298